Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Yakima MegaWarrior cargo basket and installed it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the fit. With the rear crossbars in the forward position, it fits as seen in the photos - nice an centered on the mounts. With the crossbar in the rear position, it was very uncentered. The basket extends from pretty much the back of the sunroof all the way to the antenna, and it covers the width of the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I may have the model names mixed up but I think you're talking about the Loadwarrior. The Megawarrior has the 18" extension added to the Loadwarrior. The Loadwarrior has 11 crossmembers and the Megawarrior has 15. The extended basket cannot be mounted with the rear crossbar in the rearmost position as the mounts don't line up. I speak with authority as I made that mistake already.;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have the model names mixed up but I think you're talking about the Loadwarrior. The Megawarrior has the 18" extension added to the Loadwarrior. The Loadwarrior has 11 crossmembers and the Megawarrior has 15. The extended basket cannot be mounted with the rear crossbar in the rearmost position as the mounts don't line up. I speak with authority as I made that mistake already.;)
Nope - LoadWarrior and MegaWarrior are two separate baskets - but they do both have extensions that you can add to them (LoadWarrior extension adds 18" to the LoadWarrior, MegaWarrior extension adds 22" to the MegaWarrior)

LoadWarrior is 44"x39"x6.5”
MegaWarrior is 52"x48"x6.5"

The one I have is the MegaWarrior with no extension. It's both wider and longer than the LoadWarrior basket.

Yakima MegaWarrior at REI.com

Here's the LoadWarrior for comparison:
Yakima LoadWarrior at REI.com

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Ahhh. Good info. Now it makes sense when they list the Mega w/extension as not compatable on the OB. It also appears that neither will work with the rearmost crossbar position. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks to the OP for helping me make the right rack decision. Megawarrior fits perfect on a Gen 4. I bought mine to haul real estate signs among other things. They wouldn't have fit in a Loadwarrior.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Ahhh. Good info. Now it makes sense when they list the Mega w/extension as not compatable on the OB. It also appears that neither will work with the rearmost crossbar position. Thanks.
So neither the LoadWarrior or MegaWarrior with extension will work on a Gen4 OB?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
So neither the LoadWarrior or MegaWarrior with extension will work on a Gen4 OB?
I have the LoadWarrior w/extension and it fits perfectly. It easily clears the rear hatch. It does "cover" half of the moonroof and is noisy/turbulent when open. It does not line up to attach with the rear bar in the rearward position. Someone around here has reported using the Meg w/extension without issue but I can't find it. I remember seeing pictures. The websit lists the Mega/ext as not compatible. Rack and Load says the rear hatch will hit when open.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
^ Cool, thanks. Does the rack still look centered (front to back) with the extension?

It appears the only difference between the Load and Mega is that the Mega is wider and longer, correct?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Someone on here has a Load Warrior and is using landing pads with the crossbars running through the basket for a lower profile. Not that this looks bad at all but I believe the LW fits inside the the space between the factory rails mounts running front to back. I'm still trying to decide what I'd like to do basket wise, but this is a great post for reference.

Side note, has anyone got in contact with Yakima recently to see if they've put the revised Landing Pads for the 13-14 to market yet? Last I knew the estimate was January of this year but I haven't heard anything so far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
With the cross rails running through the basket the basket would become much less functional. And obviously the Mega doesn't fit between the factory rails.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm confused about the landing pads by Yakima....

What is the benefit??

Do they mount directly to the factory racks and allow you to use Yak products instead of mounting onto Subaru Crossbars??

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
^ Cool, thanks. Does the rack still look centered (front to back) with the extension?

It appears the only difference between the Load and Mega is that the Mega is wider and longer, correct?
To me the LW looks much better with the extension. Without the extension it looks small/odd. The Mega is bigger both ways. It "hangs" out over the side rails a lot more than the LW. It's a bit too large for my taste and needs.

If you already have the cargo net for a LW and then get the extension try it first before buying the larger one designed for the ext. It fits well for loads that aren't too tall.

323.JPG

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think in this particular configuration Matt, the box would sit in the same location as if using the factory bars. People use the Yakima crossbars for their extra load rating and the ability to just put a ton of stuff on their roof. I think Unsub is carrying a bike rack on each side of the Yakima box rather than on top. It just gives you the option to go out instead of up and again has higher load rating than the factory bars.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The LoadWarrior is narrow enough to fit between the roof rack rails, correct? Is there a way to mount the basket lower, possibly using different mounting hardware or putting the OEM crossbars through the basket?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm confused about the landing pads by Yakima....

What is the benefit??

Do they mount directly to the factory racks and allow you to use Yak products instead of mounting onto Subaru Crossbars??
Landing pad feet replace the factory cross bars by snapping into the holes where the cross bars sit - factory cross bars are removed leaving the factory rails running down each side of the roof - the landing pads lock into the spot where the cross rails were.

The advantage is if your like me and have hundreds of dollars in Yakima gear you simply but yakima bars on your car using the landing pads and all your gear fits. Also you can use the bar width you need vs just the span across the middle of the roof line. Meaning you could put 66inch long bars held up by the landing pads so you can car top 5 bikes.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
The LoadWarrior is narrow enough to fit between the roof rack rails, correct? Is there a way to mount the basket lower, possibly using different mounting hardware or putting the OEM crossbars through the basket?
Close but no cigar. The basket is about 38 1/2". Roof rails are <38".

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think in this particular configuration Matt, the box would sit in the same location as if using the factory bars. People use the Yakima crossbars for their extra load rating and the ability to just put a ton of stuff on their roof. I think Unsub is carrying a bike rack on each side of the Yakima box rather than on top. It just gives you the option to go out instead of up and again has higher load rating than the factory bars.
Yep, running the bars through is perfect for my needs. The weight capacity and stability is infinitely better than the stock setup. Everything sits lower, and my full-sized spare sits comfortably and perfectly between the crossbars. I can load on two bikes with easy access and get tons of camping gear under the net with the tire. Really happy with it coming up on 2 years.

And I can pop the whole thing off with a buddies' help in less than a couple minutes. I'll be doing a big mountain road trip to Portland in May and will pull it all off and throw on my Skybox16.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts