Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2013 OB last week, which replaced my 2005 OBXT. I would like to install (2) older model roof rack mounted Subaru/Yakama bike racks on the car and have come up with the following options:
1. Purchase (2) sets of Subaru/Yakama Mighty Mounts from my Subaru Dealer at $25.00 per set.
2. Purchase (2) sets of Yakama Universal Mighty Mounts form my local bike shop (LBS) for $40.00 per set.
3. Purchase Yakama Landing Pads (LB12) and Control Towers from my LBS for around $250.00 and reuse my 48” long round Yakama Bars and bike rack mounts.

Questions:
A) Are the Subaru/Yakama Mighty Mounts molded to fit the profile of Subaru’s OEM cross bars or are they a “Universal Fit” like the Yakama Mighty Mounts?
B) The Yakama Round Bar setup is certainly stiffer than Subaru’s OEM X-bars; however which setup generates more wind noise?
C) Can the tailgate be opened all the way with the bike racks on the car?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If they're the same ones I got to mount my (Yakima made, Subaru branded) Subaru tray bike carrier, yes they are molded to fit the rails (including a cutout for the rubber nubs on the bottom of the 2010-2012 rails).

I can take pictures when I get home from work (and get the part number I have).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for taking the time to take and upload the pictures of your bike rack clamps. I ordered (2) boxes from my local Subaru Dealer at $20.00 per box, which is much cheaper than Yakama's Control Tower and Landing Pad(s) #12 setup for around $230.00 at Amazon.com.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yakima is aware of the need for a new landing pad that fits the 2013 Outback so Yakima bars can be used. They say they are designing a landing pad now. The design will likely be for all 3 mount points on each side (they know there are people who want to use the wider spread between the bars for safety). They predict it will not be available until JAN, 2013. They suggest calling back periodically for updates.

The best way to influence Yakima to accelerate the production of this landing pad is to CALL THEM. Tell them you want it ASAP! Yakima customer support is: (888) 925-4621

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
AMC3
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing