Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 WRX wagon with 43K doesn't see many miles and most of my maintenance is done on the 'time' side of the schedule.

It came from the factory with Iridium plugs.

Recently, it has begun intermittently making a 'chk' sound and I can feel the car jerk very slightly. No CEL. I waited till the tank was nearly empty, put in some SeaFoam and filled it up. No help, No CEL. It may be on its 3rd or 4th tank so, I doubt it's a fuel issue. I did pull the MAF connector to force a CEL so I could get FreezeFrame data with my scanner. Fuel trims were all low single digits (dunno what else I should look for there)

This weekend, I swapped out the plugs. And of course, all four I removed 'look' pretty good. Sigh - well, I have new plugs in even though the old ones probably had another 20-30K or more life in them.

Car still has the miss. It is very random. never seems to do 2 in quick succession, and there could be one, followed by another in 300 yards, or it might be a mile. I have an 11 mile commute on side streets. I have heard it at idle maybe 2 times. I THINK I've heard it decelerating 3-4 times. Of course, at high RPM I can't really hear anything so, not sure if it's happening. But cruising/moderately accelerating around at 1600 to 3 K or so, it could happen 10-20 times on the way home.

I have read of debris on the end of crank angle sensors causing jerking/missing. But those also seem like higher mileage cars. I'm gonna pull, inspect the sensor soon, and re-seat the connector.

so, I figure I may as well ask what you guys what you think. If I were gonna replace something, what would it be (crank angle sensor ?) or even take it to a dealer (what would they be able to do?) I'd really rather not just wait until a CEL comes on or something breaks.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this is a little preliminary but, after cleaning the CA sensor yesterday, I detected no missing driving to work this morning. I'll feel better if there's no missing by Tuesday/Wednesday next week but, there were metallic particles stuck to the sensor.

if it prove out that the car is fixed, I will try to post some pics I took.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very odd, but, while friday's trip to and from work seemed trouble free and I was about to claim the problem solved by cleaning the CA sensor, the issue was back today.

If I were going to replace the CA sensor, what brand would you guys recommend? Or is there a preference? or a brand I should avoid?

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sigh

Installed beck-arnley CP sensor (only $26 from rockauto, QUICK shipping too!)

pretty sure it missed about 4 times this morning.

I may try the oil filler cap test again and have someone rev the engine, probably should observe it for several minutes anyway, but a quick check found no smoke or vapor from the oil filler tube.

last night I installed the new CPS (rockauto shipped that thing fast!) and refreshed a ground on the other side of the intake mani.

Kinda of thinking about buying a coil and just start at cylinder one and swap it around but - I dunno.

Even though i asked the dealership to do a throttlebody cleaning the last time it was there, I may buy that SeaFoam spray with the curved tube and try that. (long story but, I paid them to change a bad rear wheel bearing, since it was in and they loaned me a car, I had the PCV valve replaced and asked for thottlebody cleaning. they said they did something called 'induction service' or something like that, I don't recall exactly)

It occurs to me also that, I have a vacuum gauge - so this weekend I will try to monitor vacuum with it.

i wonder if the dealer has a way to test coils and injectors?

I've only used my tactrix cable and romraider to clear the aircut valve/airpump codes. I dunno how to log with it but, wonder if it would 'catch' something during a drive? Seems to me it may not if the ECU isn't setting a CEL but ????

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did your WRX ever receive the newest ECM flash at the dealer?
http://techinfo.subaru.com/assets/reprogramming_pack_listing.pdf
Weeeellll now! that is interesting. To my knowledge, it has never received an ECU reflash from the dealer. Are those usually TSBs or recalls or ???

problem now is, while I do have a misfire and 22611AL352 seems to be for some warm-up misfire issue, I don't have the associated P0030 DTC.

Plus, if they reflash, they are gonna be disappointed to find I have killed 15 codes already associated with the aircut valves/airpump failure. I suppose worse=case, they whine about it, give it back to me anyway, I read the rom and kill the codes again.

Wonder why it has taken so long for this issue to come up, and why i don't have the P0030 code set?

still, that is very good info. thanx!

BTW - would a tuner or independent shop have access to those files?

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Usually TSB's, sometimes Recalls, some have Service Campaign's associated with them.

They won't notice what you have done to it.
Once they flash it to the new .pak its going to go back to stock anyway.
You will have to re-do what you have already done.

It is possible an independent shop could have the files.
They would have to do a bit of work to find out what revision is loaded on an ECU.
Find out from the dealer if the vehicle had been flashed or not (service history), then read and save each ROM.
Then label them for later under which revision they are.
I really doubt a shop would have any interest in that though.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there any kind of borescope put into the plug hole that can image the valves? Even if the lash is adjusted now, a valve could be bad I guess.

I have an email to a tuner/repair guy a few cities away - maybe he can monitor the car on the dyno or otherwise help me.

I hate to spend hundreds, but don't want to spend thousands if a valve is too tight and I wait too long.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, if the car passed a compression test, would you still check valve lash?

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Getting a look at the condition of valves would be a good idea.

One other thing to check... maybe.
Does the engine run differently cold vs. hot?
Just looking at it idling is there any rocking/slight hesitation, not perfectly smooth?

A walked valve guide is what i am also thinking.
Not all that uncommon.
Although it dosn't match your symptoms 100%, its possible.

A hot engine will mask it more than a cold.

There is also a specification for the camshaft to sensor air gap.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I am going out on a limb here, and suggest that you replace your plugs. They are 7 years old. They could have some breakdown in the insulators.
That, or you could have a coil pack starting to fail.

Intermittent missing is seldom valve condition/lash. If it were lash, it would miss continuously when it was in the temp range that caused the miss. If a valve was damaged, you would have low power all the time.

Plugs or coil it where I am betting your problem is. Or you can wait until it is bad enough to set a code. Good luck.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
plugs are new - that was the first thing I did.

If I had a code, I could swap the coils...hey? does my wife's 03 H6 use the same coils?

I have people on 3-4 Forums, one feels I need to clean the MAF and maybe change the fuel filter.

some feel this could be mechanical like valve lash

others lean towards eletrical

at some point, I have to decide if I am risking big damage by not having the car inspected by a 'real' mechanic. If I pull covers to measure lash, which is really close to outside my comfort zone BTW, are there gonna be odd seals and o-rings because of the variable valve stuff to deal with? will I need to lift or shift the engine to get the covers out? is there Fuji bond involved along with gaskets? I've never used any of the sealants folks discuss here.

I'm hoping the shop I have a message into could at least diagnose the car while I wait - I have no problem taking off work on a Tuesday w'ever, but, if the car has to stay, I will have to rent a car to get back home. It's 50 minutes away, not complaining but, I think it would still be a better option for me than the dealer. they even have a dyno if they need to run it till it misfires.

Or, I suppose I could just take it to the dealer and say, please just do a compression test, if anything is off by - what? - 5% ? please check the valve lash and adjust if necessary? If not, call me and I'll pick it up.

Then, I could - what? - buy a coil and start swapping it thru each position?

do I sound frustrated? LOL!

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you put your car on a dyno, make sure that it is a 4WD dyno, not a 2WD dyno which will damage your transmission.

yeah, it's keith at awdtuning.com

I wish I could rent one of these!

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, cleaned the MAF yesterday, still missing on a test drive this morning.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
last night , for the first time, I tried the logger part of RR. Evidently, I can't determine which USB port on my lenovo laptop is mapped to com3. Windows 7 control panel not as helpful as versions in the 'old days'.

interesting thing is, for about a day and ahlf, I haven't felt it miss. If it did it, it was too subtle. But, it has done this before. I doubt I would feel convinced the problem was fixed unless it was free of symptoms for a week or more. I suppose cleaning the MAF 'could' have been helpful and it took a coupla drive cycles to re-learn? still, too soon to be feel convinced.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
still fails

Trying to get over the learning curve with RomRaider. I have it reading realtime, but my first attempt at logging , the file got 'lost'/unrecorded.

the weird thing, I selected misfire count for all 4 cylinders. only recorded 2 misfires. different cylinders, at idle, while warming up, before I left the driveway! none while I was driving it around for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
do you have boost fluctuation, tables check out ok?
my old bugeye had what felt like a miss but i turned out to be a cracked turbo inlet. unfortunatly i caught it to late which cost me my turbo. i checked and replaced everything basically attached to the spark plugs

just something to ponder

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I need to do a wot run from about 2k to near redline. at least, that's what I read and have been told. It appears to be the typical log used to try to spot trouble areas.

jus need to find a safe spot for that. I have a coupla places that may work early Sunday morning.

car runs well, gets the same mileage as always. just intermittent miss/buck .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts