Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks.

I know many of you think lowering Outbacks is crazy, but that is what I want to do. I know that most suspension bits are interchangeable across models if you match up the right versions. Lots of late model Forester XTs are running modified STi suspensions, as an example. What years of WRX and/or STi have the bits that will match up with an '07 XT? I suspect that the front hub holes won't match up unless the front STi struts are '04 or modified...

Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
303 Posts
Probably be best off using parts from the Legacy GT.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There was a thread on here recently, about a guy trying to lower his OBW. According to the info in that thread, it is not merely swapping suspension but also swapping drive shafts, etc.

I am not sure if that is even necessary, but I would love to know more as well if someone has any concrete info on the long term functionality of swapping only suspension.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
No. You can swap struts, springs, and bumpstops. It's a good idea to get some adjustable bits for alignment as you'll be a little out of alignment after the swap.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
+ whatever for the Legacy parts. Easiest and best way to get a 1-2 inch drop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I know an issue with old Outbacks like my current '97 was that Legacy struts won't clear the big Outback tires. For whatever reason, WRX and STI struts clear the Outback tires just fine. Will 05-09 Legacy struts clear stock Outback XT tires? If they will, I suppose Legacy GT wagon springs with new KYBs would be the obvious choice.

Doug

No. You can swap struts, springs, and bumpstops. It's a good idea to get some adjustable bits for alignment as you'll be a little out of alignment after the swap.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
They'll clear fine. If you go with legacy gt loweringn springs, you might end up with rubbing. Otherwise, the tire size will be fine with LGT struts and springs. Don't forget the bump stops. You'll be resting on the OB ones with LGT suspension.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Idiot level clarification here, sorry: stock XT limited 17" wheels and tires will clear stock/equivalent LGT wagon struts and springs? That seems like the best way to go then. On old Outbacks like my current '97, the stock tires won't clear regular Legacy struts...

Thanks again, Doug

They'll clear fine. If you go with legacy gt loweringn springs, you might end up with rubbing. Otherwise, the tire size will be fine with LGT struts and springs. Don't forget the bump stops. You'll be resting on the OB ones with LGT suspension.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this generally isn't a great idea, but does anyone make lowering springs ~(1.5") that work on stock OB struts? I haven't been able to finds them if they do... Doug

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Legacy springs will fit the OB struts, ergo Legacy lowering springs will also fit the OB struts. For Lowering, you have to stop thinking OB and just look for Legacy stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What years of WRX and/or STi have the bits that will match up with an '07 XT? I suspect that the front hub holes won't match up unless the front STi struts are '04 or modified...

Thanks, Doug
FYI this gen of Legacy/Outback is not quite compatible with the WRX/STI models. It is closest to the 08-13 WRX, in fact the front suspension is just about identical, though ride heights and total travel vary but the parts would swap between and bolt up. The rear suspension is totally different though, the Impreza sorta skipped a generation so the 00-04/05-09 Legacy have a rear suspension unlike anything Impreza based. The coilover shock is still similar between them, some early 08 WRX adopters modifed legacy rear Konis to fit that chassis but that is not a bolt on swap.

STI rear suspension is the same fitment as all 08-13 WRX. The front is different though, the lower shock mount is wider with different bolt spacing. It would need to be modified, some have done so with spacers, or cutting re-welding to fit.

Not from a spring/shock standpoint but useful: front LCA are the same WRX to this gen Legacy, bushings are firmer on the Impreza/WRX (same as Legacy Spec B) and strut mounts/tophats as well STI and WRX will work on the Legacy and are firmer rubber.

Cliffs notes: WRX/STI stuff doesn't swap unless you are doing some custom modification/fabrication due to the rear suspension design being unique to 00-09 Legacy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I made the incorrect assumption that Legacy stuff wouldn't clear stock Outback tires, since that is the case with gen2 OBs like my '97. Apparently LGT wagon take-offs clear the 225/55-17 tires without issue, so presumably aftermarket struts with LGT wagon springs would be the same...

Merry Christmas, Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
BC Racing coilovers for the Legacy GT at their maximum highest setting (and then some), OEM Legacy GT bumpstops, all else OBXT.

Before (all original)

Summer tire/wheel combo are 17x9 +48 6ulr's with 245/45 RE01R's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
^^^Wow, yes..! Great look. I've been mulling this conversion/drop since summer.
Figured I'd ask over the winter. (thankfully its been illustrated here).
Just for clarification; the '08+ WRX/STI suspension is a direct swap, except for the rear...? Whats the best "swap" for everything, LGT/Spec-B, combination, or..... ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
timmafod's car is lowered with Legacy GT coilovers, not the STi struts and springs I asked about. For old Outbacks like my current 97, WRX wagon or STi stuff with spacers in back works great.

My takeaway is that the best way to moderately lower an 05-09 Outback is with Legacy stuts and springs. If you want to go lower than stock Legacy GT, lowering springs can be used for additonal drop.

Doug

^^^Wow, yes..! Great look. I've been mulling this conversion/drop since summer.
Figured I'd ask over the winter. (thankfully its been illustrated here).
Just for clarification; the '08+ WRX/STI suspension is a direct swap, except for the rear...? Whats the best "swap" for everything, LGT/Spec-B, combination, or..... ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see. The link earlier to LGT.com was a pretty thorough install. Much more than struts & springs involved here. Shifter linkage, steering assembly...
Perhaps I'll resign to the versatility of height.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
dvancleve
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing