Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not. So bare with me on this. I have a XV 2014 that is written off and I also have a 2003 liberty outback wagon. My question is:
Is it possible or even a good idea to swap engines? The engine in the XV is basically brand new ( 35000 kms on the clock ) and the engine is in great condition. Now the liberty has ( 400,000 kms on the clock ) it is a great car but has a few issues. It’s a bit laggy and the check engine light comes on every now and then. It needs a bit of work and I am wondering if I can save myself some money. Are they basically the same motor? Is it possible to put the xv engine into the liberty or is it just a stupid idea? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an Outback of the same series with similar mileage. I've never had to do an engine change so have no first-hand experience.

From memory - the XV motor is a 2.0L rated at 110KW, the Outback motor is either a 2.5L rated at ~123KW or a more powerful 6-cylinder 3.0L. A 2.5L at that mileage would probably be down to 110KW anyway.

I'm guessing that the XV would also be using an EJ series engine and that the 2.0L and 2.5L motors would be the same physical size, with the different capacities achieved by different boring.

My understanding is that the usual challenge with swapping motors between different Subaru models and model years is the electronics, and there will be big differences between 2003 electronics and 2014 electronics. It's probably not worth trying, but I'd talk to wreckers who do engine replacements because they'd know what engines they could fit without issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem you're reporting with your current engine is a faulty oxygen sensor, which is a simple fix. My engine developed the same issues somewhere over 300,000km. Find a mechanic who will read the fault codes from the car's computer or learn how to read them yourself, or just replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response mate. I appreciate your help. After much research, I have decided it is a bad idea. As you mentioned electronics is a major issue. I have a diagnostic tool coming on Wednesday and I will be able to find the issue and resolve it. Thank you again

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're looking for technical advice on this site that isn't specific to Australian owners (e.g. engine error codes) the Gen 2 forum is the place to ask. (Our model is known as Gen 3 here but in North America they call it Gen 2.) There are folks there who know our model really well but they don't check this local forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts