Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB: Third Gen Outback XT with Manual Transmission

6K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  shandalo 
#1 ·
After a ton of research I believe the next vehicle I am searching for is a third gen Outback XT, second gen FXT, or similar build. A manual transmission is mandatory. Working AC is mandatory. 07+ models preferred but will consider earlier years. Color isn't too important to me, but I do prefer not red.

I live in south Texas but have no problem doing a relatively long distance drive to meet or a "fly and buy" for the right vehicle.

It appears this forum is pretty active and I look forward to reading and learning plenty here.

...and if by chance someone here is looking to trade down to a sporty FWD import, it would be incredibly convenient to trade my 2004, Arctic Blue Pearl, 6MT, Acura TSX + cash for your Outback. The chassis is high mileage but the drivetrain most definitely is not. I would not hesitate to jump in it and drive across the country at a moments notice. It has been reliable and fun. I just need something bigger, but still fun and reliable. Full details can be found here:

#6 ·
Your year XT will not have the Banjo bolts, I belive they did away with them after 05. I had a LGT wagon, loved it until; the motor **** the bed. Have it check out by a Subie speacilist Mech. before you start driving it and modding. if running corectly it is a fun car to have! Join the LGT forum, alot of info there. Good luck!!

#18 ·
Your year XT will not have the Banjo bolts, I belive they did away with them after 05. I had a LGT wagon, loved it until; the motor **** the bed. Have it check out by a Subie speacilist Mech. before you start driving it and modding. if running corectly it is a fun car to have! Join the LGT forum, alot of info there. Good luck!!
Just pulled the engine out of my ‘09 OBXT. Clogged screens in the banjo bolts. I’d thought they would not be in a car this late too.

#8 ·
RU looking for something like this?

A few other options, for your consideration, in my area.

#9 ·
Thanks for looking out. I've been watching craigslist nationwide vie Autotempest but it appears I don't see everything. I saw the first listing... And laughed. 8k for a riced out car with "some kind of knock" is just silly. I'm not hunting for a project... I own a MR2 for that. This car is supposed to be fun, quick, spacious, reliable (when well maintained), and 100% fit for dad duties, long hauls and some light towing. My preferred lender also wants the vehicle to have under 125k miles so that cuts my options down considerably.
So far the one currently being rebuilt seems like the safest bet, much decreased likelyhood I'll have the engine out on a stand within the first 20k miles.

#15 ·
@shandalo, glad you found your wagon... How was the mileage coming down the hill to TX?

Regarding lug nuts, if you are a Costco member you can pick up lug nuts there for $0.50 each....
(Unsure if SamsClub has same offering)

Besides the 'normal' acorns, they have extended lug nuts. Something I've been rocking on multiple Subarus...
You have to go in knowing the size and thread pitch beforehand.... Which makes it easier on you when asking for them...
(Some of the tire guys aren't all that knowledgeable about car stuff... :cautious:)

#16 · (Edited)
@HeyChris
Thanks, it's all been quite an adventure.
Mileage was pretty terrible, but I was chasing air leaks the entire time and didn't get it all resolved until after I got home. The small bit of vac hose that houses the restrictor pill was torn, and I cut the torn part off before realizing the pill was in there. Had I known, I'd have chosen the electrical tape route instead. Hose was too short to connect both ends with the pill in, so it stayed in my center console for most of the ride home. Couple all that with the fact I spent a significant amount of time over 90... I averaged 21mpg for the entirety of the trip.

I have lug nuts galore right now.... Including a few sets of extended lugs I can't use on anything.... Maybe they fit the OEM Subaru wheels.... But they do not fit inside any of the Honda, Toyota or aftermarket wheels I have. That was an annoying discovery.
I need to cut the OEM lugs down to flush with the 15mm spacers/converters I am installing, so I can fit my K8R's (5x114.3) on this thing.

Good looking Forester sir!

#20 ·
Yup, it appears banjo bolt screens were still a thing in 09 after all. The seller of my car removed all the screens for me.

@HeyChris Yes they were previously on the TSX. Thanks for the suggestion regarding wheel load... It was something I was completely oblivious to before 10 minutes ago. Makes perfect sense that a thinner, lighter wheel isn't as strong... I'd just somehow never thought there would be a load rating stamped somewhere. Sounds like you learned the hard way... Must've been a wild ride.
So I just went and checked them, as well as the cars GAWR-R. Car GAWR-R is 1060kg, so 530kg minimum required per side. Interestingly enough the K8Rs have two load ratings stamped on the back... Even thou they are only one bolt pattern. I really don't understand why there are two load ratings... But one says 540kg and the other 690kg. Either way, I am in spec, although just barely if we assume the lighter rating is correct. Unless I can prove otherwise, I may refrain from using these wheels if I have to tow anything significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.