Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyone with a Gen 4 outback have a Yakima Railgrab system on top of your car?

I'm curious, how do I get the front and rear bars to be further apart? Seems like the with the spread maximized between the openings on the factory side rails, I can just get 21" between the front and rear bar... Am I not seeing something properly?

Cheers...

·
Registered
351 Posts
So anyone with a Gen 4 outback have a Yakima Railgrab system on top of your car?

I'm curious, how do I get the front and rear bars to be further apart? Seems like the with the spread maximized between the openings on the factory side rails, I can just get 21" between the front and rear bar... Am I not seeing something properly?

Cheers...
I am pretty sure you need the landing pad or similar redesign to be done (re-done) to get more spread with a 2013.

Our rail grabs from minivan won't do much of a job in the narrow open space. I'm using the roof rack as is, have universal mounts for a bike carrier but prefer hitch for bikes where I got the ultimate (1 Up).

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, just got off the phone with them... that setup you mentioned is totally the right way to go, and he said they prob wouldn't have anything til after the end of the year. FACK.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I use my old rail grabs all the time. I just clamp them to the factory cross bars in the stowed position. The spread is tight but the newer 13 model has a little better bar spread I think.

The bar spread is not much of an issue given I car top a 130lb 12ft racing boat up there on 66inch bars and it works just fine even in some nasty windy conditions on high speed highway.

Have used them lots over the past couple of years with all sorts of different gear 16ft canoe - roof box - bikes etc etc zero issues. Just make sure the stock bars are stowed and locked in place properly.

When I don't need the width we run all our stuff on the stock cross bars. The only time I run the railgrabs is to use my old yakima rack gear or the wider bars. I have a set of 54 inch bars and 66 inch bars pending what we need thats what I throw on. Takes about 5 minutes to toss the rail grabs on and I leave them off when not being used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That other setup with the control towers and the landing pad just looks sooooo much better though, so much more sturdy and easy to work with... I think I'm just gonna wait for them to make new Landing Pads for the 2013 Outbacks...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Consider what you want to carry. The factory rails do an OK job for a roof box, a bike.

If it's about bikes I think anything but a premium hitch rack stinks but I confess I'm carrying bikes 3 - 5 times a week.

I do carry wide bars in some scenarios but it's not preferred for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yakima Landing Pad for 2013 Outback

Yakima is aware of the need for a new landing pad that fits the 2013 Outback. They say they are designing a landing pad now. The design will likely be for all 3 mount points on each side (they know there are people who want to use the wider spread between the bars for safety). They predict it will not be available until JAN, 2013. They suggest calling back periodically for updates.

The best way to influence Yakima to accelerate the production of this landing pad is to CALL THEM. Tell them you want it ASAP! Yakima customer support is: (888) 925-4621

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spoke with Yakima a week or so ago, they are now saying it will be more like August or September for a landing pad for the 2013 Outback. My suggestion is to use the number above and for everyone to schedule a time to call at least once a week, it's only thru our expressed urgency that this will move up the priority ladder. They have acknowledged that Subaru drivers are one of their top 3 consumers for their products. That should way in pretty heavily with lots of calls too. PLEASE HELP - I NEED THEM NOW !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Scout.
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing