Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Heyo!

Since I can't post on homepage, I'll post here. I just saw that Subaru is planning to release their first ever hybrid which will be the XV Crosstrek. Here is a link. It's expected to debut at the NY Auto Show.

Subaru XV Crosstrek hybrid to debut at New York auto show - Autoweek
I hope they keep their AWD system! Toyota's 4WD-i in their hybrids is quite pitiful.

The only thing I don't like about the XV is the limited amount of power. It's a very neat vehicle otherwise. It'd be interesting if the gas + electic can kick in at the same time to aid acceleration. I believe Toyota's hybrid vehicles can do this (though I might be mistaken).

In general, not for me anyway since I don't really care about gas mileage and like a somewhat larger vehicle (hence the H6 Outback), but I'm sure it'll sell well.

+1 on the Avatar picture by the way!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Last few weeks I've seen several XV's around our area. Sharp looking car. I do think they are just a tad short on grunt for the folks who might really use them as an alternative to the small SUV. But I must say its a good looking car.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Last few weeks I've seen several XV's around our area. Sharp looking car. I do think they are just a tad short on grunt for the folks who might really use them as an alternative to the small SUV. But I must say its a good looking car.
Agreed 100%. Someone just got a blue one at one of the schools I work at and I walked around it in the parking lot. Very nice looking vehicle. Should do well off road given the clearance and the approach/departure angles look decent as well.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Yeah, me three. They look exactly like what I want for when I eventually replace my XT. But man oh man would I miss that turbo take-off.:(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Got the Insider Email :

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
The all-new 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid will debut at the New York International Auto Show on March 28. As a Subaru Insider, you can get the scoop on this exciting hybrid vehicle before its unveiling at the show! The 2014 Subaru Forester and the rest of the award-winning Subaru lineup will also be on display.

Did You Know?
The 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is the most fuel efficient AWD hybrid crossover in America.*

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Will this have a gas engine, or the Diesel/Hybrid setup that Subaru was talking about at the Geneva Auto Show? A diesel setup would be very nice indeed. I'm hoping for that, but not holding my breath.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Will this have a gas engine, or the Diesel/Hybrid setup that Subaru was talking about at the Geneva Auto Show? A diesel setup would be very nice indeed. I'm hoping for that, but not holding my breath.
Subaru has said a few times no diesel in the US. Maybe one day, but not for a while yet. A 2.0 turbo however ifs defiantly possible. I dare we would see a turbo before a diesel. Then... Maybe... A turbo DIESEL!!!!

If the happens, I'll buy a power ball ticket because the world would be sure to end soon after.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I wonder how long until they offer the Hybrid across the board. With the way these drivetrains plug and play into each other, it wouldn't take much. I'd definately consider one when the OB comes due for replacement, a plug in hybrid would be even better, as it sees alot of city driving.

and +20 to the need more power in the XV. I debated getting one instead of a used Forester, but along with the low HP, there is no Sunroof (or any options) with a MT.

Now if only they'd offer a MT Hybrid then all would be good :D

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
76 Posts
I honestly don't get the point. I was stoked for this car, but my inner environmentalist wouldn't be happy. 28/34/31 vs 25/33/28! I want to severely limit my fossil fuel usage but it's more than mpg that goes into that calculation.

First, using a car until it isn't economically feasible makes the most sense so the waste of creation is limited. I have a car that runs fine. Second, stomaching the hybrid battery creation environmental impacts is easier when you think about the lack of carbon you are directly responsible for spitting into the atmosphere. But if you are doing both? What is the savings?

I'm disappointed. I hope they improve this significantly over the coming years.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I honestly don't get the point. I was stoked for this car, but my inner environmentalist wouldn't be happy. 28/34/31 vs 25/33/28! I want to severely limit my fossil fuel usage but it's more than mpg that goes into that calculation.

First, using a car until it isn't economically feasible makes the most sense so the waste of creation is limited. I have a car that runs fine. Second, stomaching the hybrid battery creation environmental impacts is easier when you think about the lack of carbon you are directly responsible for spitting into the atmosphere. But if you are doing both? What is the savings?

I'm disappointed. I hope they improve this significantly over the coming years.
Hey Normal I have a couple of neighbors with south facing roof lines running between 8KW to 12KW solar systems and they own at least one 100% electric ride. Two of them have the Leaf and one has a new Tesla S. Two other neighbors have the original Tesla Elise roadsters but they don't have solar panels.

The thing that could tank the solar and electric car business is the US oil and natural gas production which is expected to become the largest producer of both in just the next few years. The US is slated to be the largest oil and natural gas producer in the world in the next 15yrs or so.

If this happens the cost of fuel here in the States won't really go down but it also won't really go up much either. Both oil and natural gas are Global market commodities so the Global demand will keep prices pretty much where we see them today with maybe slight ups and downs. But the impact this has on consumer behavior on vehicle purchasing and home utility costs could be a negative thing to the solar and electric car business.

Having said that a 3series type Tesla with a 150-200mile range would easily replace one of our cars.

By the way the average home solar system in CA is 4kw

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
Hybrids are a no go for me. Now if SOA would put the Diesel in it, then I would be jumping for joy. 40mpg, AWD, and 400LBS less.

Now the only think that might convince me get a hybrid is if it was OEM offered to double as a generator. Then I could tow my camper to remote places and not have to worry about having enough battery power.
Yes I know there is redneck hacks for the Prius and Escape but don't want to do that to a 30k+ car.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT
76 Posts
Hey Normal I have a couple of neighbors with south facing roof lines running between 8KW to 12KW solar systems and they own at least one 100% electric ride. Two of them have the Leaf and one has a new Tesla S. Two other neighbors have the original Tesla Elise roadsters but they don't have solar panels.

The thing that could tank the solar and electric car business is the US oil and natural gas production which is expected to become the largest producer of both in just the next few years. The US is slated to be the largest oil and natural gas producer in the world in the next 15yrs or so.

If this happens the cost of fuel here in the States won't really go down but it also won't really go up much either. Both oil and natural gas are Global market commodities so the Global demand will keep prices pretty much where we see them today with maybe slight ups and downs. But the impact this has on consumer behavior on vehicle purchasing and home utility costs could be a negative thing to the solar and electric car business.

Having said that a 3series type Tesla with a 150-200mile range would easily replace one of our cars.

ok? That is awesome you know so many people that use solar and have electric vehicles! But what does that have to do with the fact that throwing a few batteries in the XV hasn't changed the mpg significantly? Are you saying the cheap cost of gas won't push car manufacturers to improve fuel efficiency? I think the public is very, very slowly pushing them away from that line of thinking.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
I agree with you normalabby.

I was all pumped up for 40+ mpg AWD car from Subaru. I really don't get the hype for 2-3 extra mpg. Add to that a battery that will likely be disposed of improperly, inherently higher long term maintenence costs, I just don't see this being a big hit. A few people will buy it just to say "I have a hybrid". Hopefully this is just a mild proof of concept and they'll turn out some really good hybrids in the coming years.

I don't plan on getting a new one for at least 5-7 yrs, so hopefully they'll have made some actual progess by then. Personally, I'm not fueled by a desire for less emissions, but moreso to lessen my longterm cost for fuel. So until the difference in MPG is enough to offset the higher price tag over a 5 year span, I won't be getting a hybrid.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6r Limited - Deep Indigo Pearl
23 Posts

I know this isn't Subaru related, but how can the US be the biggest producer of oil when we hit peak in the 70's and we're hitting peak Globally? I mean, I don't mean to be a party pooper, but we really need to stop thinking of oil as our future.

Nevermind, I found the source, IEA.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,712 Posts
I have the perfect situation for an electric vehicle - an 11 mile commute. Might consider it if I ever wear out or total my WRX. But, in addition to the issue of 'creation' impact mentioned above, I am opposed to the big subsidies of that (and other) 'green' tech. And what happens if I get a call at work to go to the emergency room to tend to my wife/kid and the battery won't make it? I DID just recently pass my quite old gas mower down to a son-in-law and bought a lithium-ion lawnmower. That technology seems to be well-settled for that purpose...maintaining a small suburban lawn. But the main issue with electric cars, is range. Even the most promising battery technology in the research labs has 15 times less energy density than fossil fuels. The energy density is enormous in oil compared to other portable power sources. Electric cars today barely go farther than when Edison/Ford built one. And oil or something similar will be with us for an extremely long time. Aircraft, military vehicles will be dependent on it, many developing nations as well. And the vast majority of batteries now are recharged with fossil fuels (though, of course, scale efficiencies make using those fuels cleaner if done in a large generating facility than in thousands of mobile powerplants.)

stop subsidizing any of them (including oil) and let the market decide.

oh, Subaru uh, using ni-cd batteries nowadays seems so 90s - eeewwwww! lol!

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
11miles I would live that short of a commute. I would forgo the car entirely and ride a bicycle or a motorcycle.

Both are cheaper and greener.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,712 Posts
motorcycles are not all that green, particularly older ones.

I've contemplated taking my recumbent bike to work - but, other than Austin, Texas is not terribly bike friendly. Plus, there's the same issues of; combining trips home with stops for shopping, emergency trips for various reasons, weather, etc. At least I live close to where I work. many people have chosen to live 30-40 minutes away. I never understood that - it's like unpaid work time.

If I were single and significantly younger than 58 - it would be easier to bike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts