Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy some stock take off or maybe steel 16 inch rims and Michelin XI3 tires for my 2013 Outback for winter tires. I really want to get the XI3 tires as I will be doing some non-snow driving in the winter and like the rolling resistance and dry winter handling characteristics of this tire. Unfortunately the xi3 is not available in the recommended 215/70 R16 size. the Xi2 is available in that size but I do not want that tire. I have looked at other avaialable xi3 sizes such as the 225/65 R 16 tire but it is to wide for the 16 x 6.5 inch stock Subaru wheels. Anybody have any ideas as to how I can get the avaialble 16 inch sizes of the xi3 to fit on my 2013 Outback.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I don't, but I will say the Xi2 is a good tire that I use. Also LRR. Running these on my XT 05 with 16" wheels (got a smaller size due to cost).

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am looking to buy some stock take off or maybe steel 16 inch rims and Michelin XI3 tires for my 2013 Outback for winter tires. I really want to get the XI3 tires as I will be doing some non-snow driving in the winter and like the rolling resistance and dry winter handling characteristics of this tire. Unfortunately the xi3 is not available in the recommended 215/70 R16 size. the Xi2 is available in that size but I do not want that tire. I have looked at other avaialable xi3 sizes such as the 225/65 R 16 tire but it is to wide for the 16 x 6.5 inch stock Subaru wheels. Anybody have any ideas as to how I can get the avaialble 16 inch sizes of the xi3 to fit on my 2013 Outback.
Where did you find 225/65/16's? I've heard one other person say that they found these tires, but Michelin's website still doesn't list them as an available size (see the bottom of the page): X-Ice Xi3 | Michelin Tires

I probably would have bought them if I could find them in that size, even tirerack doesn't have them in that size: Tire Search Results

That said, most 225/65/16 tires should fit on a 16"x6.5" rim as most tires that size can are specified to be mounted on 6"-8" width rims (unless the Xi3's spec sheet for that size says something different of course). Rim width is always thinner than the tire's section width (they bulge out in the center of the sidewall).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you find 225/65/16's? I've heard one other person say that they found these tires, but Michelin's website still doesn't list them as an available size (see the bottom of the page): X-Ice Xi3 | Michelin Tires

That said, most 225/65/16 tires should fit on a 16"x6.5" rim as most tires that size can are specified to be mounted on 6"-8" width rims (unless the Xi3's spec sheet for that size says something different of course). Rim width is always thinner than the tire's section width (they bulge out in the center of the sidewall).
Represented to be available at Sears.com for $156.71
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 - 225/65R16 100T BW - Winter Tire - Automotive - Tires - Car Tires

From what I understand the 225mm tire size translates to an on rim width of 8.3 inches; outside the 6-8 inch permitted range for the stock wheels.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Represented to be available at Sears.com for $156.71
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 - 225/65R16 100T BW - Winter Tire - Automotive - Tires - Car Tires

From what I understand the 225mm tire size translates to an on rim width of 8.3 inches; outside the 6-8 inch permitted range for the stock wheels.
Where did you see the rim width specs for those tires? I don't see the specs for rim width on the Sears website. All of the 225/65/16 snow tires on tire rack work with a 6.5" rim width.

Also, the Xi3's don't seem to be available for shipping or store pickup for any stores within at least 50 miles of my area code... select store availability or perhaps? Can you actually buy them from Sears in your area? If you can actually buy them, just give Sears a call and ask them whether the tires will work for your rims. They should be able to tell you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
statueim
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing