Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
867 Posts
I guess its just for aesthetics. My original brake pedal cover had a hole in it and kept falling off so that is why I "upgraded" to the WRX pedals.

Compare it to installing a spoiler, splash guards, brush bar etc, neither of which would make the car faster, last longer, or ride better... but people still install them.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
SOA may disagree, esp. about the spoiler. I had a set of pedals that had more metallic surface area than rubber and working the clutch with wet shoes SUCKED. No traction.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
867 Posts
You may be right about spoiler, no wonder the WRX's and STI's need them to go "faster" :D.

I haven't had any problems with lack of traction, in fact I find them to have more traction than the original pedal, since these have little rubber nubs that seem to be doing well.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,140 Posts
The only trouble I would see with nubbed pedals is cleaning them and keeping them looking new. Scuff marks, dirt in the crevices and dulled aluminum. But then, there is a tool for that.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
Stabilization at high speed...at least in the STI department. Subaru says the spoiler on my car is to minimize dust collection on the rear window. Haven't tried it out yet, but it supposedly has a function the engineers felt something should be done. I haven't tried the dust collection theory yet but I have tried the metallic pedals with less than half the surface face being rubber, and I noticed an overall decrease in performance.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
100 Posts
Performance Suby: Thanks for the information - very helpful.

Boxterfan67: Yes, I realize that this is a purely cosmetic "upgrade". Of all of the mods I have ever made to any of my cars, I can't think of a single one that made the car faster, last longer, or ride better! :)

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,140 Posts
Need a new mod priority.

Gotta have faster for one. Last longer, easy, take care of it. Ride better, struts and alignment; sway bar upgrade; good radials; working AC.

·
Registered
01 obw 2.5 5 speed
117 Posts
imo, after market pedals do more than make it look ricey... with the right pedal you can adjust them so pedal pad are closer or farther apart from each other depending on big/small feet are...i got big hoof so making it farther apart makes it easier to stab the pedal with my heel to rev match...

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
100 Posts
Performance Suby - thanks again for your help in figuring out the correct part numbers to order. The Gen4 Outbacks use the same brake pedal as Gen2/3, but use a different accelerator pedal. The correct part number for the WRX style accelerator pedal for Gen4's is 36010AG150.

Here is a picture of the WRX pedals installed on a 2013.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
The problem with those (from my experience) is that when you have your shoes/boots wet or covered with ice or snow, they slide off easily even though they have these round rubber nipples. But if you like them that's what counts!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.