Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to get a set of Blizzak snow tires for my 2014 Outback 2.5. The wheels on it now are the OEM 17” wheels, but I would be going down a size for the winter tires. On Tirerack I can get 16” Blizzaks in either the WS80 model or the DM-V2 model. However, the DM-V2s would be size 215/70R16, the “recommended” size, while the WS80s would be 225/65R16, an “alternate” size. From what I can tell, the 2 Blizzak models are pretty much the same except the DM-V2 is geared mire toward SUVs or trucks. The WS80s would be $95 each while the DM-V2s would be $140 each. Anyone have experience with these tires and sizes? I am leaning toward the WS80s because of cost but I want something that fits properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would go with WS80 as if I remember correctly the DM-V2 has lower speed rating. Also, TireRack currently has WS80 on sale as they are replacing the stock with WS90 which still should be cheaper than DM-V2, however not a lot reviews on WS90 yet. Personally, I would consider only the tires meeting or exceeding load and speed ratings specified by vehicle manufacturer. Note that higher speed rating does not only mean the tire higher allowed speed, but also means the tire will hold integrity better if abused (driven underinflated for example). Did you look up General Altimax Arctic?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any Nokian Hakkapeliitta! If you can run studs in your area they'll make you the king of the road. The most important thing is being able to get out of the way of the cars sliding towards you.

I've run Blizzaks in the past, they were fairly good the first Winter and only mediocre the second Winter. I've run studded Hakka's on five vehicles (from Subaru SVX's to a Ford Expedition) and they've lasted 4-5 Winters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not looked at the General Altimax Arctic but will do some research on them. This will be my first set of winter tires and we don’t get a huge amount of snow in my area, so I was searching for something non-studded from the start. Do you know if studded tires are allowed in New Jersey? Thanks for the quick replies!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMO studded tires are overkill for city and only make sense if you drive a lot on solid ice. I'm in Chicago and have Michelin X-ice3 which is reviewed to be best for winters with partial snow and handle great cold dry roads (noise and handling wise).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am actually now thinking of getting the Continental WinterContact SI tires in size 215/70R16. I checked my owners manual and they list the 215/70R16 tire size but NOT the 225/65R16 size. I found a used set of 16X6.5” Subaru wheels and will just have new tires put on those. The Blizzaks sound like they would do well in snow but I want something that will last many winters. Anyone have experience with the Continental snow tires on an Outback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a set of 215/70R16 Continental Wintercontact SI tires. Will keep you posted on how they work. Man, they are selling out QUICK from all the online stores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts