Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me whats going on here?

98 legacy outback 2.5 found the front O2 sensor dangling & this in its place.

I haven't had the car for more than a week, it runs fine however it doesn't fire up right away, a little over a second of cranking before it catches. Not sure if the engine code light works but no engine light is present. Sometimes the idle gets a little weird like it wants to die then levels off. No strong or rich exhaust smells

btw that piece in the exhaust as you can see has a nipple for a hose to attach but there is no hose anywhere

Any idea whats going on, what should I do? Fyi I just pulled the motor & installed new hg's not sure if that cleared the codes from the computer.

Thx

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
prolonged battery disconnect will clear the codes.

the nipple is not standard. the o2 should be there.

the car probably had an issue with a p042 so the owner removed the front o2 sensor , plugged the hole with what ever he could find and removed the CEL bulb. i would reinstall a new o2 sensor while the engine is out. get a good quality sensor. these cars do not like cheap ones. and the front o2 controls the fuel ratio, so you want it working well.

but you will not know until you reinstall everything and fire it up. intake and exhaust gasket leaks can cause a p0420 so check them.

if you have a problem with the p0420, there is a work around, but try and correct the problem first.

and once powered up, check for the CEL when you first turn the key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply,

Heres an update.

Took that fitting out of the O2 bung & reinstalled the old O2 sensor. I reused the old exhaust manifold gaskets but replaced the flange gasket. Turned the key on, no check engine light (either removed or burned out) Fired up the motor after it learned it leveled off & idled fine. Turned it off & checked for codes, nothing stored. I'll run it a bit before I grab a new O2 sensor. Sounds like a slight exhaust leak (not surprised) I'll check that out as well.

Car seems to run ok but it did die while in park ideling before the test drive. Test drive went well but was short. Tried pulling codes but nothing came up (figures). A couple hours later I drove it to the store & it had a slight stumble once while idling. I'll take it for a longer drive later & run codes again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing