Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an ecu for my 98 OBW. My part number is 22611 AD60A. If i understand correctly it had to be an identical part. PM me know if you have one you think will work or if you know that a different part # will work.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
auto or manual?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
in earlier years, auto vs manual does not matter. the difference between the trans is in the the wiring harness, not the ECU. so the one in the p-a-p should work. again, this is true for earlier years.

also earlier ECUs will not work, not correctly. the 98 has a few changes that cause ''ghost'' CELs if you use an earlier ECU. i tried. the car will run just fine on a 97 outback ECU, but you will have one or more trouble codes.

but the 98 manual trans ecu will work in a 98 auto trans car or vice versa.

i don't know about the 99. i have not owned one of those.

however, i need to mention that ECU failure is very, very, rare. so i would replace it as a last resort unless you are very sure.
of course one from the p-a-p may be so cheap it does not matter.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
auto or manual?
doesn't matter.

probably want to make sure you have the same emissions set up - there are two styles and around this year i think it can be either one with the charcoal canister in the front of the car and then one with the bits in the rear of the car.

actually any 1996-1998 (and 99 Leg, Outback) EJ22, EJ25 ECU's are interchangeable just fine, you'll just get a check engine light if something is off but they are all nearly identical with only very minor changes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can check the pnp to see if it still there. Let me know if you want it and what would be a fair price to charge. I have no idea what the pnp wants for one. I don't frequent the pnp's as much as I would like to. The earliest I could get there is this Saturday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
98 manual trans ecu will work in a 98 auto trans car or vice versa.

, i need to mention that ECU failure is very, very, rare. so i would replace it as a last resort unless you are very sure.
of course one from the p-a-p may be so cheap it does not matter.
Good to know they are interchangable.

I know the ECU is fried. I pulled the ECU cover plate and some of the pins that run on the bottom row of controller chips are completely corroded away.

The car was stuck in about 30" of water and muck this summer. Had a few inches of water in the whole bottom of the car.

Price wise, I think $40 would be a good deal. Don't know much about P-A-P as I don't have any around here so I don't know how they usually price stuff.

They are selling for $100 on ebay, so I figure at most $50. Someone let me know if I am way off on this. :confused:

Edit:

This is an identical ECU to mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Antibox
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing