Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My final opinion is that it's the boost (turbo sound) and the CVT complaining about all that torque.
Hope it lasts!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT Crystal White Pearl
56 Posts
When flooring the throttle leaving a stop I get this so called squeal that sounds like the tires breaking loose. The first time it did it I figured the tires started to spin a little. But not so sure.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
Please make a recording/video of the squeal and give us a link to it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
107 Posts
I know exactly the sound he's talking about. Mine does it too but only when you mat it. I can tell you I don't believe its the whoosh of the turbo or the PFFT of the wastegate. Never heard a sound like it before. Not a squeal, its lower pitch. Kind of like if an electric drill made a woooooo sound. Tone and pitch sort of like when you blow across a beer bottle, but with a mechanical element. My guess is that its the 2.4T beating the CVT into submission for not being a proper 6MT! 😁

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
I know exactly the sound he's talking about.... Not a squeal, its lower pitch. Kind of like if an electric drill made a woooooo sound. Tone and pitch sort of like when you blow across a beer bottle, but with a mechanical element.
What if his is making an actual squeal? That's why I asked for a recording because his might not sound like yours or mine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What if his is making an actual squeal? That's why I asked for a recording because his might not sound like yours or mine.
good point!

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
56 Posts
I made a recording, but you can’t hear it in the recording. I may try it again with the window down.
I am not sure how to post a video here.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
You have to put a link to your video in this forum - videos can't be uploaded so people use youtube or google drive or some other place they can put it and give us a link to access it.

Reactions: ThunderBob

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
251 Posts
When flooring the throttle leaving a stop I get this so called squeal that sounds like the tires breaking loose. The first time it did it I figured the tires started to spin a little. But not so sure.
Mine does this if I accelerate into a right hand turn, my rear left wheel has 2-3 lower Psi then the rest also, I need to go have them fix that and do my 1000 mile oil change, I feel like I was little rough during my break in...I feel bad.

Regarding the CVT....I am understanding the complaints people are having...The way it shifts is unpredictable and the "simulated shifts" feel jarring when launching the car. Y'all I don't know if I like it to be honest....When it acts like a normal CVT its so smooth the way you feel the turbo effortlessly pull the car up to 60mph but when it shifts the car feels sorta janky...

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
My rear left wheel has 2-3 lower Psi then the rest also, I need to go have them fix that
You mean you take it to the dealer to adjust tire pressure?

Reactions: O-Deer

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,657 Posts
Many places aren't very good with tire pressures - Costco tire underinflated my rear tires when they changed them - it's one of those things where if you care about it being accurate you kinda have to do it yourself or at least verify yourself. If your dealership is good with tire pressures then you'd be lucky and it may depend on which employee is doing it.

Reactions: O-Deer

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I still have not been able to get a clear audio recording of the sound, but it sounds like a tire breaking loose on pavement.
Im going in for an oil change this week and I will have a mechanic ride with me to check it out if I can.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts