Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am in need of rust free patch pieces from a 2000-2004 Legacy or Outback (wagon or sedan) ASAP.

Looking for the entire passenger side rear "dog leg" (the portion between the rear side door & wheel well), also the corner of the driver side quarter panel where it meets the rear bumper. I would need both the inner & outer metal for these areas,
(A sawzall/reciprocating saw would probably be best used to cut these out).

Shipping would be required to Canada & I can pay for everything via Paypal. Please reply to this thread or feel free to PM me. Your help is much appreciated!!

See pictures attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured out how to attach pics from my PC. See above ^^

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,666 Posts
So far as I can tell, they are not available via the aftermarket - I have 2 '01's that need this area repaired as well ( though they are no where near as bad as yours!) and will have to go the "form sheet and weld" route.

However, it is possible that you could find some in a crashed car in a junk yard.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately everything that ends up in the scrap yards around here, are a lot worse than what I have. The Legacy I have is from Idaho originally, but unfortunately the salt has started decaying it in those areas. The car is totally mint otherwise, which is why I want to repair it & have the rear end repainted.

I don't really want to try fabricating the patches myself, as I want it to look as OEM as possible, minimize filler usage + save time.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
from your pics I would fix what you got for now.

I have worse rust, and finally got cut panels out of a pic and pull. ...have not started the work, ...(sometime soon though).

but what you got there still looks really nice.... I mean like mine did 8 years ago.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from your pics I would fix what you got for now.

I have worse rust, and finally got cut panels out of a pic and pull. ...have not started the work, ...(sometime soon though).

but what you got there still looks really nice.... I mean like mine did 8 years ago.
Both areas are rotted completely through as I ground them down with a grinder afterwards. I just need patch sections, so I can know how much of the body I have to work with, in regards to cutting.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i've got some sections already cut out but i think they're separate, rear quarter and lower corner, i don't think i have any together. i'll check.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've got some sections already cut out but i think they're separate, rear quarter and lower corner, i don't think i have any together. i'll check.
Just as long as it covers those areas I need in the pics, I'll be happy. Maybe attach some pics here or PM. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,666 Posts
Maybe check with some Sub repair shops from the southwest - cars that lived down there should be rust free.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe check with some Sub repair shops from the southwest - cars that lived down there should be rust free.
I tried SSP Subaru Recycling in California & another person over from the NASIOC forum but after initial replies from both, neither provided a number for the those parts etc. That was almost 2 weeks ago...

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
To get those parts off of an existing car, you will need to find someone willing to spend the time to cut them off. Not too many yards are willing to do that nowadays - takes too much time for the $$ they can get for the pieces.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump!

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Found this link to sub quarter panels: SIDE PANEL. OUTER.. For Subaru Outback | Subaru Parts Online

Same parts you would purchase directly from you local dealer. No clue about shipping costs.

If the price is not way out of your budget, buy the panel you need and either replace it whole, or section it and replace only what you need.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
Found this link to sub quarter panels: SIDE PANEL. OUTER.. For Subaru Outback | Subaru Parts Online

Same parts you would purchase directly from you local dealer. No clue about shipping costs.

If the price is not way out of your budget, buy the panel you need and either replace it whole, or section it and replace only what you need.
51490AG13A9P left

51490AG12A9P right

that $685 each price tag is a little hard to swallow.
:16:
PLUS
:16:

and that is for just the outer quarter panel,...which I would cut the in half so as to graft on the bottom to where they rust,

so as to not remove the rear quarter windows. (I actually went into a pro-body shop and the dip at the counter wrote me up a whole stupid $2600 estimate,...for that window remove and install work with all new panels.....it took him 30 minutes just to add it up ...wasting our time).

when I have cut these the goal is to cut a little more off the inner fender panel, and door sill also, as these areas rust too,...and it gives you more usable metal then would be available just from the single exterior panel from the dealer.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yea it's quite a bit more than I'd like to spend + a lot would be going to waste if I don't use most of the panels. Still hoping for someone to be able to cut & send me just the smaller pieces I need & of course I will pay for their time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.