Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know if they're a bolt-in, or do i need to drill holes?

tried to search but i'm new to list so pls excuse if i missed something.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Many people have done that switch, perfect fit as far as I know. I would like to do the same, but I don't like the blue stitching in the '02 and '03 WRX seats. The '04's have a much better charcoal stitching, and I'm sure they would bolt up too. Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Yeah, get the 04s or maybe some RS seats. I dont think the blue would look right.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian et al,

thanx for info!

got em for $150, they did bolt right in. and the dark with blue accents in otherwise light grey interior actually makes car look a bit sinister. one person asked if they were aftermkt seats. now i may put the stock OBS seats in the Jeep Cherokee!

bruce weathers

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
$150!!!! That's a great price considering WRX owners like to keep 'em just in case. How many miles were on them? I would like to get some '04 or newer for mine. Brian

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no idea on # of miles. but i think you're wise to look for 04-05 seats for reasons other than just match...foam in seats breaks down over the years, esp if previous owner was uh large. extreme example is old pickup with bench where your sitting location is defined by low spot. i've bought junkyd seats b4 that were more squashed down towards one side than the other, so you ended up sitting with your spine slightly twisted. in town, anannoyance; on long trips, source of major back pain and you'll never figure out the source. mentioning this cuz i think the seats i got have just a hair of that effect. either be able to inspect and sit in seats 1st (pref still in car if possible) or if getting sight unseen, get the newest ones you can.

BTW, i think the reason black & blue seats (hold the S&M jokes...) don't look more out of place aesthetically is that grey-unto-blackness dash and black arm rests on doors tie them in nicely.

i'll prob still cut some supp foam inserts for when i really am getting crazy; these stilldon't grab my skinny butt the way i'd like in lateral G situ.s

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i shd add that one reason i got em this cheap is that i only got the front seats, not matching rear seat cushions. my rear seat is fine, and i don't think WRX rear offers any functional improvement over OBS seat...prolly same item, upholstered differently.

gotta luv them Toys fer Tots types who yank em for "Racing" seats tho.....sorta like i love all the Biffs-n-Muffys who destroyed their BMW 3 series of various years just so i can have their parts for my 2002....

ziggy brakedust
bottom feeder extraordinaire

·
Registered
1996 OBS
61 Posts
The '02 WRX seats are definitely better than the stock seats. I replaced the fronts in my 96 OBS w/ some stock WRX seats. I too got mine for $150. Was a bolt-in deal, save for the seatbelt attachment point. On the '96 seats, there was a threaded stud attached to the seat to hold the seatbelt latch, whereas the '02's have a threaded nut. Solved easy enough w/ a trip to the hardware store for some Grade 8 bolts....

--Josh

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, now for the more complex Q

air bag triggering....i'm assuming it;'s a central G-force sensor that triggers all simultaneously, or does each bag have separate triggering mechanism??

more to the point, any possibilityof hooking up the side air bags in WRX seats to existing triggering system in an 02 OBS alreadyequipped with frontal air bags? i realize we're in "somewhere over the rainbow" territory here...

and why did Sub in their wisdom think WRX owners are the only ones who might get hit from the side anyway?

any info, thoughts, catcalls, jeers appreciated. :) :-o

bw

1 - 10 of 10 Posts