Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Very informative post! thanks for the effort, these are a lot of things I've never even thought about before

I just went with the STi Performance Gauge Pack which has boost, oil temp and oil pressure along with a custom tune done by GST. I could also use my AP as a gauge to read one of many parameters.
I just looked up gst and found they are only 30mins away from me. How much did that tune cost?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
'09 OBXT with SpecB 6MT/BTS-5056/DOM1.5XTR and '02 WRX w/loads of JDM parts
292 Posts
I just looked up gst and found they are only 30mins away from me. How much did that tune cost?
Downpipe installation and tune was $480. I didn't want to install the Maddad downpipe and run the Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune so I just let them do everything. GST is one of the best Subaru tuners in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
At what interval do you think it would be wise to replace the banjo bolts? Is that something that should be done every couple oil changes?
I can't think of a simple answer to this... I think a lot of owners snap into over-maintaining this part, but it's still a critical thing. I've never found anything officially published by Subaru on the topic, so I'll just share my own formula.

I'll go with whichever comes first: 60,000 miles, 5 years, or immediately upon discovering a missed oil change or incorrect oil used or engine temperature anomaly.

My car showed a nearly perfectly clear screen at 103k miles with no previous checks of the screen in the service log. Previous owner was good about keeping up oil maintenance but apparently never pulled the bolt.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Bump after 6 years - the XT is back!

For the 2020 there's no banjo bolt filter, but the following still applies:

I think the biggest thing is people stepping up from N/A cars to turbo cars and not realizing how much damage can be caused if they go low on oil, have a failure, or just don't take care of the engine, not saying it doesn't cause issues in N/A motors as well, but it sure cost a lot more when a turbo motor shreds something like a bearing
It's worth reading this thread just to understand how critical oil quality, oil change frequency, oil filter quality, are to turbos in general. Turbos are not forgiving of maintenance neglect or cutting corners on quality.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts