Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I didn't notice it when I bought the car, but it has 17s on it...

The tires are fine, but, looking down the road I priced some replacement tires.

The prices were, in a word, STUNNING. Really.

2 questions...why the huge price jump to 17s from 16s??? Like double or something; the material used is a similar amount.

And...why are so many choices limited to v-rated tires? Who is buying these tires for use on public (policed) roads in this country? Why would you put these on as OEM?

Is it some kind of ego stroking?

Can I not get an S-rated tire in 225/55R17???

Ridiculous.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just checked prices of 225/60-17 tires and 225/55-17 tires on discounttiredirect.com. For the same make and model of tire, you are only saving about $5 to $10 per tire. There are plenty of tire options for $150 or less.

Out of curiosity, did you price the tires online or by calling a tire shop?

Finally, you don't need a V speed rating on an Outback 2.5 unless you figured out how to get your Outback up to 149 mph. Most snow tires have a Q rating (99 mph) and you don't see speed related failures with those.

·
Registered
714 Posts
16" wheels (properly selected) will fit an '08 Outback, so you can go to taller sidewalls if you really want to. But the 225/55s that come on 17" wheels on some models handle better on pavement -- it's not likely that people will use the full speed rating of these, but that better handling is quite helpful, given the car's mushy suspension. HPH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking online...

Yeah, no kidding I'll never need that speed rating. I hope nobody else on the highway does, either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Look into the Hankook Optimo H727. In the 225/55R17 size, it is a T rated tire and comes in at about $125/tire at Tire Rack. It is a decently rated all-season touring tire at a good price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire Rack

Yeah, I just discovered Tire Rack a few hours ago, via this site's mention.

Finally, some price sanity.

I know, I know, the day of top-notch tires for 75 bucks are over...I'm just a little put off by the "bling" factor encouraged by the tire manufacturers to put unnecessary performance on utility vehicles & passenger cars.

It's similar to the trends I see in the motorcycle world with the helmet line-ups of "look at me" graphics, etc. that are supposed to appeal to the "cool" crowd.

Same thing with cars.

Cool is a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T, bone stock except for Centerline wheels and a pointless distributor.

It's not a Ford F-150 that's slammed to the ground, so low all the utility of the vehicle is gone.

It's not a VW Jetta with a turbocharger and V-rated skins on it, with skull stickers on the bumpers.

Maybe I'm old.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I bought 16" wheels and tires for my 05XT for the snow tires because of the significant price savings. Just put them on this weekend. Realized that now I can't do the Legacy caliper upgrade with these smaller wheels, but they fit stock.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I bought 16" wheels and tires for my 05XT for the snow tires because of the significant price savings. Just put them on this weekend. Realized that now I can't do the Legacy caliper upgrade with these smaller wheels, but they fit stock.
Exactly why I stuck with the 17" wheels... got some general altimax snowies for around $120, didn't seem too bad.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
120 bucks

$120 bucks is a lot for a snow tire...considering their life and that one still will want an extra set of wheels to avoid mount/remount issues.

C'mon...480 bucks for 4 tires before anything else??? MAYBE if they went 60,000+...but for SNOW TIRES?

Sorry; I'd feel "taken". I'd like Nokians, too, but they are, quite frankly, a rip-off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Bede5man
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing