Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R LL Bean.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much decided on getting a XRT tune for the H6 which also addresses the wonky 5EAT. I was curious as to the best place to buy the Tactrix dongle. Direct they are $169 + adapter. I see them for considerably less and I assume they are knock offs. Any advice on where to buy? It would be great if someone who has had a XRT tune could give a short synopsis of the procedure and the amount of time it takes. He is having a special this month if anybody is on the fence. $375 including trans tune. Also, what plugs? Denso Irridium? Platinum? OE Subaru? Are NGK Laser Irridium worth the price bump? I use NGK in Porsche apps but this is my first Subaru.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pretty much decided on getting a XRT tune for the H6 which also addresses the wonky 5EAT. I was curious as to the best place to buy the Tactrix dongle. Direct they are $169 + adapter. I see them for considerably less and I assume they are knock offs. Any advice on where to buy? It would be great if someone who has had a XRT tune could give a short synopsis of the procedure and the amount of time it takes. He is having a special this month if anybody is on the fence. $375 including trans tune.
Pm me, it's much easier that way.

Also do not buy knockoffs they can brick your ecu

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
Pm me, it's much easier that way.

Also do not buy knockoffs they can brick your ecu

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I don't think the forum software will permit a pm back and forth until you have 10 posts, (admin's idea to fight the spam).

and Kyle, the NGK iridium IX are easy to buy and are what your car likes. some people short replace plugs no matter what you put in there though with tunes, ...people on the XRT chat forum probably gab about it all the time.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
I'm working with Ed of XRT.

Get the Tactrix direct from Tactrix. There's been too many shoddy knockoffs out there and people have had their ECU bricked. I would also suggest in getting an OBDII extension cable so that you don't have the Tactrix hanging from the dash. I've kicked mine a couple times and I've seen where some people have had the plug broken by kicking it.

Getting the tunes into the car isn't hard. A laptop and Tactrix is all you need hardware wise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eagleeye, you are correct. You need 15 posts. I sent him a message then saw he only has 3 posts. I will check out the XRT forums. Do you have a part number for that NGK? WP speedDIAL coughed up ILFR8B for what is called a NGK Laser Irridium.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will figure out how to do 15 posts...sooner or later.. I am usually on LGT

Either from Tactrix directly or someone whose tuned on XRT before. There was talk at a time of tactrix getting a distributor but the volume wasn't high enough to justify the costs.

I actually have a legacy, but the procedure is going to be the same. Once you get a tactrix and laptop you will download ECUEdit (from Tactrix website) and Romraider. Ed is an IT Genius and can teamviewer into your laptop and set all of the parameters and definitions if you do not feel comfortable doing it.

Hes going to have you start with 2 things, first he will ask for a downloaded copy of your current ECU rom (I never did this step since my car was ECUTek tuned before) and hes going to request a log via Rom raider. He will show you how to set up the parameters and what specifically he will want you to do with the car to get the information he needs)

Once there you will most likely be added to the Chatty on BBM where most of the XRT customers all talk about things including cars, food and whatever. They can help you more then I can with the 3rd get outback.

A few members on here are XRT long timers. If you want to talk to anyone with their extended experience, Traildogck would be the person to start with.

Its very simple to flash, I can give you instructions or someone else can but I will say this, always testwrite before you write. Always. Ed might say no need, but better to be safe then sorry. Don't want a bricked car

The best thing about what ed can do is the tune is specifically dialed into your vehicle, so its a fully custom tune. Something that very few people see. He's also far more knowledgeable then most cobb protuners, which is why a bunch of turbo GT guys are starting switch, because he is getting significantly more power with less boost and lower temperatures.

Can I ask where are you located? There might be a chance that someone is local and can help you in person if you need!

Let me know if you need anything else, that should be enough to get you started.

Oh..and a header back 3.0/3.6 will sound like a porsche 911 lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Logie is right, its simple. I haven't had the issue of the need for more length on the OBD-II connection but I have heard of issues like that popping up

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
eagleeye, you are correct. You need 15 posts. I sent him a message then saw he only has 3 posts. I will check out the XRT forums. Do you have a part number for that NGK? WP speedDIAL coughed up ILFR8B for what is called a NGK Laser Irridium.
NGK 6619 LFR6AIX-11 IX Iridium Plug

or the more expensive

NGK 6481 ILFR6B Laser Iridium Plug

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Logie is right, its simple. I haven't had the issue of the need for more length on the OBD-II connection but I have heard of issues like that popping up
I've got that third pedal. More movement over there. >:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will figure out how to do 15 posts...sooner or later.. I am usually on LGT

Either from Tactrix directly or someone whose tuned on XRT before. There was talk at a time of tactrix getting a distributor but the volume wasn't high enough to justify the costs.

I actually have a legacy, but the procedure is going to be the same. Once you get a tactrix and laptop you will download ECUEdit (from Tactrix website) and Romraider. Ed is an IT Genius and can teamviewer into your laptop and set all of the parameters and definitions if you do not feel comfortable doing it.

Hes going to have you start with 2 things, first he will ask for a downloaded copy of your current ECU rom (I never did this step since my car was ECUTek tuned before) and hes going to request a log via Rom raider. He will show you how to set up the parameters and what specifically he will want you to do with the car to get the information he needs)

Once there you will most likely be added to the Chatty on BBM where most of the XRT customers all talk about things including cars, food and whatever. They can help you more then I can with the 3rd get outback.

A few members on here are XRT long timers. If you want to talk to anyone with their extended experience, Traildogck would be the person to start with.

Its very simple to flash, I can give you instructions or someone else can but I will say this, always testwrite before you write. Always. Ed might say no need, but better to be safe then sorry. Don't want a bricked car

The best thing about what ed can do is the tune is specifically dialed into your vehicle, so its a fully custom tune. Something that very few people see. He's also far more knowledgeable then most cobb protuners, which is why a bunch of turbo GT guys are starting switch, because he is getting significantly more power with less boost and lower temperatures.

Can I ask where are you located? There might be a chance that someone is local and can help you in person if you need!

Let me know if you need anything else, that should be enough to get you started.

Oh..and a header back 3.0/3.6 will sound like a porsche 911 lol
I am in NoVA. I am sure I will be able to get the job done I was just wanting an idea of what it involved. Going to order the dongle, plugs, and download the software. I think the mods will stop there at least for now, so no headers! I just want a little more responsive car. I installed BC Racing coilovers as the stock struts were wasted, and just because. I may look into different mufflers but I really do not want a dronemobile. Maybe eliminate them and run resonators....

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,223 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,223 Posts
I've got that third pedal. More movement over there. >:)
I prefer the extension. I have it fed beghinf the dash in Frank and it pops out in the passenger footwell. Then Tactrix plugs in there. In Cherry I am constantly bumping it. I use my dead pedal alot. And it doesn't fit the OBD II connector really well, it's almost loose. The extension fits supertight and is smaller than the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts