Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new 2022 XT, has been driven 200 miles. Does anyone notice when you reach around 2000 rpm, you can feel vibration on the gas/ brake pedals? There is no huge vibration on the floor or the steering wheel.
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,395 Posts
Someone else mentioned the same thing but I'm not clear on what caused it. Can't say I notice it on my 2020 XT so it's not "normal"

But check your air conditioning lines in the engine bay - there is an A/C line along the firewall that can rub and rattle.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone else mentioned the same thing but I'm not clear on what caused it. Can't say I notice it on my 2020 XT so it's not "normal"

But check your air conditioning lines in the engine bay - there is an A/C line along the firewall that can rub and rattle.
Ahaha, just found that post. Try to figure this out. 2000 rpm is the turbo start point, maybe there are someone has this issue as well.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,395 Posts
Turbos don't normally vibrate though - they spin so fast that any vibration would mean they're seriously damaged. The gas pedal is connected to the firewall so I think the source of the vibration is on the firewall or attached to the firewall and the turbo is pretty distant.

The top of the transmission is attached to the firewall so it's possible that engine or transmission vibration could be transmitted enough to feel something in a pedal.

Reactions: jes2 and traveler89

·
Registered
2020 Defender
413 Posts
@traveler89 I experienced this as well, but after testing with against an identical Touring XT, determined that adjusting the seat position reduced this sensation. For me, I was driving with the seat set lowest to the floor. By raising it one or two “clicks” higher, it helped but did not entirely fix.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,764 Posts
@traveler89 I experienced this as well, but after testing with against an identical Touring XT, determined that adjusting the seat position reduced this sensation. For me, I was driving with the seat set lowest to the floor. By raising it one or two “clicks” higher, it helped but did not entirely fix.
May be the seat was touching the chassis at it's lowest setting and transmitting vibrations.

·
Registered
'21 Outback Onyx XT
14 Posts
Ive noticed the same thing. Even when I'm in manual shift mode and downshift to get the engine at 2000 rpms and just rest my foot on the gas pedal, 0% on the accelerator widet. For me, it seams at approx 1900 - 2100 rpms. I'll play with the seat to see if there is any change and report back as well.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
May be the seat was touching the chassis at it's lowest setting and transmitting vibrations.
I played with the seat, seems like not work. I had a close look for the AC pipe &bracket, for 2022 model, they are very separated and cannot hit other things.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update: My OB has been driven over 1000 miles, double confirmed this problem is only related to the rpm while driving. And the following pictures are the AC pipe and bracket for the 2022 model year. I can easily put my fingers through, it cannot hit other things.

Will do more experiments tomorrow:
When engine reach the normal temperature:
a. Put into P and make it around 2000 rpm.
b. Running at 60, 70, 80, making it around 2000 rpm.
c. Running at low speed, making it around 2000 rpm.
Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updates:
I found if the temperature is below 50 F, (a)(b)(c) can produce vibration. I confirmed this during my road trip from MA to FL, put 4200 miles to the odometer. I didn't feel any vibration in warm weather, so maybe the temperature can affect the rubber damper of transmission or other things mounted on the fire wall. Took my car to the dealer yesterday, they said there is no issue with the fire wall/ things are mounted.

And want to share some pictures during my road trip:
Sky Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

CT
CT

CT
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Orlando
Sky Plant Tree Infrastructure Shade

Orlando
Car Tire Sky Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Miami
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle registration plate Car

Way to Key West
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Key West
Car Land vehicle Sky Vehicle Wheel

Key West

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update: My OB has been driven over 1000 miles, double confirmed this problem is only related to the rpm while driving. And the following pictures are the AC pipe and bracket for the 2022 model year. I can easily put my fingers through, it cannot hit other things.

Will do more experiments tomorrow:
When engine reach the normal temperature:
a. Put into P and make it around 2000 rpm.
b. Running at 60, 70, 80, making it around 2000 rpm.
c. Running at low speed, making it around 2000 rpm.
View attachment 528146
View attachment 528147
I used tape and zip tie to wrap the AC pipe, but this doesn't work for my case.

Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist

Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my new 2022 XT, has been driven 200 miles. Does anyone notice when you reach around 2000 rpm, you can feel vibration on the gas/ brake pedals? There is no huge vibration on the floor or the steering wheel.
View attachment 527909
I also have noticed this problem with my 2022 Limited XT. Purchased this summer and put about 15000 kilometers on it doing trips to the east coast. Did not notice the problem until this winter. I’m also thinking this could be tempurture related. Took it into service and they said everything was fine. Notice the vibration in the 2000 rpm range. I don’t think this should occur. I will monitor this forum for any further updates and will post if I find a resolution.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can find my thread but I improvised an 'engineered' exhaust leak at the mufflers to get a bit more racecar out of the OBXT exhaust. I will say the exhaust is loudest and resonates a bit right around the 2kRPM you mention. I've noticed a bit of vibrato in my pedal as well, my guess is it's a confluence of engine vibration and/or exhaust right around that RPM.

·
Registered
2022 Outback XT
6 Posts
Ive had the vibration since purchase. 4200mi on the car and currently at the dealer to look into. Vibration is fairly pronounced.

·
Registered
2022 Outback XT
6 Posts
Looking forward to hearing what the dealer has to say.
Soooo, good news bad news kind of thing. Went to pick up the car and met with the service manager to have them feel the vibration. Service techs said they couldn't feel. Service manager felt immediately once I explained. Confirmed vibration present in TWO other limited XTs on the lot, so as of right now, not being considered an issue, just an oddity present in this model that is not pointing to anything wrong.......yet. That being said, the service manager was going to check "TechLine" and see if there is a reported issue with a fix. Will update with any new developments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts