Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Subaru owner here (‘18 Outback) and I’m hoping someone can give me a straightforward and practical explanation of why these two buttons do. I read about them in the manual but didn’t feel entirely enlightened. From reading some posts on this forum I think I’ve got a handle on X-Mode, but I’m still not sure about the other one.

Just for reference I spend a decent bit of time driving down steep and winding mountain roads in the Pacific Northwest. Sometimes these roads are paved, sometimes they’re not, but I’m generally looking to keep my speed down to between 10 and 20 mph depending on the road surface and other hazards.

Thanks!

Motor vehicle Grey Bag Font Vehicle door

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
X-mode is a more intelligent form of hill descent control than just downshifting, but X-mode's hill descent control only works at very low speeds 12mph or slower, so if it's above x-mode speed range then yes using paddle downshifts will do you.
Thank you for the video. You mention that it can run up to about 12 MPH, while in the video he showed it keeping the car at about 2 MPH. It's not uncommon for my to be descending a gnarly hill at about 10 MPH, but when I tried out X-Mode last week it seemed to want to keep my speed very low. How would you go about speeding up X-Mode? Just apply a little gas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts