Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently in the middle of replacing my very first timing belt and just got the new water pump installed. I then tried to install the new sprocketed guide pulley next to the water pump and realized that I couldn’t torque the bolt to specs. I removed the bolt and pulley and discovered that the new pulley that was included in the kit doesn’t have a shaft that protrudes on one side like the old one did. So now I can’t install the pulley.

I have a 2011 Outback 2.5L H4SO and got the AISIN timing belt kit TKF-006 from NAPA. Napa’s website said this kit would fit my car and so did Amazon. Did I just get the wrong pulley in my kit or was I supposed to get one of the other kits? The website says this is the onlyAISIN kit that fits my Outback so im confused.

The red pulley has “NSK 6005DWA1” “Japan” and “596” on one side and “646” on the other.
The new black one has “NSK 6005DWA” and “077” on one side and 078 on the other side

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
3,975 Posts
Those pulleys should be interchangeable, so I am not sure why you are having a problem or exactly what the problem is.

The newer pulley typically has two bearings rather than one offset bearing which takes the load better.

Seagrass

Reactions: aesthetic.rake

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,098 Posts
If you put "pressed bearing" into the search box above, you'll find many anecdotes wherein the depth that the bearing was pressed into a sprocket or pulley was out-of-spec (it's not always the TB components).

I think most professional mechanics just have a press in their shop where they can make it right, so they live with the problem, and the manufacturer gets away with it. Problem is, most DIYers don't have a press.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,675 Posts
Those pulleys should be interchangeable, so I am not sure why you are having a problem or exactly what the problem is.

The newer pulley typically has two bearings rather than one offset bearing which takes the load better.

Seagrass
This ^^ I think that's a double row bearing too.

The last AISIN kit I put in a WRX had an upgraded double row bearing in place of the factory single row bearing--a very nice upgrade!

It's nice to see AISIN stepping up and upgrading what are (imo) factory shortcomings.

Reactions: Flood1913

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i (sold 257,000km)/2018 Crosstrek limited 2022 Forester Limited
5,187 Posts
To alleviate any confusion I went with all OEM parts on our timing belt change. That way I am sure everything is right on. I replaced everything except the water pump...idlers,tensioner, both belts, the works. I figure if it was good enough the first time around....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This ^^ I think that's a double row bearing too.

The last AISIN kit I put in a WRX had an upgraded double row bearing in place of the factory single row bearing--a very nice upgrade!

It's nice to see AISIN stepping up and upgrading what are (imo) factory shortcomings.
Well when I put the new pulley on and tried to tighten the bolt to the correct torque the bolt pressed against the bearing hard enough that I couldn’t spin the pulley at all with my hand which I figured wasn’t right. But now that I think about it, I do t actually know if you should be able to rotate it or not.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,675 Posts
Well when I put the new pulley on and tried to tighten the bolt to the correct torque the bolt pressed against the bearing hard enough that I couldn’t spin the pulley at all with my hand which I figured wasn’t right. But now that I think about it, I do t actually know if you should be able to rotate it or not.
It definitely needs to spin. It won't spin like a roller skate bearing but it should move freely.

I reviewed your pics. Looks like there's a front and back to that bearing. Install it the way you did and you get your result--can't spin. Flip the bearing around and what happens?

The center bushing inside the bearing is offset one side to the other--judging by your pics. On one side, it's inset to the bearing. On the other, it protrudes out of the bearing. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Seagrass
The issue I’m running into is that when I try to tighten the bolt to the required specs (28.8 ftlbs I think) the bolt winds up pushing the pulley into the

Seagrass
The issue I’m running into is that when I try to tighten the bolt on the new pulley to 28.8ft-lbs. the bolt winds up wedging the pulley against the block so hard that it won’t rotate at all and that’s before I get to the required torque. I will say that I don’t know if that’s how tight the old pulley was on there or if that’s how tight it’s supposed to be. But I did put the old pulley back on and when I torqued it to correct specs i was able to rotate it with my hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It definitely needs to spin. It won't spin like a roller skate bearing but it should move freely.

I reviewed your pics. Looks like there's a front and back to that bearing. Install it the way you did and you get your result--can't spin. Flip the bearing around and what happens?

The center bushing inside the bearing is offset one side to the other--judging by your pics. On one side, it's inset to the bearing. On the other, it protrudes out of the bearing. Does that make sense?
That does make sense. I’m embarrassed I didn’t think to try that the first time around. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let us know please
So you were absolutely correct. A 180 degree turn and fit like a champ. I also finished the whole timing belt/water pump replacement and did not destroy my engine! It was my first time attempting to do a repair this size on my own and am now drinking a celebratory beer at 10 am on Sunday morning! Thanks for all the advice

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,675 Posts
So you were absolutely correct. A 180 degree turn and fit like a champ. I also finished the whole timing belt/water pump replacement and did not destroy my engine! It was my first time attempting to do a repair this size on my own and am now drinking a celebratory beer at 10 am on Sunday morning! Thanks for all the advice
It's nice to see AISIN stepping up and upgrading the bearings in these idlers. I really don't mind paying more. I just got a AISIN kit for the 05 I'm working on and I haven't looked yet to see but hoping I got some of the upgraded bearings as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.