Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing? I need to get started on mine soon. Want to make sure I do it right.

I already have the rebuilt block with new oil pan/pump/cooler, etc.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Well, where on the list are you starting?

You have the oil pan, oil pump and oil cooler attached, but nothing else? Is this a new block, or rebuilt?

Heads?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, where on the list are you starting?

You have the oil pan, oil pump and oil cooler attached, but nothing else? Is this a new block, or rebuilt?

Heads?
Yes, rebuild, with new pan, pump, and cooler. From an eBay seller out of New York. High ratings, seemed like he knew what he was doing.

Starting with a running driving XT with a slight knock. I bought it knowing what was up. Previous owner had turbo failure, new turbo installed, but little/no oil pressure. Parked it. I bought it, pulled the banjo filter, flushed oil a couple times, oil light went away. I've put 10k miles on it. It knocks a little though. Would rather not chance it through the winter.

Heads will be pulled from the old block and disassembled and checked out. Hopefully they're still good.

Obviously new timing belt/WP will be used. Not a lot of miles on the current one but seems silly to spend all that money on the rebuild and reuse something like that.

Catless UP will go on as well. Pretty much new off a 2017 STI. Also have a Grimmspeed crossover pipe.

Adding an aux trans cooler as well.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Pieces and parts?

How much are you bringing over from your existing engine? Intake and the like? Hoses?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Everything I suppose. The new shortblock doesn't come with that kind of stuff.
Okay, just wanted to make sure.

So, even though I pulled everything over from a working engine on mine, I've had to replace almost everything small. That hose in the picture above is the PCV crossover pipe. It had crushed and deformed after I put everything back together and caused big air leaks for me. Took quite a while to track down.

Anything that is rubber or plastic is probably suspect in some way. Heater hoses, vacuum hoses, BOV recirc hose, etc. Most of these might not survive the transplant. All the black plastic split loom that covers the wiring harness was crumbling apart and had to be replaced.

If you haven't, I'd suggest getting a full engine rebuild gasket kit. Not cheap, but you'll use most of it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, obviously some degree of common sense plays a role there. I already replaced the PCV and related hoses, so that's one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was the pan on it already? What kind of oil pickup was used? Chuck that OEM one I’m the garbage and get a Killer Bee. I know wont be using an OEM one when the time comes.
Yes it's all assembled and sealed up... Not sure on the pickup.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,568 Posts
The best bang-for-the-buck is to grab a FelPro head gasket kit. This will give you all the gaskets from the heads up. You shouldn't need to use all of them, but it's nice to have.

New plugs, fluids... nothing out of the ordinary.

Is the replacement turbo a good, IHI unit? I'd be leery of an eBay special...

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best bang-for-the-buck is to grab a FelPro head gasket kit. This will give you all the gaskets from the heads up. You shouldn't need to use all of them, but it's nice to have.

New plugs, fluids... nothing out of the ordinary.

Is the replacement turbo a good, IHI unit? I'd be leery of an eBay special...
Yes it was a new OEM one. Previous owners weren't car people in the least bit. I'm guessing they had a dealership do it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about things like oil control valves and TGV things. I've gotten a TGV code twice on cold starts lately.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What about things like oil control valves and TGV things. I've gotten a TGV code twice on cold starts lately.
If you're going to do it right, then I'd suggest brand new OCVs. It's a chunk of change, but you know they're good.

For the TGVs, I bought a set of OEM deletes that came off of a model that didn't have them at all. They fit perfectly. Otherwise I'd suggest getting new ones or good used ones. They are generally useless on the car, can cause problems as you've seen and I'd remove them if you have the means.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like about $93 for an oem OCV...two required right?

And which car did your non-TGV come from? JDM I assume?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Looks like about $93 for an oem OCV...two required right?
Correct, 2.

And which car did your non-TGV come from? JDM I assume?
You know, I'm not 100% sure. I bought them nearly 3 years ago I think. I wanna say it was off an Impreza.

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
319 Posts
^ my deletes were originally Impreza topfeeds.

For our plastic manifolds, MAKE SURE you don't get TGVs/TGV deletes which have a valley for an o-ring on the top flange, they need to have a flat flange to seal against our plastic manifold's o-rings (TGVs with o-rings are for metal intake manifolds). Be warned, you'll have to drill (spin) out the two inner metal intake manifold bolt sleeves and use wide washers with the inner bolts, the plastic is slightly offset from the earlier metal manifold placements and the washers distribute the clamping force.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I started tearing into the car tonight. All I can say is holy crap. It takes me about 15 minutes to get the intake manifold off a non-turbo car. This thing took me a good couple hours. There's so much crap in there. Way more vac lines and brackets and such.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts