Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tyger basket now, but realizing how much of a pain it will be to pull that thing off to put kayak mounts on. So if I want a basket and kayak transport, the Off Grid basket seems to be my only option.

The question now... they have 2 sizes and extensions for both. However, Yakima does not recommend the extension with the large basket. I imagine it would fit, but it had to do with weight distribution and testing with factory crossbars.

Medium basket with extension: 40x62”
Large basket: 49x53”

My question is which size is likely more versatile? I’m guessing the medium is going to be the better option. I don’t know why cross bars on a basket aren’t a more common thing.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
566 Posts
I’ll save you a heck of a LOT of time, grief and sifting through misinformation on this rack.

Answer is: Get the medium w/the extension on OEM crossbars in position 1 & 3 for a 39” spread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Outback
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll save you a heck of a LOT of time, grief and sifting through misinformation on this rack.

Answer is: Get the medium w/the extension on OEM crossbars in position 1 & 3 for a 39” spread.
I was hoping I didn’t have to use the 3rd position since it sits lower. Oh well.

My basket came in yesterday.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
566 Posts
I was hoping I didn’t have to use the 3rd position since it sits lower. Oh well.

My basket came in yesterday.
You don't "have" to it only sits about 1.5" lower I am leaving for now if bugs me I'll just swap back to the 1&2 position.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't "have" to it only sits about 1.5" lower I am leaving for now if bugs me I'll just swap back to the 1&2 position.
It was noticeable on my last basket which was considerable bigger in all dimensions.

Hard to gauge from your picture

·
Registered
23 Posts
With the extension the large offgrid will fit my 2018 Limited OEM rack but it will definitely not fit an aftermarket Thule or Yakima setup with the large and extension. The medium with the extension is probably a better fit for most. These racks sure are beasts and are HEAVY. I wish they made something out of aluminum.

I bought a large Offgrid but ended up returning it--I just realized that I'm not a roof basket guy based on what I haul.

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abrth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
162 Posts
See I have the skinny basket so I can use my bike racks or roof box or the roof tent. Otherwise I would have gone wider.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See I have the skinny basket so I can use my bike racks or roof box or the roof tent. Otherwise I would have gone wider.
The Offgrid has crossbars for bike, kayak, etc mounts. Yakima awning works as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you considered the ROLA Atlas? That’s what I chose as it has removable integrated cross bars and it’s aluminum, so you don’t ever have to worry about it rusting. I think the styling blends nicely with the outback as well. I’m happy to snap a few more photos if you’re interested.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you considered the ROLA Atlas? That’s what I chose as it has removable integrated cross bars and it’s aluminum, so you don’t ever have to worry about it rusting. I think the styling blends nicely with the outback as well. I’m happy to snap a few more photos if you’re interested. View attachment 474440
I did consider that one. I like it.

I ended up getting the Offgrid for 20% off and getting a $100 gift card for the extension. Also got Yakima JayLow kayak carriers discounted. I felt safer going with a known brand with parts made to fit together since I’ll be hauling kayaks.

·
Registered
2019 Outback
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, but sadly it won't fit alongside the tent and they recommend not putting the tent on a basket.
I think rooftop tents are silly and too expensive. why I got a basket and this.

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abrth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
162 Posts
I think rooftop tents are silly and too expensive. why I got a basket and this.

View attachment 474897
They are pricey, but they are so much more comfy than sleeping on the ground. And setup is a snap. So for some adventures they are a great tool. For others, eh. Plus it leaves me space free in the back for MOAR and leaves the hitch free for my bike rack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts