Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear everyone:

I have been having some queries on the CVT tuning and I will say this is very much possible. The tuning is no different to the CVT that comes on the 2010+ CVT that came in the 2.5i.

At the present moment, I am currently working with a 2016/2017 3.6 CVT owner tweeking the CVT performance. So far he is very happy with the performance and operation of the CVT. I am hoping soon I can post extracts of that review.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd be highly interested in turning my 3.6 Legacy. Really would love to have the ability to utilize a COBB AP for such a tune as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,296 Posts
I'd like to take out the fake shift points and just let the CVT operate as originally intended.
I wouldn't mind a little faster rampup too, on throttle input. If these two things were fixed, I would have no problems about the CVT at all.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I'd be highly interested in turning my 3.6 Legacy. Really would love to have the ability to utilize a COBB AP for such a tune as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XRT does not use the AP platform. Not as of yet. It is remote tuning utilizing EcuFlash. XRT work is custom, it's not based on a plug and play, set and forget format. At least so far...

I am interested and excited for this development as well. My Tactrix is currently on loan for the 2017 3.6 CVT mentioned above.

I am hoping soon I can post extracts of that review.
Me too...

I wouldn't mind a little faster rampup too, on throttle input. If these two things were fixed, I would have no problems about the CVT at all.
Throttle mapping has been done for sure, so (1) of (2) knocked down already....But I have probably said too much, I don't want to be speaking out of school...

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
The tuning is no different to the CVT that comes on the 2010+ CVT that came in the 2.5i.
I believe that is correct for the G1 CVT (TR690) variant used with the 3.6 engine, but I doubt it applies to the substantially different G2 CVT (TR580) mated to the 2.5 (FB25) engine in 2015+ Legacys and Outbacks.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Complete newbie when it comes to this tuning/mapping but anything that could increase performance and/or efficiency peaks my interest. Wouldn't something like this void most of your warranty however since you're tinkering with the vehicle's computer?

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Complete newbie when it comes to this tuning/mapping but anything that could increase performance and/or efficiency peaks my interest. Wouldn't something like this void most of your warranty however since you're tinkering with the vehicle's computer?
Unlike a COBB, which "marries" itself to your own, individual ECU, like a brand almost...

Remote tuning is completely reversible. Meaning...you Load you stock ROM back on at any time. In fact, many times that is part of the tuning and logging process. My car can't run right without a tune due to severe modifications...but I can re load, my stock ROM any time...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...184122-reading-flashing-your-ecu-dummies.html

see here....

http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=677

and here....

http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=670

and here....

http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=593

Everyone needs to contact XRT individually if interested. My car is a completely different animal, I don't work for Ed, but I have been supported very well. . Be frank about what you want...and go from there......

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
@traildogck Good to know it can be reversed. Thanks for the links. Most helpful.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Here is the review. Pains me I can tune the engine but I do not have the logging to tune the ECU. Below is the customer feedback.

What I will say that every car, unless what I support so far, I have to create a definition and then I can tune the CVT. This can sometimes take a few hours rechecking to make sure all is right before I even submit a rom.

OK, so here are some of my thoughts after your throttle tune and trying the factory back to back:

The tuned is a definite improvement! I guess because I had gotten used to yours I had forgot how the factory tune was.

The best way I could describe the factory throttle is an on / off switch. I'm pretty sure Subaru did this intentionally to either trick drivers into thinking the car had more power than it did. "Oh man, it did that at only 1/4 throttle, imagine what 3/4 would do!" Or it was something dealing with emissions and gas mileage. Either way, I am not a fan.

At least, I'm not a fan after trying yours. Ignorance really is bliss here. The tuned throttle is MUCH more linear. I AM a fan of it. I have not got any times or trials for specific numbers, but the butt dyno says it's faster. It might be the same, but it certainly feels more responsive. It changes the driving experience of the car over all. It is constantly wanting to growl to life as I drive. It is absolutely infectious, I find myself smiling more when I'm driving after the throttle change. Isn't that the point?

Look forward to working with you more.

Thanks.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Drivabilty Inprovement

So what the above illustrates is what I like to call drivabilty happiness. My car is perfectly in tune with my driving style...whatever the driving scenario. I have been tuned a long time and despite some modifications...I have been running on the same tune for quite a long time.

It makes my car more usable. I think the off-road capabiltiy potential could be huge. I would suppose that XRT would be able to provide throttle mapping, in form of a specific tune...you drop, when you air down....and you get off-road friendly throttle and power. AVO Turboworld has a DBW throttle mapping box for the older turbo cars (like mine) and it had a specific economy and Off-Road specific throttle modifications.

I think the potential for benefits can be very interesting here. The logging part is the nut that hopefully can get cracked. Sounds like a lot of work.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
567 Posts
I believe that is correct for the G1 CVT (TR690) variant used with the 3.6 engine, but I doubt it applies to the substantially different G2 CVT (TR580) mated to the 2.5 (FB25) engine in 2015+ Legacys and Outbacks.
Hello ammcinnis, are you aware of any documentation that shows that the HT-CVT is closely related to the CVT used in 2010-2014 2.5L Outbacks? On other websites, I've been told that is not the case.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Any information...confirmation or definitive ... helps

·
Registered
2016 3.6R with all options, 2014 Crosstrek
836 Posts
Unlike a COBB, which "marries" itself to your own, individual ECU, like a brand almost...

Remote tuning is completely reversible. Meaning...you Load you stock ROM back on at any time. In fact, many times that is part of the tuning and logging process. My car can't run right without a tune due to severe modifications...but I can re load, my stock ROM any time...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...184122-reading-flashing-your-ecu-dummies.html

see here....

Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - Remote Tuning

and here....

Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - What makes XRT different to other Tuning Companies/Tuners?

and here....

Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - XRT Diagnostic/Troubleshooting Support Service

Everyone needs to contact XRT individually if interested. My car is a completely different animal, I don't work for Ed, but I have been supported very well. . Be frank about what you want...and go from there......
What do you mean the Cobb "Marries itself"? Do you mean that once installed a Cobb system will ALWAYS be visible to a dealer or Subaru? That's a bit, um, scary. I always liked the idea of being able to completely reverse any modification if need be.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
So I am not 100% weather or not it leaves a trace. All I know, is they are sold for you and they mate to you car. Its been a long time since I had one. I don't remember if there is a back-to-stock-ecu function or not. I had a V2, and there are newer units.

They don't make any interface for your cars anyway. WRX, BRZ, STI...that it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,332 Posts
Interesting. I tuned my BMW

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tuning changes

Ok I release the following changes to the 2017 Subaru Legacy 3.6 CVT:
  • DBW - Made the throttle linear
  • Engine Request Torque Maps
  • Fuel Maps
  • Improve fuel related maps that affects when power can be available early in the rpm and Accelerator related

The customer is putting some more miles on the rom before he provides his thoughts. So far, all have been well with comments that torque is now much lower into the rpm and the car just wants to go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts