Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive got the 2004 Yakima Space Booster for my 01 Forester which I use with Yakima cross bars. Space Booster is longer than the Pro 14 so it holds 200cm skis, kayak paddles, fishing rods. Just curious why you wouldnt go with a longer box for more flexibility and more streamlined appearance? Yakima makes very reliable products so I expect youll be happy with whatever you buy.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
I have the Rocket Box Pro 11 and love it. Since the 11 and 14 have the same clearance requirements the 14 will clear the rear hatch without a problem.

It depends on what you're looking to use the box for: I need the length of the 11 for skis; but if you're just looking for extra space for road trips or camping obviously the 14 is a better choice for that purpose.

Overall the quality of the Rocket Box is good. The keys and locks are sturdy and I've had no issues. Dual opening from either side is a nice feature too. I didn't want to pay the high price tag for other boxes that have a fancy finish or more space than I need - the Rocket Box 11 was a bargain.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6MT w/AWP
59 Posts
I need the length of the 11 for skis
Can you post some pics to get an idea of what this looks like on your OB? One from the side and one head-on, to see the amount of rack that it takes up? Thanks ahead of time :29:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
^ I just took it off for the season two weeks ago, but here are some pictures I took after first installing it that give you a good idea. I actually adjusted it after taking these pictures, moving the rear roof rail all the way back so the box was pushed further towards the rear (but still cleared the lift gate without touching). I also had it left/right centered on the roof; if you pushed it to one side you would have a fair amount of space still.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6MT w/AWP
59 Posts
I also had it left/right centered on the roof; if you pushed it to one side you would have a fair amount of space still.
Thanks! So, you're using the stock/Subie roof rails? No problems there?

EDIT: Cross bars, not rails...

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Yakima stuff is rarely discounted or on sale, but REI does have occasional "20% off any single item in the store" sales, which DO include Yakima. They usually have one of these about now.

EDIT - I just checked my dividend notice that arrived a couple of weeks back. The next sale is March 22 to April 7, which is right now.... talk about great timing!

Even if you aren't a member yet, the savings would pay for your $20 join up fee, plus enough leftover for lunch.

http://www.rei.com/membership.html

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thanks! So, you're using the stock/Subie roof rails? No problems there?

EDIT: Cross bars, not rails...
Correct, I use the OEM cross bars with no issues. The Yakima grabs them firmly and there is no movement. Even the noise and MPG hit wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't recommend keeping it on the roof unless you're using it.

I'm sort of an Amazon.com addict, but they have great prices on nearly everything. REI had the Rocketbox Pro 11 for $358+tax, while on Amazon it was/is $323.10 (free shipping with Amazon Prime, and no tax for NJ at least) and there was a special around Christmas for all cargo boxes so I got it for $284 shipped.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since Ive bought the 2013 last week Ive been concerned my 10 yr old Yakima cargo box wouldnt be compatible with the new factory cross bars. I tried it out yesterday. Box stays on tight, doesnt move in any direction. The attachment system looks awkward on the eliptical cross bars since the attachment system is built for round bars but it looks like I should have no issues.

I did call the Yak company too. They couldnt give me any answers but did say that Subaru pulled a fast one on them by designing a factory rack with out collaborating with Yakima. Historically these two companies have collaborative ties. Now Yakima is still in the difficult task of engineering a new tower for this new OB rack. Probably going to be an expensive product.

This is kind of disappointing since Ive always favored 60 inch cross bars. I just love all the extra stuff that can fit on extra long cross bars. Now i am cramped for space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts