Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The patient is a '97 OBW, auto, non-Limited. Got this car from my mother, who is the sort to wait for the oil light to come on before getting the oil changed... now I know where axle grease comes from: her oil pan! Oy.

Anyway, the hood latch mechanism worked great, but the safety latch was not so great. The grease was old, dirty, and gummy, and the day was cold. I'd checked the fluids that morning prior to a 4hr trip to our daughter's for Christmas, and 5 miles from home, a sudden flash of white- we had the hood in our faces!

Eased it to the side of the road (peering through the gap between the hood and the cowl), punched out the dents from the underside, and managed to slam the hood into place. Cruised slowly home, degreased/cleaned/relubed the latches, and we were on our way, albeit a little more wrinkly than before.

While I was able to massage out the worst of it, it still looks pretty rough. This is my wife's car, and for her job, it needs to look nice. Anyone got a Gen 1 hood from their parts vehicle? I'm having NO luck finding one anywhere remotely near south MO, even with the nationwide parts locators.

Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks! Never been to that site, don't know why it didn't come up on my parts search. Found four of them within 200 miles, and none have any more than a single dent; one has a series of dings along the left edge. Whoop de do! Dings and small dents I can handle.

Thanks again!

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
n9viw
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing