Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I just bought a 2012 Subaru Outback Limited with 77, xxx from a dealer. My first Subaru. The dealer sold the car "as is" rather than certified. They provided me a list of the work they did on the car. Most of it routine things like new tires, new battery, oil change, etc. They also did a "wrist pin reseal" that took about 3.5 hours.

Can anyone tell me anything about what they did? Is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
That's a new one on me... sounds a lot like "pH balancing the blinker fluid."

The only other thing I can think of is that they actually did have to re-seal one of the wrist-pin access plugs, but I've never heard of anyone needing to do that. Very uncommon place for an oil leak.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
+1 that's odd. There are access plugs for the wrist pins but they don't see any oil feed or pressure, just splatter so they don't really leak.

Maybe it's an artifact of the engine being previously worked on - but you'll never know without someone/something else telling you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Is this something that would typically take 3.5 hours to do? Do they need to raise the engine to change the seals?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Is this something that would typically take 3.5 hours to do? Do they need to raise the engine to change the seals?
Never actually opened one. You usually only remove them to replace the pistons.

There's one on each side of the engine, facing the front. I think the entire timing cover has to come off to get access to them, so it's not trivial but not an engine removal either.

it's just such an odd thing to need done- I have no idea what if anything could be gleaned from the knowledge of a one-time leak there, but I wouldn't take it as a warning of anything.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
The engines NEVER leak there. Piston wrist pin is a access hole to drive out the connecting rod to piston writ pin. NEVER seen the access hold leak. I have seen rear separator cover leak, also the REAR main NEVER EVER LEAKs. leave rear main alone. Valve covers leak, headgaskets leak and the rear seperator leaks, bu almost NEVEr the writst pin access covers...
You got one-upped

also fof those saying a oil pan "gasket" yeah no,. they only use permatex ultra grey, NO GASKET on the oil pan. Shops jack around MANY people who are not in the know.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,796 Posts
You got one-upped......Shops jack around MANY people who are not in the know.
OP said it was the dealer who provided this list of work they did on the car prior to sale. Like others here, I smell a rat, but I think it's more a matter of:

(1) Inflating a list of imaginary services done before the sale, to make it appear as though someone was being thorough, or
(2) Concocting a reason for selling the car "as is" rather than certified, or
(3) Both of the above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts