Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just picked up a '05 Outback xt for cheap money, might need a turbo, any ideas on buying a cheap turbocharger, Pref new? Anyone purchased a good ebay turbo? I see a bunch for under $200. I bought a used turbo on here a few years ago for like $150, had good luck with it. Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm located in VT. Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
mr. turbo @traildogck has been running some quality chinese knockoff thing on his silver XT racer Francine.

but beware on this new to you car: such work is not just a turbo. one has to see what happened to the engine from the turbo failure. and carefully repair / retune the car,...

just tossing a new turbo on quick can lead to more problems.

Reactions: bheinen74

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
Hope you have about 2-3 grand saved up for reworking th engine bottom end, and everything else.
You should have just bought a nice H6 for a little more money and not be nickle and diming yourself everytime you want to drive it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, ohh a Subaru is nothing new to me, I've been servicing Subaru's for 10yrs, I intend to pull the motor & change all the gaskets, seals, fluids...etc. Flipped a couple hundred Subi's, I haven't owned too many Turbo models & the ones I've had didn't have any turbo issues, hence my need to find a good turbo. I didn't know if there was anyone selling/producing new bolt on turbos for cheap money. I bought the car at a auction today on a whim, haven't had time to inspect the issues, just know it was advertised with "Maybe has a Bad Turbo".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ yep you bought a boat anchor.
UPDATE: Well this boat anchor floats, got the car home a few hrs ago, had a chance to look it over, check the oil pressure, everythings good, just had a bad oil pressure switch, changed it, oil light went out, drove the car, went great, not a bad buy for a 2005 Outback xt, illinois rust free, 1 owner with 119k for $700!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.