Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new X² Power battery into my cruiser today. It is manufactured by Northstar. It's an AGM, group 24 size, part# SLI24AGMDP. It is a perfect fit, putting out 1500 PCA, 840 CCA, and 160 minute reserve. The best part is the 5-year free replacement warranty. Its pricey, but worth it. I thoroughly cleaned the cable terminals before installing them onto the battery posts. My gauge is reading 13.1 volts with the key at ACC. It is also starting a whole lot better.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,796 Posts
Did you charge it or did it come out of the box with 13.1? Normally a reading that high is a surface charge and a fully charged battery is more like 12.7?

edit - I found an article saying AGM can be 13 volts after surface charge is removed.

Using a multimeter to measure the state of charge is not the same as with a conventional flooded battery. After the surface charge is removed, the voltage of an AGM with 100% state of charge might be 13.0-volts. A flooded battery might have only 12.6-volts.

Reactions: PRGMC and Flood1913

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you charge it or did it come out of the box with 13.1? Normally a reading that high is a surface charge and a fully charged battery is more like 12.7?

edit - I found an article saying AGM can be 13 volts after surface charge is removed.

Right out of the box. I had to order it. It wasn't one sitting on a shelf for months. Excellent battery.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
5 or a 4 year warranty? I looked it up and the description says 48 month... the Group 24F has a 60 month though. not sure the description is 100% accurate on their site.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
5 or a 4 year warranty? I looked it up and the description says 48 month... the Group 24F has a 60 month though. not sure the description is 100% accurate on their site.
The Northstar gets a 4 year, however the rebadged X² Power gets a 5 year through the place I bought it from. I bought it from Batteries Plus. Mine came with a 5 year free replacement.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,142 Posts
Price?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,995 Posts
Personally I use Dekka or Napa Legend Gold (same battery) made by East Penn Manufacturing. They have been the last battery I have installed in each car that I have replaced batteries in. I get about 8 years out of them before I sell the car they are in.

Napa Legend Gold in 1994 Honda Acoord installed in 2002 was changed in 2013 when my friend let the car sit for a month unattended with trunk lid not closed. I sold him this car in 2006...
Dekka in 2002 Acura CL type S installed in the car in 2008 was with the car when sold in 2016
Dekka in 2003 Subaru Legacy L special edition installed int he car in 2014, went with car when donated this year

current cars that sit outside
2014 Legacy has Napa Gold in it now, it is about 3 years old and car starts every time even when the temps are -31F outside
2010 has a champion AGM battery installed in June 2018 according to sticker on battery. has started the car every single time even when the temps hit -31F outside first AGM battery I have used in a car so we will see how long it lasts...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Personally I use Dekka or Napa Legend Gold (same battery) made by East Penn Manufacturing. They have been the last battery I have installed in each car that I have replaced batteries in. I get about 8 years out of them before I sell the car they are in.

Napa Legend Gold in 1994 Honda Acoord installed in 2002 was changed in 2013 when my friend let the car sit for a month unattended with trunk lid not closed. I sold him this car in 2006...
Dekka in 2002 Acura CL type S installed in the car in 2008 was with the car when sold in 2016
Dekka in 2003 Subaru Legacy L special edition installed int he car in 2014, went with car when donated this year

current cars that sit outside
2014 Legacy has Napa Gold in it now, it is about 3 years old and car starts every time even when the temps are -31F outside
2010 has a champion AGM battery installed in June 2018 according to sticker on battery. has started the car every single time even when the temps hit -31F outside first AGM battery I have used in a car so we will see how long it lasts...
Those are good brands as well. I'm sure Ling Long, a Chinese tire made in Serbia, might last as long as a Michelin. I just prefer the Michelin. I don't mind paying a little more for piece of mind.

Reactions: PilotXT

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
What are the general requirements for the battery since it has auto start? Just any AGM one that fits?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
2,995 Posts
auto start or not dues not matter, you want a battery that is (besides the same overall size)

A. quality manufacturer
B. meets or exceeds CCA especially in cold areas
C. meets or exceeds reserve time.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,142 Posts
I paid $157 for a Champion AGM battery from Pep Boys in August 2019 using a coupon during one of their periodic battery sales. It came with a 4-year full replacement warranty. I believe that is a better deal.

Reactions: PRGMC

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,120 Posts
I paid $157 for a Champion AGM battery from Pep Boys in August 2019 using a coupon during one of their periodic battery sales. It came with a 4-year full replacement warranty. I believe that is a better deal.
This is why I never post a sales receipt and only vaguely discuss service pricing. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is why I never post a sales receipt and only vaguely discuss service pricing. :)
I don't mind posting receipts, because if I am going to try to answer questions someone asks me, I try to be as forthright and honest as I can. I don't hold things back for any reason. It feels dishonest. I'm trying to help, not get into a dick-sizing contest. These are my adventures, and I am merely sharing the experience.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like a good deal. 🙂

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,142 Posts
No "dick-sizing contest" was intended on my part. I have always found Batteries + Bulbs to be significantly overpriced on everything they sell (in our neck of the woods, anyway). I believe there are better options for battery sources, and I simply pointed that out for anyone who may be in the market for a new battery. If any of you were offended, that was not my intention.

Reactions: Maxboost08

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No "dick-sizing contest" was intended on my part. I have always found Batteries + Bulbs to be significantly overpriced on everything they sell (in our neck of the woods, anyway). I believe there are better options for battery sources, and I simply pointed that out for anyone who may be in the market for a new battery. If any of you were offended, that was not my intention.
I wasnt offended, and I didn't say that because I was implying you were competing with me. I was speaking generally. When I was researching this particular battery, I was looking first at the Northstar. Everywhere I looked, the price was about 10 to 20% higher than the X² and the warranty was only 4 years. Of course, finding out the X² was the same battery, and had a 5 year warranty, it came across as a better deal. The price as Batteries Plus was actually the cheapest online, mainly because they offered the "buy online, pickup in store" discount listed on the receipt. I couldn't get it cheaper anywhere else. I do my my best to save money, not so much on brand choice, but on who has the cheaper price on the brand I settled on. 🙂

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,972 Posts
It's probably a terrific battery. I won't argue that. But the $95 700 CCA / 130 minute Reserve Group 24 Walmart Everstart Maxx fixed venting flooded cell battery that I put into my Outback nearly 3 years ago (and the other 4 that I've purchased for my other vehicles over the last 15 years) have given me dependable starting and long life, no terminal corrosion or other problems.

I just can't justify over 3X the price when there's little perceived value to be had from the investment.

If I owned a vehicle with a "problem", such as a vampire load that kept pulling a battery down into 'deep discharge' territory, I might see the need for an AGM or other alternate construction battery. But as long as I don't have that kind of issue, there's just nothing to be gained. During early COVID when vehicle usage was very limited, I just tossed my NOCO battery maintainer on once every week or two just for good measure.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's probably a terrific battery. I won't argue that. But the $95 700 CCA / 130 minute Reserve Group 24 Walmart Everstart Maxx fixed venting flooded cell battery that I put into my Outback nearly 3 years ago (and the other 4 that I've purchased for my other vehicles over the last 15 years) have given me dependable starting and long life, no terminal corrosion or other problems.

I just can't justify over 3X the price when there's little perceived value to be had from the investment.

If I owned a vehicle with a "problem", such as a vampire load that kept pulling a battery down into 'deep discharge' territory, I might see the need for an AGM or other alternate construction battery. But as long as I don't have that kind of issue, there's just nothing to be gained. During early COVID when vehicle usage was very limited, I just tossed my NOCO battery maintainer on once every week or two just for good measure.
I guess that is something I forget to mention. I am running some add-ons that did necessitate the need for a high amperage, deep cycle battery. Premium audio/video, etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts