Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 outback and the motor is knocking and I was looking to put something else in. A 350 small block is definitely not gonna fit (i tried to convince myself it would but the evidence for failure was just too much) what would be the best/easiest swap. I'm looking for more power than stock but something I could do with home tools (aka. I don't want to have to make new motor mounts) is there anything that would line up with the motor mounts, the wiring wouldn't be too much of a pain, and would actually work?
Any suggestions are helpful.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,342 Posts
JDM EZ30 ?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,278 Posts
An LS will fit.

I swapped an EZ30D into a Baja. It's identical from the C pillar forward. Check out that build and expect more work to put a turbo engine in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An LS will fit.

I swapped an EZ30D into a Baja. It's identical from the C pillar forward. Check out that build and expect more work to put a turbo engine in.
ive been looking around and i see the h6 and the ez30. i noticed that the h6 comes in some outbacks but i didnt see much on the ez30 in outbacks. which would be better if i was trying to find something that would be easy(ish) to put in, but also be an upgrade from the stock ej251

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive been looking around and i see the h6 and the ez30. i noticed that the h6 comes in some outbacks but i didnt see much on the ez30 in outbacks. which would be better if i was trying to find something that would be easy(ish) to put in, but also be an upgrade from the stock ej251
Never mind, I'm just stupid. I didn't realize the h6 was the type of car, and the ez30 was the engine.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,858 Posts
do you have to pass a state inspection by plugging in ? If you do it is probably just easier to swap in another EJ251 and sell the car to someone that wants it. and you buy something faster.

this vs. going blind on wire diagrams and swapping everything from one rusted / busted car parked next to your car, into your car. (as @Brucey did,....while his wife tapping her foot waiting for him to "get her car on the road" )

edit: and I see you are in @Lverano 's part of the world,
and he has a whole fleet of 2001-2004 Ez30 outbacks,...and shops at pick and pulls if you were looking for a ej251 goodie donor. (probably find one with new gasket tabs sticking out of the intake / head gasket areas :) )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts