Subaru Outback Forums banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
See thats what I thought. Wrap the headers, up pipe and down pipe! That man is just silly to say don't do it. So now i'm gonna do it!!! Gracias amigo!!

Dunno about silly. It really depends on what the pipes are made of and how they're finished. Wraps can collect salty moisture and dramatically accelerate corrosion. Maybe you have good pipes and little road salt- might last quite a while. Maybe they're cheap pipes and you don't care about having to replace them in two years.

There are obvious benefits to wrapping the pipes- just make sure they outweigh the problems.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oh I hear you Raster and fully agree - its all what you spend. But my pipes are avo so the quality is top notch. Like my mid and mufflers. I don't go cheap. First rule. But well noted.

The fact that the manifold and up pipe are hidden by the OEM front scratch plate barely any salt can get up there. Plus I'm pretty anal about washing it. In the end I'll see what they say when I go in. In my view almost every other shop wraps the pipes around here. So I'm still at odds.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Yes that will fit...The have the same flange, and the same length...even though the '06 STI has an unequal...it'll work. Perrin makes nice stuff, especially pipes.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
So if that is the case the header would fit as well? From what I can understand the STI motor is very similar to ours.
In 2005 for Legacy based rigs and then...in 2008 for WRX based rigs...the headers went from unequal length header...to equal. Unequal was due to drain pan design....

So In short ... No. An Equal length header for a 2008 STI would....

Just watch your parts. Search 2005 LGT and you will be safest...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ended up not getting the Perrin as it appeared to be poorly re-welded. I did find an OEM STI Catless up-pipe, is there much of a performance difference between that and an aftermarket. I read there could be roughly a 70 CFM difference between them, but for somebody that doesn't plan to run the car over a stage 2, would that matter?

My plan is to run a Catless Up-Pipe with an aftermarket down & Mid pipe with high flow cat. From there I want to keep the stock mufflers and have an Electrical Cut-Out before the pipes split. Would tuning for this be difficult? I want to run a not so aggressive stage 2.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the up-pipe...it will be fine, little performance ups and downs are all part of a larger build. So a catless DP then...and high flow cat...no resonator?

Tuning is tuning. You either learn, or get someone to do it. Or get a COBB AP and you'll get real close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
High Flow Cat and a Resonator. I would rather not use COBB AP for a couple different reasons, but if adding the mufflers on and off plays haywire with the ECU, being able to re-tune on the fly might be the best option. I have never really felt the desire to invest much time into the tuning aspect of cars, with the inherent risk of blowing things up and all. Does XRT tune manuals or just the autos?

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
High Flow Cat and a Resonator. I would rather not use COBB AP for a couple different reasons, but if adding the mufflers on and off plays haywire with the ECU, being able to re-tune on the fly might be the best option. I have never really felt the desire to invest much time into the tuning aspect of cars, with the inherent risk of blowing things up and all. Does XRT tune manuals or just the autos?
Ed tunes all Boxter platforms.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oh I hear you Raster and fully agree - its all what you spend. But my pipes are avo so the quality is top notch. Like my mid and mufflers. I don't go cheap. First rule. But well noted.

The fact that the manifold and up pipe are hidden by the OEM front scratch plate barely any salt can get up there. Plus I'm pretty anal about washing it. In the end I'll see what they say when I go in. In my view almost every other shop wraps the pipes around here. So I'm still at odds.
I retract that comment. Avo pipes....pretty much Tomei/Agency Power pipes. The tribolt flanges for the uppipe irk me a lot. They are nice....but its time to change to an el. I won't lie its loud. There is power but its not smooth. At this point I'm just trying to keep the old girl running.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
At this point I'm just trying to keep the old girl running.
Spoken like a true XT guy...I'd laugh if Frankie weren't in the exact same place...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yes you should. Ed beat me to this. My XRT 5EAT is the best mod I have on my other car. And that car has a lot, a lot of modification. Search FranKenWagon.

Then get an XRT Stage 2 5EAT tune.
Well to be honest, since your tuning, we have done more to the 5EAT for 2017. So now all of XRT Stage 2 goes to Stage 1. So all will have the benefit of having Stage 2 as stage 1 and the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 in 2017+ is night and day. So if you thought that Stage 2 was wonderful, lol, try the new XRT-5EAT Stg2 for 2017.

Only cars 2008+ can really take more advantage of the tuning, due to more maps related to the 5EAT Transmission operation.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Only cars 2008+ can really take more advantage of the tuning, due to more maps related to the 5EAT Transmission operation.
So Frank (2006) has the best I can get. And Cherry can only benefit to the same point since she's 2005.

That's fine with me. I luv what I have.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Get yourself tuned, you'll like the 5EAT even more. I put the F1 in mine to get really fast bang shifts, loving it.

What did you mean by you put the f1 in yours?
Hexmods f1 valve body. A guy in Texas started a side business rebuilding these valve bodies for faster & firmer shifts. I don't know if he's still doing it, since these cars are old now... but I got one and I like it.

That was before XRT started offering TCU tuning. I haven't had a chance to compare results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hexmods f1 valve body. A guy in Texas started a side business rebuilding these valve bodies for faster & firmer shifts. I don't know if he's still doing it, since these cars are old now... but I got one and I like it.

That was before XRT started offering TCU tuning. I haven't had a chance to compare results.
I found the guy he is still making them but your correct if doing tcu tuning it may not be needed. Thank you for the information

·
Registered
386 Posts
We tune, we replace parts, we try to nuture these old beasts.....and yet I still ask the question - WHY THE **** CAN'T SUBARU MAKE AN NEW OUTBACK XT........they continually make new wrx's for all the skinny jean vaping bro flap YOHB stereotyped....nevermind.....gahhhh!!!!

I hate sedans.....I love me a wagon. STI wagon....yes please....oh wait....subaru says no. Replace the internals of the OBXT with a WRX...dreams are nice. Power.....suspension upgrades.....sport wagon.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
58 Participants
west_minist
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing