Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
NicV - 2008 ADM Subaru Legacy 2.5i 4EAT - Tuning

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: v2-v0maf
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 21:01:07 +1000
To: XRT

No problems. I hope it would be a good reflection of the job you’ve done!

“My great appreciation goes to Edward for the job hi’s done tuning ECU for my car. My story began few month ago when I sold my beloved 3GEN 2.5i Liberty and upgraded to 4GEN 2.5i. What was supposed to be an upgrade, left me with a bitter disappointment of 4GEN performance compare to 3GEN. Car was sluggish on response, slow to accelerate and had a noticeable lag in acceleration during gear shift. After few days searching through internet forums I came across posts describing similar situations and the way to fix the problem was custom ECU re-flash. That’s how I came across with ECU tuning service provided by XRT. I made final attempt to rectify issue at Subaru dealer service, they had injectors serviced, did upper engine clean, checked spark plugs, reset TCU and told me that as far as they concerned car is operating within manufacturer specification (i.e. it’s still sucked to drive it). I had contacted Edward, described him my situation and got an answer I hoped for – problem can be addressed by custom ECU tuning. I got a list of things I needed to begin the tune from Edward. When I was ready to start, he connected to my laptop remotely and configured it, so it was easy as a breeze. V0 ROM he prepared for me brought back that excitement I had driving my beloved 3GEN. My 4GEN Liberty became more aggressive, it wanted to jump when I pushed accelerator, lag of power and acceleration disappeared. It was fun do drive this car again. V0 was a bit rough on AT, so occasionally I felt knocks during gear shift, but v1 ROM has addressed this and made AT shifting nice and smooth. The real joy was brought by v2. First notable thing was that gear shift now occurs at lower RPM compare to stock ROM with better power delivery. Shifts with stock ROM occurred above 2500RPM for 1st and 2nd and above 3000RPM for 3rd and 4th. With v2 shifts for 1st and 2nd occur around 2000RPM and 3rd and 4th around 2500RPM. I felt improved performance in 3rd and 4th gears were normally all driving occurs. Even when accelerating uphill, AT rarely downshifted from 4th to 3rd. Most of the time it was just happily sitting in 4th adding up some RPMs when I pushed it. Start from traffic lights became such fun! V2 was giving me such joy of looking at the faces of some unsuspecting victims trying to race me from the traffic lights. :) Driving for about two days I have noticed that car became more fuel efficient as well. On a normal week I was getting about 11.6L/100km city driving. After few days with v2 am getting 9.6L/100km in the city. I suspect it might get up a bit, but nevertheless it’s quite impressive reduction. Overall, great job once again. Thanks, Edward!”

Cheers,

Nick.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #122

Not sure what you did with V3 however, the car feels stronger in lower RPM, so much so that I keep looking for 7th gear cause I'm not used to the car pulling so well in the higher gears from low RPM. I drive through a mountain pass that consists of corners with advisory speeds of between 15kph and 55kph to get to the flat where I do the log runs. When driving this pass the car feels like it is now leaping out of corners and I am able to higher gears through the corners. Fabulous!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went out and pulled the cover and looked. I'm pretty sure it didn't have any of those names on it. it's a grey box with a white sticker in the center and reads as follows:

*DB8 2U*

2U

22611AG74B

JA18000 D8B 1515

automotive electronic control system inc
assembled in usa

Does that tell you anything?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,691 Posts
@west_minist

I was talking to a Audi guy the other day that said he sent his ECU out to a shop in the US mail to get 4 tunes put into it and it is controlled by the cruise control

one of them is a "valet mode" which he also turns on when he gives this car a 1.8 turbo to his 19 year old daughter.

= a "no fun" tune = some way to ensure that it will not be going full boost into the woods.

do you have such a tune to let similar cars go to a valet or a child ensuring "no fun" just wondering?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWwjzHGsJY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replying on an old thread. Is it still up? I was wondering if 2011 Outback 2.5i which I just got, could be tuned and benefit from this? The car feels underpowered and sluggish in low to mid. Its even sluggish than, surprise, my 2008 RAV4. It is the CVT one and not manual though.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
ChrisoffE - 2005 EDM Subaru Legacy Spec B 3.0R 6MT

Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 4:33 PM
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: v3

And you were right, pulls harder every were in the rev band, but most noticeable is the high end that wasn't there before. It's starting to pull harder after 6000rpm lol.
The low end is also a lot better. Didn't have any before and now I don't have to drop a gear to overtake and such.
And it also seems like I have gotten a different sound 3000rpm and down almost like a mix between EJ and VQ like XD.

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 10:19 AM
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Review needed

Review tuning so far (V3):

Decided to get a tune from XRT due to the overwhelmingly positive responses that i have read on forums and such.
And i couldn't agree more, the knowledge and patience that Ed have is astonishing, I love that i can ask any remotely tuning related question no matter what time on the day and get the answer I'm looking for within minutes.
Tuning started slow due to having problems logging, but it got solved by letting Ed configure RomRaider over teamviewer.
Even at V0 The car felt better than stock due to removal of throttle lag, at V1 Ed discovered that both my AFR sensors didn't work fully, my AVCS solenoids were malfunctioning and that my EGR valve were stuck open, all this without having a check engine light!
V2 was made so i could run it safe until i could fix the broken stuff.
V3 was a big one, it made everything better. got low and top end that was non existent stock and a beefier mid range.
I wanted to stay stock and "just" get a tune but here I am browsing go faster stuff while writing this.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts