Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
What is X-mode? First I've heard of it.

The Outback is expecting it's next major redesign in 2015, so if it was going to be offered I highly doubt we would see anything until then.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,816 Posts
it's used at low speed off-road use. you activate it under 12mph, it's disabled above 25mph. It seems to be associated with better hill descent too.

I only know what little i read about it. There's a video or 2 that demo it. Frankly, it just seems to be a little more aggressive awd function.

maybe some one knows more.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited Pearl White SAP
63 Posts
Too funny. My '05 Nismo Frontier has VDC, Hill Descent and Low which I can understand. I take that thing places Foresters only dream but to put that kind of functionality in a Forester seems silly. Perhaps needed for snow and sand. :/

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
Too funny. My '05 Nismo Frontier has VDC, Hill Descent and Low which I can understand. I take that thing places Foresters only dream but to put that kind of functionality in a Forester seems silly. Perhaps needed for snow and sand. :/
Do not underestimate the offroadability of a Subaru, my friend.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
You guys are missing the obvious.

Subaru has the XV which is pretty **** sharp looking
Subaru has the roomy comfy Outback which is selling nearly as fast as they can make em

Subaru has the Forester. Uhhh OK give it X drive and people will buy it over the XV and the OB.

It's called marketing folks. Given the Forester has the same running gear and engine as all the other vehicles its simply just some fancy computer code to offer up an added performance feature to an otherwise nothing special offering.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You guys are missing the obvious.

Subaru has the XV which is pretty **** sharp looking
Subaru has the roomy comfy Outback which is selling nearly as fast as they can make em

Subaru has the Forester. Uhhh OK give it X drive and people will buy it over the XV and the OB.

It's called marketing folks. Given the Forester has the same running gear and engine as all the other vehicles its simply just some fancy computer code to offer up an added performance feature to an otherwise nothing special offering.
Add to that the 2.0L Turbo in the Forester. The XV is really cool looking but underpowered.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
Do not underestimate the offroadability of a Subaru, my friend.
Oh yes, it does really well on logging roads and other dirt roads.

I had mine in Moab, it did just as well as a Dodge Durango and a Ford Explorer, famos offroad vehicles those two!
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
(...) its simply just some fancy computer code to offer up an added performance feature to an otherwise nothing special offering.
I would not say such. It improves traction further. ABS and ESP are also "some fancy computer code" - and improofed savety greatly...
Today most is about electronics. The electronics and their "intelligence" is what make the electronic awd in the automatics behave more stable than the mechanical in the manuals.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I hope your Frontier is lifted at the very least, these trucks come with zero clearance for a truck? I had an '08 Frontier SE, Crew Cab 4x4 with VDC & ABLS the latter is Nissan speak for electronic limited slip. I added 31 x 10.5 BFG All Terrains and while it was a capable machine off-road, it wasn't any better per se than my lighter, smaller and more agile Outback. I have taken my Outback to many places I just couldn't fit my old POS Frontier, yes I did say POS because it truly was.

Always in the shop, 4.0L V6 guzzled fuel like a big block V8 lol, horrible turning radius, broke the motor mounts twice towing and using the truck like a truck and well under the factory stated limits. Got rid of it before the known to disintegrate chain tensioner guides could do so.

To put it bluntly my Outback makes a better truck than that Frontier ever was. OT but In the end I am much, much happier with my 2011 Ford F-150 now.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I would not say such. It improves traction further. ABS and ESP are also "some fancy computer code" - and improofed savety greatly...
Today most is about electronics. The electronics and their "intelligence" is what make the electronic awd in the automatics behave more stable than the mechanical in the manuals.
.05% of all Subaru buyers might actually take their car into conditions where this feature actually offers something all the other subarus already offer.

It's marketing to help create a larger perceived gap between models. Thats it nothing else.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
I hope your Frontier is lifted at the very least, these trucks come with zero clearance for a truck? I had an '08 Frontier SE, Crew Cab 4x4 with VDC & ABLS the latter is Nissan speak for electronic limited slip. I added 31 x 10.5 BFG All Terrains and while it was a capable machine off-road, it wasn't any better per se than my lighter, smaller and more agile Outback. I have taken my Outback to many places I just couldn't fit my old POS Frontier, yes I did say POS because it truly was.

Always in the shop, 4.0L V6 guzzled fuel like a big block V8 lol, horrible turning radius, broke the motor mounts twice towing and using the truck like a truck and well under the factory stated limits. Got rid of it before the known to disintegrate chain tensioner guides could do so.

To put it bluntly my Outback makes a better truck than that Frontier ever was. OT but In the end I am much, much happier with my 2011 Ford F-150 now.
You guys crack me up. Approach angles and the low gear option in the transfer case along with the optional locking rear diff. Add 1500+ lbs of cargo hauling ability and 6000+lbs of towing capacity the Frontier and the Tacoma are different tools for a different use. Sorry the Subaru's are awesome but they can't out perform these mid sized trucks when it comes to rough off pavement use and hauling ability. Different tools for different uses.

Subarus will run circles around the Midsized trucks on logging roads and pavement all day long but they can't haul a 800lb camper up those roads and cross streams that easily reach intake levels on the subaru. Nor can they handle 800lb camper or bed load through technical rough areas given the lack of low crawling gear.

This is the difference between the mid sized 4x4 trucks and the subaru

Both the tacoma and the frontier are in many cases the primary mode of transport in places where nearly no other vehicles survive. It's not a mistake that they are sold here in the US and hold strong values even with stupid high miles on them.

Full sized trucks do great off road but their size can pose a major issue on tight rough roads.

I would take a Frontier or Tacoma any day for lots of back country trips. Both trucks are equally highly capable rigs that can do things pretty much no one does here in the states.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I agree mostly with your X- Mode marketing theory , but after watching Subaru's testing of this feature on a Forester test mule I think it has a benefit for the typical everyday point a to b driver in bad weather, I also think at some point this will be a standard feature with all Subarus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts