Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed into a pole at a gas station and destroyed my bumper cover and tail gate on my sky blue metallic outback. I was going less than 1/2 mph. The pole totally missed the bumper support and barely hit the rear hatch. The damage is 2942.98. it did not damage the opening or the quarter panel so just bolt on parts can be used. I am trying to find a undamaged bumper cover and rear hatch for my ob within 300 miles of tulsa. It must be the same year so that the paint will match.

I am seriously considering trading my ob off just as soon as it is repaired if I can't find find perfect take off parts to make the repairs. The main reason for that is that I think that the new parts that are painted will look great and in a few years you will be able to see a difference because of the difference of he fade rates from the factory paint compared to the body shop painted parts.

I have not told the insurance company about the accident and have the ability to pay for the repair out of my pocket so that there will never be a paper trail or car fax history on the car making it unable to be traded in under the GTP.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Have a good shop paint it and there won't be any difference. Sure, if you have Maaco paint it you'll have fade issues, but any shop using quality auto finishes will result in no difference especially if the paint is taken care of properly.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did the same thing, (backed into a post that protected a gate card reader) I didn't see it when backing up because it hid below the level of the tail gate. Had to get a new bumper cover and tailgate. Using Subaru parts the repair came to about the same price as yours. The paint was matched flawlessly and the shop guarantees the paint for life, per what is in writing on the paperwork against fading and chipping etc. I am pretty pleased with the repair.

I too wanted to trade it in, but I just chalk it up to character and experience for the car. As I stated, all parts that were used where Subaru OEM. Only thing I would have done differently is paid out of pocket because my insurance raped me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Is the rear hatch really completely destroyed if it barely hit it? pics would be helpful! (if it's just mushed in a bit, bring it to a paintless dent repair place with a decent reputation, and they should be able to at least get it back in shape. That way you are just looking at paint if it's not too bad.

A rear bumper cover goes for $250 (msrp) unpainted - you might be able to save a bit picking one up off ebay, but they are often damaged, so a new one would be a better idea. Look around town to see if there are any auto salvage places - usually, they can source whatever you want (a color match might be tough, though - generally speaking, you get what you get)

I wouldn't worry one bit about paint fade - if you go to a decent shop, using a quality paint, you'll be just fine (my old 02 WRX got hit about a month after I got it (brand spankin' new, under 1k miles on it... I was not amused) - whole side got painted - and it looked just fine when I got rid of it almost 9 years later)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear deck lid is just too bad for the pdr people to fix. I will have to see what sort of a job they do. I don't like paying for it out of my own pocket but if I turn in a insurance claim it brands the car and will cost me thousands of dollars in higher premiums. I will also not be able to trade the car on the gtp and that is worth 3 grand difference on trade plus nobody would want to buy the car if it has a car fax history.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
blown96bird
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing