Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
835 Posts
Very cool. thanks for posting. Wondered if it would work down hill. Can't say I ever saw a Subaru with a snorkel intake! Is that why the engine sounded so unusual?

Curious, though, if you're into off roading to this degree, why not get a Jeep, which is arguably more hard core? Are Subarus truly that capable not just in the ability to off road, but durability as well? Going off road is one thing, but avoiding constant repairs etc something entirely different.

·
Registered
2019 sprinter 4x4, 2021 xt touring
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool. thanks for posting. Wondered if it would work down hill. Can't say I ever saw a Subaru with a snorkel intake! Is that why the engine sounded so unusual?

Curious, though, if you're into off roading to this degree, why not get a Jeep, which is arguably more hard core? Are Subarus truly that capable not just in the ability to off road, but durability as well? Going off road is one thing, but avoiding constant repairs etc something entirely different.

So I have owned a 4dr Wrangler, lift blah blah blah. Outback goes everywhere i care to.
I have no interest in rocks, a stockish wrangler (tires and lift basically) breaks **** on that too.
I have no interest in deep mud (breaks stuff and is nasty)

So since I dont care about either, all i need is a good traction system, tires and a bit of ground clearance. The Subaru has yet to be stuck or not go where I need it to.
for example

Engine sounds louder because the mid resonator was removed, and a new pipe fabricated from the header to the axle back to increase clearance. I kept hitting the stock one and bent the crap out of it

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
835 Posts
Very good points, thanks. Cool video and very helpful. Never saw much use in off roading where I can literally walk faster!

Do you use skid plates? Do they help? Also, are they the "Primitive Racing" ones I've seen mentioned here?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,780 Posts
so, how is hill descent different from just not having, or somehow disabling, ABS and braking carefully going down?

also, is it common to have spotters when you guys are going over tough roads like that?

cool videos!

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
162 Posts
Not Grant, buuut....

I believe hill descent uses the VDC and ABS to better modulate braking, allowing the driver to focus on maintaining their line. When using hill descent on those hills, they controlled the speed better than I could. My personal problem was not trusting hill descent and stepping on the brakes more than I needed, overriding the hill descent function. If you enter a decline doing 6 mph and don't brake, Hill Descent will maintain your original speed of 6mph down the hill. If you enter a descent at idle or a crawl, it will maintain that speed as well, until you override with braking or throttle input.

so, how is hill descent different from just not having, or somehow disabling, ABS and braking carefully going down?

also, is it common to have spotters when you guys are going over tough roads like that?

cool videos!

cool videos!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
i was sort of waiting for a motorcycle to come blasting over that hill. Great video, thanks. BTW - You forgot to mention xmode in the vid.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
302 Posts
The details are on page 7-39 in the manual. Specifics about the hill descent control function:

Using the hill descent control function, you
can keep the vehicle at a consistent speed
driving downhill. If the vehicle speed is
likely to increase, the brake control system
will be activated to adjust the vehicle
speed.

The hill descent control function will be in
standby mode when the X-mode is activated
and the vehicle speed is less than
approximately 12 mph (20 km/h).

The function will operate when the vehicle
speed is less than approximately 12 mph
(20 km/h) and the accelerator ratio is less
than approximately 10%.
The function will turn off when the vehicle
speed is more than approximately 12 mph
(20 km/h) and the accelerator pedal is
depressed.
And some of the notes:

Even while the hill descent control
function is operating, you can vary the
vehicle speed by using the brake pedal
or accelerator pedal.

During braking by the hill descent
control function, the hill descent control
indicator will flash.

The hill descent control function is
operable regardless of the gradient of
the road.

The hill descent control function
may be considered normal when the
following conditions occur:

– An operating sound is heard
briefly from the engine compartment
while the hill descent control
function is operating.

– The sensation of depressing the
brake pedal is different, (harder
than usual etc.) when the brake
pedal is depressed during hill descent
control function operation.

·
Registered
2019 sprinter 4x4, 2021 xt touring
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was sort of waiting for a motorcycle to come blasting over that hill. Great video, thanks. BTW - You forgot to mention xmode in the vid.
THe video wasn't about Xmode. It was about HIll descent control

cool videos!
With years of experience, going down a slick mud and dirt hill without abs may be great. but for 90% of people, its a really bad idea.

Very good points, thanks. Cool video and very helpful. Never saw much use in off roading where I can literally walk faster!

Do you use skid plates? Do they help? Also, are they the "Primitive Racing" ones I've seen mentioned here?
You can't get to where we go any faster unless you are on a motorcycle

Yes. Skid plates in my opinion are life saving. Saved my butt more than a few times. And yes. From Primitive racing. Really the only option here.

·
Premium Member
Outback Executive 3.0 MY08 (VTD/VDC/LSD)
915 Posts
Hello

So it seems that X-mode/hill descent control does also control the gearbox and changes gears - or how does this work? Haven't seen the lights of reverse. As you tell in the video to leave it in drive, how could this work otherways?

In my 05 Outback, wenn failing on a hill (have no experiance with offroad, but with snow/ice on steep inclines) it beginns to slide backwards/down again as the tires are blocked (when taping on the brakes after failing to climb).

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue Metallic.
634 Posts
Great video!! Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: grantwilson
1 - 15 of 15 Posts