Subaru Outback Forums banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
We tune, we replace parts, we try to nuture these old beasts.....and yet I still ask the question - WHY THE **** CAN'T SUBARU MAKE AN NEW OUTBACK XT........they continually make new wrx's for all the skinny jean vaping bro flap YOHB stereotyped....nevermind.....gahhhh!!!!

I hate sedans.....I love me a wagon. STI wagon....yes please....oh wait....subaru says no. Replace the internals of the OBXT with a WRX...dreams are nice. Power.....suspension upgrades.....sport wagon.
I can stomach a sedan, but a hatch or a wagon is the way to go in my opinion. The mid-2000 time frame was an apex point for the number of turbo variants at Subaru. I remember being at the dealership in 2005 and looking at the FXT 5MT and the OBXT 5MT limited models and trying to decide which to buy. I went with the FXT and remember thinking that Subaru, Audi, and Volvo were the only manufacturers who really catered to that group of folks looking for an AWD turbo wagon. Fast forward and now only Volvo, Audi, and now VW dominate that scene.

I personally wish they would build a Crosstrek XT. I did own a 2013 Crosstrek limited and although I really liked the way the car looked and handled, the car was so weak kneed that I wanted to send it packing a week after I bought it. I know Subaru still makes the FXT so we know its possible that they could build a new OBXT or Crosstrek XT. My experiences with the CVT was that no matter how I tried to like it, I really hated it, and it was a major contributor to my dislike of the Crosstrek so I would be really skeptical of a new turbo car using that tranny. I know there are a lot of 5EAT fans on this forum and I think thats great, but the CVT has become the mainstay for Subaru these days and no amount of performance shift mapping is going to make them perform as well as the 5EAT or even better a true dual clutch solution like the DSG or the SMG transmissions from VW and BMW. Once you have driven those you truly know what an auto shifting vehicle can accomplish.

·
Premium Member
15,846 Posts
We tune, we replace parts, we try to nuture these old beasts.....and yet I still ask the question - WHY THE **** CAN'T SUBARU MAKE AN NEW OUTBACK XT........they continually make new wrx's for all the skinny jean vaping bro flap YOHB stereotyped....nevermind.....gahhhh!!!!

I hate sedans.....I love me a wagon. STI wagon....yes please....oh wait....subaru says no. Replace the internals of the OBXT with a WRX...dreams are nice. Power.....suspension upgrades.....sport wagon.
I concur.

So much indeed, I decided to have (2) of them. Now I want a straight up LGT wagon. No body cladding and no lifted chassis to deal with by lowering.

·
Registered
386 Posts
And the Levorg is CVT.......which makes no sense to me.

I think my next car purchase will be a 2014-2017 Focus ST. Don't need awd for commuting, love stick though lately with the XT being AT it's a blessing in the mixed weather traffic. I tell you MA drivers sometimes have no f'ing clue how to drive in the weather. At all. I drive the Z3 when I can but having too many leaks is starting to wear me down.

I keep hoping Subaru would make a turbo wagon but maybe 3.0r is better down the road and less ambitious to modify. The world is flat people....flat.

And JNR I agree with you on the Crosstrek. I test drove one, wanted one in manual but the power was so weak it surprised me. The size was perfect though and I enjoyed the styling. Put it up to 200 or 250hp and I'd be sold in a second. But that powerband was so weak I honestly wanted to beat my head against the steering wheel and pray I could get out into traffic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Christchurch Contact about XT tuning

Hello im from Christchurch New Zealand and am keen to tune my 2008 Outback XT. Has any one in Christchurch/New Zealand have a tactrix 2.0 cables or has done the tuning before that i can have a talk with?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
And the Levorg is CVT.......which makes no sense to me.

I think my next car purchase will be a 2014-2017 Focus ST. Don't need awd for commuting, love stick though lately with the XT being AT it's a blessing in the mixed weather traffic. I tell you MA drivers sometimes have no f'ing clue how to drive in the weather. At all. I drive the Z3 when I can but having too many leaks is starting to wear me down.

I keep hoping Subaru would make a turbo wagon but maybe 3.0r is better down the road and less ambitious to modify. The world is flat people....flat.

And JNR I agree with you on the Crosstrek. I test drove one, wanted one in manual but the power was so weak it surprised me. The size was perfect though and I enjoyed the styling. Put it up to 200 or 250hp and I'd be sold in a second. But that powerband was so weak I honestly wanted to beat my head against the steering wheel and pray I could get out into traffic.
You and I have similar taste in cars as I owned a Z3 mcoupe a while back and my daily driver is a 2016 Gti with performance pack and 6MT . Like the Focus ST it's a great car for a DD and can get 37-38 mpg but still runs and handles great. Maybe just pick up a focus rs and be done?:)

It funny, even though my GTI is a blast to drive, my OBXT is just as much fun in its own way. Once I get the suspension upgraded i am sure it will be far less thrilling through the tight corners .

·
Premium Member
15,846 Posts
Hello im from Christchurch New Zealand and am keen to tune my 2008 Outback XT. Has any one in Christchurch/New Zealand have a tactrix 2.0 cables or has done the tuning before that i can have a talk with?

Thanks
XRT Tuning has some folks tuned in Oz and NZ. Especially if you have the 5EAT, more tuning fun to be had with the Auto.

I am super happy with XRT myself.

See Here....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/284834-5eat-removing-lag-changing-performance-shifting.html

·
Premium Member
15,846 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have myself a '66 Corsa with factory A/C. No convertible.
Hey traildogck I need to catch up to you on pm regarding the corvair. I need to start working on mine this summer and could use some pointers. Love the sound of the xt but the sound of a flat 6 is pretty nice too!!

·
Premium Member
15,846 Posts
Hey traildogck I need to catch up to you on pm regarding the corvair. I need to start working on mine this summer and could use some pointers. Love the sound of the xt but the sound of a flat 6 is pretty nice too!!
My air cooled flat 6, Chevy Built, sexy Porsche fighter is the only motor I ever rebuilt. Oddly, I have never driven her legally on the road. She is my retirement project. I have driven several Monza s growing up. Great balance and steering.

Just like a gen3 XT when you get the chassis dialed.

pm Me anytime...I love to talk rear engine, air cooled flat 6....

·
Registered
386 Posts
You and I have similar taste in cars as I owned a Z3 mcoupe a while back and my daily driver is a 2016 Gti with performance pack and 6MT . Like the Focus ST it's a great car for a DD and can get 37-38 mpg but still runs and handles great. Maybe just pick up a focus rs and be done?:)

It funny, even though my GTI is a blast to drive, my OBXT is just as much fun in its own way. Once I get the suspension upgraded i am sure it will be far less thrilling through the tight corners .
Z3 M coupes are my dream, like a rare unicorn. Love those curves. When I see them, I drool, profusely hahahaha. The 1.9 is a fun car but lacks the power entirely but whats the point of trying to go fast when its sunny outside. But more or less I just want a DD and manual so either I drive the Z into the ground or get an ST or veloster turbo and call it a day.

Upgrade that suspension on the OB!!! Trust me, its worth it. Corners like a champ and nothing like ripping around the on/off ramps surprising everyone.

·
Premium Member
15,846 Posts
Z3 M coupes are my dream, like a rare unicorn.
I like them as well, Pure GT 2 door styling. Like My MGC GT...3 door, Not a convertible. Mine looks like this....well did, it in restoration process to make everything numbers correct. Scroll down to the deep blue. That was my ride for my driving years in high school.

https://www.google.com/search?q=MGC+GT&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8m8m3s_rSAhVQx2MKHSPqDaYQ_AUIBigB&biw=1366&bih=638#imgrc=u3gH-qG_VY5JsM:

My Brother in law is a PhD chemist and has a Z3 M soft top. He drives it like he stole it...bought it new. Goes through a set of tire less than a year. He has no problem crushing 100 down an on ramp from 15 mph launch. He's blown out the rear diff cradle twice...due to launch strength. He has some Dinan work and a race cutch....

I just wish it was a GT...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Those MGC GT's are just peachy. Love em....though I have history with MG's....I sadly killed my fathers MGBGT a week of having my license. Panic stop, popped the brake pedal off and ended up popping the clutch thinking I was hitting the brakes. Side impact and then a high curb was the end of it. That was a sad day.

But those C's are just beauties. Plus with a little tinkering, god those things could fly. The Z3 M has always been a dream to own but ever since seeing Goldeneye I wanted that little gem in atlantic blue but the wife hates the Z sooooo I'll just be Bond driving solo hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
15,846 Posts
I got the Car Bug from my Dad. He found the MGC GT for me, and if he'd have finance'd me, I would have a '67 XJ Jag in possession as well. But I had my own $ for the MG. But @ 16 years old, he was trying to teach me some responsibility. (see how that failed miserably) See, Pops is an MG guy.

Here is some of his work...I rode in this car as a kid. I have also shaken the hickory firewall cowl on many a Pennsylvania Pothole behind the wheel.

@kingpinXT2005 I should PM you about MG pedal placement...oh heck...just do it here. I would typically leave my MGC in gear when I shut it down. Mum jumped in one day to move it out...to get Dad's '52 TD (before the over the top restoration) out. It was parked crossways (like a T-bone) in front of my GT.

Well she turned the key...with so much torque...that big 6 fired up and lurched into the running board of Dad's '52. Mum immediately stomped on the brake and tried to find the clutch. She was actually stomping on the throttle. There was 1/4" of rubber on the garage floor by the time she got done trying to drive Dad's '52 (sideways) into the mudroom with my GT. (through the wall between the attached garage and the house)

Yeah...that was one of those Ferris Bueller Bad days. Mum messed up my grill and broke my MG emblem. But the '52 was reall F'd up.

OH...on my 48th birthday last month, my father got me this Brooklands test book. Enjoy. (hi-jack complete)

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oh mannnnn, my dad had a TD as well before selling it and buying the B's....think he had 3 of them. That TD was such a peach and same color as yours. Beautiful, just beautiful!!!

If I had a garage oh things I would love to put in it hahahaha.

The pedals on those B's were so small and delicate. Its honestly surprising that my father never had issues with it cause he would stomp on the throttle like a boss when on the highway. I think he'd still like to get a B or maybe an A one day but right now he's satisfied with his Tacoma. He just reminds me if my kid one day wrecks my car that I have to act just like him and be glad the kiddo is still alive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Back in December 2016, I purchased a 2006 Subaru Outback XT Limited Wagon. Love This car. From this point forward, I only want a turbo AWD wagon. It is really a shame that Subaru stopped making the Turbo option for the Outback. Hopefully I will get to keep this car for a long time. I do have some minor problems in the car, Sunroof broke, A/C Evap clogged, Lack of compression in Cylinder 2, at idle. I am planning on a Stage 1 tune at lease in a year or two from now. I just have to get some money together for that. If I need to get a newer car in the future and Subaru does not have that option back. Than my two options is to go overseas and get the European Model (Levorg) and import the car (Levorg) or the secondary option which I would prefer is to buy a Subaru Forester XT and a Subaru Outback and have a Performance shop make the switch. Luckily Subaru moved the New Outbacks over to the Forster Chassis. Personally I think all cars, should have a Turbo Option. I have found it hard driving in New York without a turbo. Everyone is just driving to fast in NY.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok possible dumb question. Downpipes. Looking at the Invidia catted DP's and the cat is closer to the top (turbo end) With most other manufacturers it's down the opposite end of the pipe.

I saw a single review I think on Rallysportdirect someone was saying the cat closer to the turbo can cause it to fail more prematurely due to heat.

I'm confused and can't for the life of me seem to find anything like this through the google machine on any site. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok so maybe a heat shield will do the trick with my previous question. Now about noise.

If I get a downpipe and then stick with stock catback will that be a little louder than normal or could I go downpipe, stock midpipe and something aftermarket axle back? Trying to keep it not super loud more sleeper mode.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The invidia catted downpipe is perfectly fine. I have one on mine. The cat sits lower than the pics represent. Nothing to worry about. I wouldn't worry about heat. If you your TMIC is fine it will disperse heat. Just let your car sit for a couple minutes after riding it hard and all will be fine.

You are better to get a EL header (invidia or perrin *cough* *wink wink*) an invidia or grimmspeed up pipe, lose the catted uppipe that exists. That cat is worse for the turbo. Downpipe and get the grimmspeed mate to the oem mid pipe. Anything larger in the mid pipe gives drone. I have avo mid and avo mufflers - it growls/drones/its loud/people hate me but they don't tailgate me

What's this sleeper hoopla....you are in an OBXT mannnggg you just going to be sleepy hahaha. OH and like always, get a tune when you start putting parts on. Otherwise bad bad things happen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
"You are better to get a EL header (invidia or perrin *cough* *wink wink*) an invidia or grimmspeed up pipe, lose the catted uppipe that exists. That cat is worse for the turbo. Downpipe and get the grimmspeed mate to the oem mid pipe. Anything larger in the mid pipe gives drone. I have avo mid and avo mufflers - it growls/drones/its loud/people hate me but they don't tailgate me"
+1

This is the most definitive, straightforward, accurate and informative statement I've seen regarding exhaust for our cars.

Your car will not be loud **at all** with a downpipe and stock cat back. If you don't do anything else, get rid of the stock uppipe if yours is chatted, since it's bad for the turbo like kingpin said

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Whats wrong with being loud?! hahahahahahaha
Best part is: You can drown out your loved ones complaints as that turbo spools and the drone increase. MORE POWWWAHHHHH, especially if they are in the back seat. Telsa drivers hate me, most drivers hate me....drone plus UEL rumble (pointless header if just to be loud) but it's all love.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts
About this Discussion
192 Replies
58 Participants
west_minist
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing