Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Russia is ground zero for bad drivers.
Me thinks it is because few could drive a car in Russia prior to the fall of the USSR 20 years ago. Driving is a relatively recent addition to their culture.
BTW, I indoctrinated my teenage son to safe driving by bringing him to an autopsy of a motorcyclist..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was just about to ask what country this was in. Those pedestrians were never taught to look both ways before crossing.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Siberia has a lot of problems- lots of fast, newer JDM cars get dumped there because of Japan's auto tax laws. So they wind up in the hands of less-experienced Russian drivers on poor roads in poor weather.

I saw the original 'Navara' video embedded in there- a Nissan Navara truck going sideways and being blasted into powder by an oncoming semi. Many of these dashcam videos are actually referred to as Navara videos as a result.

Many russian insurance companies won't pay unless there is dashcam video of the accident, so russian car crashes are over-represented on youtube these days. Can you imagine if we'd been running dashcams on all insured American cars?

·
Registered
213 Posts
No wreckless Subaru drivers around here. But tons of idiot BMW drivers. I swear they are the most stupid, wreckless and dangerous drivers on the road.

·
Registered
866 Posts
No wreckless Subaru drivers around here. But tons of idiot BMW drivers. I swear they are the most stupid, wreckless and dangerous drivers on the road.
Yes - it is my observation from years of driving on So Cal roads/highways, that reckless/obnoxious drivers SEEM to be BMW owners by a large margin.
This is not scientific, but just my observation.

I had a lengthy discussion about this very topic - these vids from Eastern Europe, not a month ago - due to my frequent time surfing the site liveleak.com.
On that site, almost daily, you can see horrible accidents of all types just like the video that was posted here. The videos OVERWHELMINGLY are from the Eastern European countries, Poland, Ukraine, Russia.
I was speaking to a woman that is from Poland and has spent a lot of time in these places.
Never mind that dash cameras are a LOT more common there, but I was commenting on how crazy people drive, as there seems to be little concern for any laws in these vids.
She pointed out how America comes (general culturally) from an English backround - where culture has a history of being much more orderly and proper, and while we are full of immigrants from many cultures, that theme generally kept in our society - with the help of strong enforcement of laws (sometimes to many feels like a police state, esp when my friends from Canada come here and get searched at every entertainment event/hospital/airport parking lot we go to.) For better or worse, and whatever you think about crime here, we generally have a society that is very law abiding compared to other countries. She said in a lot of these Eastern European countries, driving is strongly without much law enforcement and its kind of a free for all (comparatively anyway). She spoke at length of how peoples concept of following the law is a bit different than cultures like in England or here in America.

I would say this is more the reason for these videos than just saying Russia is ground zero for bad drivers. I was a teen, (new driver) with all my friends, and apart from MOMENTS of horsing around, generally everyone drove with caution and way more respect for driving laws than I see daily in these vids from Russia and other places.

And BTW I am fully in support of showing young teens the REALITY of driving recklessly. And I think teens should have to take an emergency maneuvers type class to know what it feels like to handle a car in emergency situations.

I was about 19 when I witnessed a horrible accident right across the intersection from me, a truck flew through a red light, t-boned a woman in her left hand turn lane waiting to turn across from me, and the truck flipped in the air, driver ejected out window onto pavement, unconscious, and the truck landed on top of a little girl that was waiting with her mother on the corner to cross the street. She would have been smashed if it werent for the light pole and high cement flower bed that the truck got wedged between as it landed, leaving about a foot or so underneath still clear. The girl was knocked to the ground but walked away with minor injuries. The flying truck just missed the mother by inches.
I also watched a dead kid get taken out of a miata after sitting on the lap of the person in passenger seat around the same time. Nothing made me want to drive safer more than those moments.

To this day - people who hang on the very edge of sidewalks waiting to cross streets annoy me. Such a dangerous place to stand in a busy intersection where most accidents happen.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I quit riding my bike on Austin roads because people don't pay attention. Used to ride up Congress regularly, follow Shoal Creek. Not any more. After the third time in a week that someone turned in front of me trying to get into a parking lot, that was it. Trails only now.

And its not just BMW drivers. Its all of them. You just notice the BMW more. Although, I do think that the Audi A6 & A8 drivers could also fall into that category. Then you have the ones that talk on the phone and drive like they are the only ones on the planet. Or the Corvette owners who get on the expressway and drive like they are in a funeral procession.:28:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Around here it's Suburban/Yukon/Navigator crowd. They seem to always drive too fast AND on the phone.

I've seen almost one hundred car accidents just from this crowd blowing red lights.

Oddly or fortunately only a small handful of those accidents were fatalities.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Since Russia is relativity new to driving, that also means their roadways are much like American roadways were 60 years ago. No medians, barriers and all secondary roads with a lot of hazards.
Some of the collisions involve Lada's. These are basically copies of a Fiat 124 with no collision safety. Americans survive because our cars and roads are safer.
Agree, traffic enforcement is much more strict in the US with no corruption.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Most of the time I'd say VW Passats are the most crazy around here. But, just last week, I did see a blond in a red BMW reading a magazine while going 60 and tailgating on the freeway.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Most of the time I'd say VW Passats are the most crazy around here. But, just last week, I did see a blond in a red BMW reading a magazine while going 60 and tailgating on the freeway.
Why the reference to "blond"? Could be offensive to some.
What if the driver had black hair?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Yep, serious. Why are blond jokes still politically correct but racial, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation, political orientation, gender and disabilities jokes are not?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
16 Participants
fatabbot
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing