Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback Sedan H6
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started getting noise while driving around town, mechanic diagnosed it as a bad ujoint on my driveshaft. Not wanting to spend $700 he quoted me, I figured i'd pull one at a scrapyard for $20 and hope for the best. Same year and everything, except mine is a 2004 Outback Sedan with an H6 and the car I pulled from was a 2.5L wagon. From what I could dig up online, the driveshaft I pulled was what I needed however what is on my car is clearly different. I do not know if I simply did poor research or if it is possible the driveshaft on my car was an incorrect replacement from the previous owners. I will attach pictures of the one I bought and the one already on my vehicle. Please let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Started getting noise while driving around town, mechanic diagnosed it as a bad ujoint on my driveshaft. Not wanting to spend $700 he quoted me, I figured i'd pull one at a scrapyard for $20 and hope for the best. Same year and everything, except mine is a 2004 Outback Sedan with an H6 and the car I pulled from was a 2.5L wagon. From what I could dig up online, the driveshaft I pulled was what I needed however what is on my car is clearly different. I do not know if I simply did poor research or if it is possible the driveshaft on my car was an incorrect replacement from the previous owners. I will attach pictures of the one I bought and the one already on my vehicle. Please let me know what you think!
I have a 2001 h6 wagon that i put a salvaged 2.5 wagon driveshaft in and it worked fine. Only difference i could think of is the sedan vs wagon. Ive never seen on with 3 u joints on it. Im pretty sure mine only has 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting because I did pull another one too just because off of a 2002 sedan in the yard with a 2.5L and it only had 2 u joints on it. However I looked under a few other 2003s and they mostly had 3 u joints on them. But when I look around at aftermarket shafts online it looks like they all have 3 u joints on them as well. It is very confusing now.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
I think you will need a 27111AE12B

which is only on a 2003-2004 H6 car. (so outback H6 sedans or ourback H6 wagons,....VDC or Not. same part.)

before going to the pick and pull, I print up a list of what the part is and what cars it came on.

to do that you need to go to a subaru parts site,...and in this case click on the link "what this fits"

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/PROPELLER-SHAFT-ASSEMBLY/49505358/27111AE12B.html

nice looking thing you got there though. maybe put it on craigslist. (kind of heavy/ expensive to be shipping, but maybe ebay).

_____

edit: the 2001-2002 H6 has a different # 27111AE122

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would think I would have done that to start with. Hey, $20 isn't a big deal... i could have swore I read that they were compatible across all trims and engine types for 03 and 04. They sell aftermarket replacements that look closer to the one I bought with the 3 u joints too that are supposed to be compatible with all trims across 03 and 04. Are they just incorrect? Or are those aftermarkets actually compatible?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
You would think I would have done that to start with. Hey, $20 isn't a big deal... i could have swore I read that they were compatible across all trims and engine types for 03 and 04. They sell aftermarket replacements that look closer to the one I bought with the 3 u joints too that are supposed to be compatible with all trims across 03 and 04. Are they just incorrect? Or are those aftermarkets actually compatible?
compatible maybe, quality ...sometimes surprisingly NO. I think used would be safer. (hoping you can find some nice subaru makers marks on them).

here is @traildogck 's thread on the subject:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/439914-don-t-get-aftermarket-shaft.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dorman always seemed reputable but I am a freak for oem. Will look out more for used ones or for parts H6s. I tried to reply to the PM but it said I need atleast 15 posts. But Harrys is actually where I went. Nice yard. Cheap prices. I did see they had 8 as well but it didn't occur to me to use the vins to check for if it was an H6. Silly me.

I did pull another off an outback sedan I didn't take. It had only 2 u joints. Looked a lot like the one on mine, if not identical. I just don't recall it being an H6. Do the 03 sedans that are 2.5L have very similar looking driveshafts to the H6? Or do they have 3 u joints like the one I pulled like an idiot? If it may be the one I might have to go fly up there. Totally worth the 45 minute drive.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
Dorman always seemed reputable but I am a freak for oem. Will look out more for used ones or for parts H6s. I tried to reply to the PM but it said I need atleast 15 posts. But Harrys is actually where I went. Nice yard. Cheap prices. I did see they had 8 as well but it didn't occur to me to use the vins to check for if it was an H6. Silly me.

I did pull another off an outback sedan I didn't take. It had only 2 u joints. Looked a lot like the one on mine, if not identical. I just don't recall it being an H6. Do the 03 sedans that are 2.5L have very similar looking driveshafts to the H6? Or do they have 3 u joints like the one I pulled like an idiot? If it may be the one I might have to go fly up there. Totally worth the 45 minute drive.
if its not a 2003-2004 h6 its not the right one.

H4 sedan should be just like the one you got there.

(if thats a 2003-2004 H4 one its a 27111AE06B,...legacys even have a different # )

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,936 Posts
As I understand it 4cyl wagon driveshafts look different but work fine, according to a few threads here or elsewhere.

Have never tried it myself.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
It will fit, you do not need a 2003 shaft. You can even make the 4EAT 2005-2009 shafts fit.

It needs to be an 4EAT Outback Shaft though. The Legacy have a different center support bracket to accommodate the lower drive train geometry.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,302 Posts
was the car this was pulled from a 2004 legacy 2.5 wagon or a legacy outback 2.5 wagon?

did it have a manual trans?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it from a scrapyard. Vin comes back as green 2004 subaru outback 2.5 wagon, automatic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It will fit, you do not need a 2003 shaft. You can even make the 4EAT 2005-2009 shafts fit.

It needs to be an 4EAT Outback Shaft though. The Legacy have a different center support bracket to accommodate the lower drive train geometry.
The one I have pictured with the 3 u joints will work for replacing my current driveshaft? Is that what you are saying? It is from a 2004 4eat though, did make sure I was only pulling from automatics thankfully.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
The one I have pictured with the 3 u joints will work for replacing my current driveshaft? Is that what you are saying? It is from a 2004 4eat though, did make sure I was only pulling from automatics thankfully.
Should work fine.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
I have personally installed the following in my '02 H6 Outback

01 H6 Driveshaft
02 H6 Driveshaft
04 H6 Driveshaft
'08 H4 4EAT Driveshaft (1/2" longer and different shaped bracket.)

All of these fit, the '08 with a bit of work. I plan to make some sort of post about how to install the '08.

I am highly confident that any '00-'04 Auto (4EAT) H6 or H4 Outback driveshaft will fit...Others have posted that they have done that and the aftermarket sells the same part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds promising. Were any extra accommodations needed for the other ones you triee beside the 08? And Isn't the 02 a bit different from the 03 and 04 though? And exactly what is the purpose of having the extra u joint in the middle on the driveshaft I have versus the assembly in the middle of the one I currently have? Should I be worried about it fitting okay and working okay but catastrophically failing out of the blue? Probably unlikely but I like to be sure.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,428 Posts
Sounds promising. Were any extra accommodations needed for the other ones you triee beside the 08? And Isn't the 02 a bit different from the 03 and 04 though? And exactly what is the purpose of having the extra u joint in the middle on the driveshaft I have versus the assembly in the middle of the one I currently have? Should I be worried about it fitting okay and working okay but catastrophically failing out of the blue? Probably unlikely but I like to be sure.
Absolutely no differences in fitment in all 00-04.

The triple ujoint design is from the 90's and was phased out around 2001 in favor of 2 ujoints and a slip joint. The shafts are identical in length and positioning as far as anyone can tell.

I have been in driveshaft **** for the last 6 months trying to find one without issues and I have studied them to death.

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
531 Posts
I'm using a Legacy wagon drivehsaft on my Outback since august 2016
works well even if the angle in the shaft is bigger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For anyone who cares to know, I did make another trip to a scrapyard. Got the last H6 3.0 driveshaft. I am aware now that it doesn't matter if it isn't an H6 driveshaft but this one I pulled is in better shape. Went off without a hitch. Old shaft from my car was almost totally seized in the front. Going to see if I could get it remanufactured cheap. Squeeked terribly. Best $50 I spent. Got to replace my foglight bezel too which is a plus. Had only one and it was killing me. Thanks for everyone who helped on the forum. I learned a lot about Subaru driveshafts!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts