Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all--

more bast, uh, HYBRIDization is afoot.

anyone got any idea whether the WRX grille fits the 02- OBS? reason being that the grille opening seems best place to mount the Hella driving lights (don't want to kill aerodynamics by mounting on bumper, and the lower opening is too low for driving lights to work correctly), and i'd rather either not cut up mine or have a spare in case i butcher it. of course, this is another part where it appears the WRX guys can't wait to toss good quality factory item and replace with a piece of ABS junk to prove they're sufficiently SPORTING, so the factory grilles seem to be available and look like they're a direct snap-on.

yah, this will cut airflow to rad but planning on trimming front lic plate (i'll lose the cowboy and the oil well along the bottom so i'll have to rely on my boorish manners to remind people i'm from TX...) so it will sorta even out.

i'd appreciate any input, naysayers and verbal abuse included. also open to buying another OBS grille if anyone has one they want to sell.

thanks!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
The grills are a perfect match, but why not put the driving lights in place of the fogs if you don't use the fogs. I know plenty of people with driving lights in place of the stock foggers and it works great. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian--thx for info on my various light Qs!!

i'll check out Kartboy web site.

reason i don't just replace the fogs is that i want it ALL, light way down the road and low and to sides all at once.

still not happy with rigidity of mounting in grille area. if i had AC condenser and rad out, it wd be easy to mount L brackets on back side of bumper bar, but as is, i might not even be able to get the right angle air drill in there even with custom shortened bit. actually figured out last night that i can mount to the plastic lip that makes up the lower edge of the lower radiator opening. they'll be a little lower than i like for driving lights, but i think i can make it rigid enough for light beam focusing and avoid stress cracking plastic if i epoxy a 32-33" section of 1/4"x2" alum bar stock to the underside and drill through it along with the plastic when i mount the lights. using Hella FFs i got on fleabay, new, for $25 for kit; they're small enough that they fit pretty well.

sounds like i better set up any high beam relay wire with a plug so i can disable this feature easily when going to other states. in TX, the main rule is that you can't have any more than 6 lights going on front of car at once. way i figure it is that very few people will see my high beams on since i'm religious abt dimming them (the "ethical" implications of upgraded lighting setup is that you need to be very careful abt not blinding others with it, IMHO...except the a**hole who won't dim his brights and needs a wakeup call!).

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
You know, if you really want to keep the fogs and have driving lights also, there is a bracket/brush bar they make for your car. You mount the lights to the bracket which runs in front of the grill and bumper. Brian

·
Registered
181 Posts
Driving lights..

What kind of FF's do you have?? I have the FF50's, and been trying to mount them in the factory fog location. So far I have been unsuccessful, tho. I have the older body style, and my bumper seems to be missing a piece that the stock fog bracket should bolt right up.

For a few of the night TSD's, I mounted those on the luggage rack crossbar. The lighting was almost phenomenal when in the dark forest..:D

tbert

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tbert--

i got the FF75s via fleabay, princely sum of $25 for kit. great size, flat and wide as viewed from front, almost exact dimensions of gaps in stock OBS grille. just need to finish brackets to line em up. i'll post fotos when i'm done.

Kartboy and other outfits are great, but don't overlook what you can do in your garage with a little ingenuity, 1 or 2" aluminum "L" channel, JB Weld or similar epoxy, pop rivetool, and C clamps. gonna TIG weld mine but that's just because i have easy access to a TIG setup. if you do the cutting and clamping, many welding outfits will TIG em for little $ when they have a slow day.

i calculated last night that i have abt $1000 extra in my car...this wd be $3-4000 if i went with the sano pre-engineered solutions from Kartboy etc. will their solution be nicer than yours or mine? probably. will it be so much nicer that i'd prefer it to whatever else i could use the $ for? doubt it, esp whn i have that demanding italian sharing the driveway.....

bw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
CPToversteer
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing