Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 4th gen that has had issues, and the dealer is letting me return it. What I don't know yet is my financing on a different car...So I am waiting. Because of this I wanted to get your opinions, and have some direct questions about the XT or regular OB:

-Are there problems with the OB?

-Are there more problems with the XT?

-Power is nice, but not a must... how much of a difference do you feel? (non are close by for sale or I would go test drive to find out)

-How much does insurance change for you( assuming normal record)

Do they ride differently? I know XT has sportier seating

Thanks guys.

PS: these are the only questions i have for now. I have considered fuel costs for each vehicle also.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
4gen what year and what were your problems?

The 3rd gen OB's are smaller ie narrower - seating in the back seat is more cramped - handling is more in line with a car vs SUV and yes pending which Turbo model you get based on the year - they had a habit of eating turbos and needing major engine rebuilds.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I had an '08 Legacy GT, same motor. I put 88k miles on it with zero issues. But I also did the routine maintenence and didn't modify a thing. From what I read they changed the turbo in '07? and fixed some of the issues.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another NEW turbo Subaru, but I would be very cautious to buy a used one, simply because turbos need good routine maintenence. If you can verify the maintenence and it's low miles, I would suggest the XT if you want the power.

If you'd rather buy a car and not have to worry about any possible turbo problems, go the regular OB. I sold my high mileage LGT because I didn't want the "what ifs" hanging over my head on a car that I still had a payment on. If I owned it free and clear, I would have kept it. I am considering a turbo for my next car, but it won't see nearly as many miles as my LGT did.

Check out legacygt.com for lots of info on turbo Legacy/OB

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VR4, how was the power of your normal OB? I have the 2011 now with the CVT, and I hate the CVT.... Makes it feel like it doesn't have power at all...

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
VR4, how was the power of your normal OB? I have the 2011 now with the CVT, and I hate the CVT.... Makes it feel like it doesn't have power at all...
I had the 2012 CVT (had a 2.5i 2012) and there is a significant improvement with the 2013.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my options are, Turbo time bomb, or slow.....:S lol

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
A 3500 pound station wagon with 170hp is slow? Who'd a thunk it?!

·
Registered
'97 Outback stock - Well she was rolled 7/9/17 coming back from Savannah, Ga and totaled :-( Not I have an '07 Outback - not sure for how long though - would like an XT :-)
40 Posts
Chris, I don't know what you are looking for, but my '97 OBW is plenty fast, (even though it's a 5mt) with 247K.
Turbos need good oil maintenance, and the NA cars possilby need (at least older ones) head gaskets. It's a Subaru fact of life.
You're probably just fustrated now with a sick OB. It'll all be right again when you hear the exhaust note as you're going down the highway, at least it has for me :cool:.

Later, T.J.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
The H6 Outbacks are also an option...not quite as much oomph as an XT, but much more than the N/A 2.5...and reliability of those engines is excellent.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I have an '11 CVT now. As far as AT cars go, it is spectacular. I test drove an '08 4eat Legacy before going with the LGT. It felt like a dog and shifted like, well like a 4EAT car does.

As Subiesailer said, the CVT feels magnificant compared to the old 4EAT tranny. IMO for the 2.5i even a 5EAT would be sluggish. If you really think the CVT is the problem go test drive a new 4EAT Forester. Same engine as the '13 OB. My dad has an '11 with the new engine and 4EAT and my mom has a '09 with the same engine as my OB and the 4EAT. Both feel like they have less power and pep than my heavier '11 OB with the CVT. And both get worse mpg than my bigger heavier CVT OB ;)

I dislike ATs in general, I just enjoy driving a MT. I've driven 3,4,5 speed AT, and they all seem to have times when one gear is too high but it doesn't pick the lower gear until it's too low. Something you can avoid with a MT. The CVT, by nature, doesn't have the limited gears so it feels like it's always in the right gear.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
"Honey Badger" 2005 OBXT Limited 5EAT 108K+ miles
107 Posts
yes it does. premium fuel, lower gas mileage, and a more intensive maintenance regimen are the prices you pay for the fun factor.

...and an XT is definitely fun.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If you want the power, $3 or $4 per fill up isn't a big deal. I could get 27mpg out of my LGT on long highway runs and I get about the same city mileage in my short commute out of my little Hyundai. Even with rising prices the differential is generally 20-30 cents for premium. Not a deal breaker if you want the performance. The tranny on the 3rd gen is the biggest factor in fuel consumption. With the XT you get the more efficient 5EAT, so the MPG differential is much less. But still nowhere near as efficient as a CVT.

Def more rigourous maint. and a blown turbo can be catastrophic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts