·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PM me, would like to UPgrade my H4 alt.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
You don't need the pigtail as the connectors are the same. Most likely won't work tho as the H6 have ECU-regulated alternators, H4's do not. Doubt it'll charge unless you can figure out a way to emulate the ECU's built-in regulator. For some interesting reading, check out Pookie2's thread in the 2nd gen forums titled "don't tell me these things don't have a(sic) feelings". H6 alt theory explained in waaay more detail than you ever wanted to know.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/47323-dont-tell-me-these-things-dont-have-feelings.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've heard that...but alternators do all the same thing, and "parts is parts" as a good friend used to say. I think I could gut/modify it to make it work like an ordinary alternator...might require some sort of external electronic regulator (hence the pigtail so I could do some splice-magic), which are easy to come by, but nonetheless should work. They're not that complicated....there's gotta be a rectifier in there somewhere, at the least.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression they were ALL 70-amp units. 90 is not so bad, although I'm probably on the ragged edge of sufficient with my sub, CB, and running multiple sets of lights, although the HID's probably drop current requirements somewhat from the regular halogens.

Those prices aren't too bad for higher-amp alternators, although I feel they are TOO high amp for me, don't need anything that radical. Definitely a bookmark-worthy site, though.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
I hope someone can confirm the amperages I found. It may vary a lot with year models too. The Nissan maxima alternator some were putting in their older soobs is 90 amp. But I'm not sure which maxima years it is - and maybe the pulley has to be swapped.

anybody?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockauto lists (2) for my 1999, a 70-amp and a 85-amp. When I replaced mine about 6 mos. ago, I just purchased one from eBay. I wonder which one I got? As for the Maxima alternators, I also looked on Rockauto and it appears the 1999-2000 ones are similar except that one mounting ear is placed at about 10:30 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. Wonder if it would mount up OK.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
Rockauto lists (2) for my 1999, a 70-amp and a 85-amp. When I replaced mine about 6 mos. ago, I just purchased one from eBay. I wonder which one I got? As for the Maxima alternators, I also looked on Rockauto and it appears the 1999-2000 ones are similar except that one mounting ear is placed at about 10:30 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. Wonder if it would mount up OK.

I think I first ran across that Nissan info years ago at ultimatesubaru.org so, you might search over there - or ask , those guys have a lot of history with mods to Soobs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, but what I've found is mostly for the old EA-type swaps, nothing for the "newer" EJ motors. I'll keep searching and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
16,966 Posts
so many threads over there - GM alts, maxima alts, H6 alts

just start a thread , explain what you want, ask if any of the known upgrades will work on your car. I ran across one post that said the H5 pulley may be wrong - anyway, USMB might be a good resource. GeneralDisorder is the user that started the maxima swaps - ask him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
3 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing