Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'06 outback xt
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here with an xt driven a set with the OE height rallitek springs and a larger rear swaybar (stock front bar)?

I'm trying to get my suspension sorted to where it feels confident inspiring at the traction limit. So far I've got 2nd gen excel g dampers with the rallitek springs. The front feels well planted but the extra roll in the rear gives that end a disconnected feeling as the wheel is straightened coming out of a corner. I was thinking of adding the rallitek rear bar, as it's the smallest of the aftermarket bars. I'm aware I'll likely get some oversteer, but wanted to see if anyone tried it in case its excessive.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,142 Posts
Ok,

I had Kings (stiffer) and an AVO (21mm) rear bar on once. I don't recommend it so much in winter low traction situations. If you care to watch...I almost lost the rear on Loveland Pass with the set up. (at about 4:30 in) Right in the beginning pulling out...she wanted to slide a bit...45 seconds in.

But in traction situations, it's a benefit...until...it's not. That hard right on Loveland Pass was a good indicator. Frankie did not plow (under-steer) and almost broke free and rotated oversteer)...so I guess that is the limit there. Oh BTW, Cooper studded snow tires on that run. They gripped pretty good in all that wet.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have the lifted springs front and rear. I put the AVO bar and brackets in the rear and while I didn't have any problems really, I just didn't like the feel. I eventually added a whiteline front bar and it's all good now. My lift is around 1.5" total, so my bars are at a different angle than yours which makes them a little less effective I think.

·
Master Caster
16,142 Posts
I have the lifted springs front and rear. I put the AVO bar and brackets in the rear and while I didn't have any problems really, I just didn't like the feel. I eventually added a whiteline front bar and it's all good now. My lift is around 1.5" total, so my bars are at a different angle than yours which makes them a little less effective I think.
Yes...with the lift, less effective to to the moment arm.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yeah. I'd guess the bars are doing barely more than stock ones at stock height. Well the front one at least. The stock rear bar is a joke for a car like this. But my springs are stiffer too so the whole thing feels really balanced and planted. Except for the oversized tires. But thats more squirm than lean if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback H6 LL Bean Edition
50 Posts
I have an '08 H6. I put the overload rear springs on first. Definitely improved cornering and less tail sag on corners. Then I added white line front and rear sway bars. Handling is improved on flat ground and no tendency toward oversteer on snow/ice. But I wouldn't recommend doing just rear SB with the rallitek overload springs. You might slide the tail out too easily in slippery conditions. But if you do both swaybars, no problem at all.

·
Master Caster
16,142 Posts
I have an '08 H6. I put the overload rear springs on first. Definitely improved cornering and less tail sag on corners. Then I added white line front and rear sway bars. Handling is improved on flat ground and no tendency toward oversteer on snow/ice. But I wouldn't recommend doing just rear SB with the rallitek overload springs. You might slide the tail out too easily in slippery conditions. But if you do both swaybars, no problem at all.
You did a match bar upgrade front and rear, so the handling doesn't change much. the stiffer rear springs help combat the OEM understeer tendency.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yup

You did a match bar upgrade front and rear, so the handling doesn't change much. the stiffer rear springs help combat the OEM understeer tendency.
Aaaaannnnnnnddddd

Yup.

Also if you do aftermarket springs, usually the rear are a higher percentage stiffer than stock so you also get that even if you do front ones too. Usually for Subaru you'll get the fronts at +25% and rears at +50% just because Subaru is so ridiculous to begin with.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got the Rallitek self leveling rear springs paired with KYB shocks in my OBXT and honestly I've noticed zero improvement. I even installed a 20mm whiteline sway bar and adjustable endlinks and that helped slightly stiffen up the rear end. But with my car loaded up with camping gear or going to the beach the rear end just bounces all over the place. I wasn't expecting a tremendous improvement but I'm just disappointed with the Rallitek self leveling springs I expected some improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
319 Posts
Kings are known for being stiffer than Ralliteks, and if you contacted them I bet you could get another 10% or whatever since you're carrying heavier loads, just an idea (Kings are about 1/2" higher IIRC)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've got the Rallitek self leveling rear springs paired with KYB shocks in my OBXT and honestly I've noticed zero improvement. I even installed a 20mm whiteline sway bar and adjustable endlinks and that helped slightly stiffen up the rear end. But with my car loaded up with camping gear or going to the beach the rear end just bounces all over the place. I wasn't expecting a tremendous improvement but I'm just disappointed with the Rallitek self leveling springs I expected some improvement

Do you have any reinforcements on the rear swaybar brackets? If not that bar isn't doing much of anything. Also most of the bushings are pretty much **** if they're over 5 or 6 years old.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have two small locks that came with the sway bar kit that mount on the sway bar outside the mounting bracket to prevent it from moving around. Like I said the rear sway bar definitely helped stiffen up my rear suspension but before I bought the sway bar driving around with my Rallitek self leveling springs wasn't much different than driving around with the stock struts blown...Of course this is my opinion I just expected the KYB struts with the self leveling springs to be an improvement over the stock struts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts