Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT - Pearl White
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First off, I'm sorry. This is such a long opening post. But having acknowledged it, I'm gonna push forward anyway.

I'm looking to put something on my roof to increase storage capacity. While all the youtube videos and promo photos of rooftop tents were one of the things that convinced me to get an OB, I'm now leaning towards the idea that it seems sketchy at best based on OEM roof rack dynamic weight limit of 150 lbs. Prinsu or SpiderNoDrill are appealing, but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to either.

So RTT aside, I'm looking for something to store extra gear for vacations, camping, light offroading (soft roading/overlanding???), and driving up on the beach. Gear includes, but is not limited to (depending on weight restrictions) a 6.5 ft awning, small/med storage container (pelican/Roam) for recovery Gear, chairs, and small table, and a cooler (likely to end up in trunk).

Ultimately, I've narrowed my decision to the Yakima offgrid (medium) with extension, or the Yakima LockNLoad 'K'. With the LockNLoad, I would utilize the Landing Pad 27s (if Yakima ever decides to mass produce and distribute them for profit again), and Skyline Towers with LockNLoad SL adapter for direct mount.

So, what I'm looking for (Long winded, I know- my wife's tells me constantly) is insight, common sense knowledge, and/or wisdom regarding the pro/cons of these two very different roof rack systems. Anyone tried both? If so, what did/do you like or dislike? Lots of pictures for examples of safe loading of these two products would be appreciated for reference and ideas.

And finally, roof rack (or just roof?) weight limits. I've read the Gen 6 roof rack has only one weight limit category that is 150lbs of any type of load (static, dynamic on pavement, dynamic off road). That now seems a little absurd seeing what the Wilderness is capable of just by having different rails on top (unless it's been reinforced differently).

I obviously see everything that's weak with the non-wilderness OEM rails/crossbars, as the crossbars (to me) seem flimsy at best. The basket on top of these takes off 30- 50 lbs of stowable weight depending on the basket.

That said, the manual for the Yakima Landing pad 27 (which is vehicle specific to the gen 6 outback stock OEM rails) says it is rated to 165 lbs dynamic load.

Because this is a vehicle specific product, would Yakima really go out of their way to blur the line between OEM weight rating and their higher weight rating, when they could comfortably say "refer to vehicle owners manual for maximum roof rack load"?? I feel they're saying that if you utilize the Landing Pad 27, mounting it to the factory rails, you just gained 15 extra lbs of dynamic load.

Why go out of their way to specify a higher than OEM dynamic weight, if only to say "see how your Yakima roof rack system just blew off of your factory rails at highway speeds??? BUT did you also notice that the Landing pads are still solidly mounted to the rack laying on the ground with all of your belongings scattered in the road? You're welcome "

If you're still with me, thanks. I think that's all I've got for now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I have browsed through that one. Since it hasn't been touched in 6 months I didn't know if resurrecting it was the best approach vs starting a new one (still pretty new here). I think reading through it once or twice got me to this point, hoping for input from people who have used one or both of the products (or similar like Frontrunner, which I don't think has a gen 6 version available currently, or the thule canyon xt basket for example). Now that it's been 6 months or so, I'm hoping more people have adopted either setup and have input.

Maybe @MiamiC70 can provide updated info regarding his past and current setups, including where he feels the two systems excel and fall short?

The discussion you linked does mention weight and a few user load examples, but only using the OEM 150lb limit, and doesn't address the Landing Pad 27's recommended weight limit difference.

Does it seem yakima is saying that the Landing pads integrated into the OEM rails are stronger than OEM crossbar? I would then question if 165lb is dynamic road or dynamic off-road/overlanding. Does Subaru differentiate this, or simply say 150lb?

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Limited. LP Aventure, Bilstein, Rallitek, Pirelli, Frontrunner, Diode Dynamics
112 Posts
Platform is the way to go. Aluminum rustfree construction only. Frontrunner for non permanent solution.

here’s pics: Roof ladder

ARB makes a new even better platform. Not sure if there’s one for Subarus.

The Yakama sits very high with those landing pads in. Looks weird.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like it sits a bit higher than I'd like as well. Yakima needs to make a fairing to fill that gap in. Might streamline the look a bit.

Currently frontrunner doesn't even show a slimline II product for the gen 6.:confused: Gen 5 is the most recent I see in their product line, though it's currently out of stock. They've only had 2 years to come up with new mounts for the Gen 6 OEM rails. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,659 Posts
Hey guys,

First off, I'm sorry. This is such a long opening post. But having acknowledged it, I'm gonna push forward anyway.

I'm looking to put something on my roof to increase storage capacity. While all the youtube videos and promo photos of rooftop tents were one of the things that convinced me to get an OB, I'm now leaning towards the idea that it seems sketchy at best based on OEM roof rack dynamic weight limit of 150 lbs. Prinsu or SpiderNoDrill are appealing, but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to either.

So RTT aside, I'm looking for something to store extra gear for vacations, camping, light offroading (soft roading/overlanding???), and driving up on the beach. Gear includes, but is not limited to (depending on weight restrictions) a 6.5 ft awning, small/med storage container (pelican/Roam) for recovery Gear, chairs, and small table, and a cooler (likely to end up in trunk).

Ultimately, I've narrowed my decision to the Yakima offgrid (medium) with extension, or the Yakima LockNLoad 'K'. With the LockNLoad, I would utilize the Landing Pad 27s (if Yakima ever decides to mass produce and distribute them for profit again), and Skyline Towers with LockNLoad SL adapter for direct mount.

So, what I'm looking for (Long winded, I know- my wife's tells me constantly) is insight, common sense knowledge, and/or wisdom regarding the pro/cons of these two very different roof rack systems. Anyone tried both? If so, what did/do you like or dislike? Lots of pictures for examples of safe loading of these two products would be appreciated for reference and ideas.

And finally, roof rack (or just roof?) weight limits. I've read the Gen 6 roof rack has only one weight limit category that is 150lbs of any type of load (static, dynamic on pavement, dynamic off road). That now seems a little absurd seeing what the Wilderness is capable of just by having different rails on top (unless it's been reinforced differently).

I obviously see everything that's weak with the non-wilderness OEM rails/crossbars, as the crossbars (to me) seem flimsy at best. The basket on top of these takes off 30- 50 lbs of stowable weight depending on the basket.

That said, the manual for the Yakima Landing pad 27 (which is vehicle specific to the gen 6 outback stock OEM rails) says it is rated to 165 lbs dynamic load.

Because this is a vehicle specific product, would Yakima really go out of their way to blur the line between OEM weight rating and their higher weight rating, when they could comfortably say "refer to vehicle owners manual for maximum roof rack load"?? I feel they're saying that if you utilize the Landing Pad 27, mounting it to the factory rails, you just gained 15 extra lbs of dynamic load.

Why go out of their way to specify a higher than OEM dynamic weight, if only to say "see how your Yakima roof rack system just blew off of your factory rails at highway speeds??? BUT did you also notice that the Landing pads are still solidly mounted to the rack laying on the ground with all of your belongings scattered in the road? You're welcome "

If you're still with me, thanks. I think that's all I've got for now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
@SD4160 happy to help if I can I’ve had both.
Here is the short version:

Yes, Yakima Skyline system for Subaru makes all their racks taller than in my opinion need to be. No idea why but no point fighting it as they aren’t going to change it. Figure bottom of rack is about 6” to top of roof.

OffGrid, is what I had first and with 18” extension looks great and flows nicely with car. HOWEVER, it is the single most frustrating rack I have ever had to actually use for attaching anything to. Also, it will sit bit taller because it sits on the crossbar and trust me if you are actually going to use the rack you’ll want to add better crossbars than the Subaru junk. I highly recommend the HD bars and 55” is a good size that doesn’t make your Outback look like it has wings. Finally, forget RTT.

LockNLoad. is what I have now. The good, it’s much, much easier to actually attach things to as uses channels. Lots of accessories available from Yakima although for reasons know and understand only to them the best ones are available only in Australia. good news it I e found that ”some“ accessories from FrontRunner or RhinoRack will work or you can just roll your own. If you skip crossbars altogether you can attach it directly to the Skyline mounts using SL adapters and that drops height about an 1” closer to roof. You can certainly mount a RTT.
The not so good, it’s 6 F’ing inches off my roof should be way lower. Whistling, it will whistle at about 30 - 50mph. How bad depends on what you have up there. The fairing if you can call it that sucks. It’s a 1” rubber strip. Some day I’ll figure out something it‘s not bad enough with windows up to bother me. The “K” platform they recommend for Subaru Outback is TOO short it could and should have been made to be an easy 12” longer. Unfortunately, it’s not and the next closest size is in my opinion too wide for a Subaru Outback. So again, it is what it is.

This actually goes for both, don‘t pay retail they are overpriced. REI + ActiveJunky or wait for one of Yakimas‘s sales they typically drop prices 25% 2-3 times a year but will rotate from one dealer to another.

Subaru, rooftop weight ratings. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again those ratings are put there and promoted by lawyers NOT engineers. It’s 176lbs dynamic and figure easy 3x’s that for static. I’ve had several suv’s with roof racks never an issue with 2 caveats p, buy a quality rack and use common sense.

pictures: first 3 are LockNLoad last 4 are OffGrid. Ones with no hood blacked out are on OEM Subaru crossbars and the one with hood blacked out are on Yakima 55” HD bars.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@MiamiC70 thank you for the detailed reply! Much appreciated. Your roof setup looks awesome. What are you typically carrying up there? Hard to tell what's between the hard case (pelican?) And awning.

The offgrid seemed like the easier and faster solution (availability-wise), but I think you've talked me out of it. If I were to rush into a basket, I wouldn't spend that much for something seemingly so difficult to work with. Maybe a Rola Vortex + extension for sub $300 on Amazon. Seems long term they may be prone to rust from the inside out, but some heat shrink and silicone can help prevent that.

The 6 inch height on the LockNLoad doesn't look bad from the sides, I just wish they made a larger wind fairing option that filled the gap from the front a bit more. I would certainly mount direct with the SL adapter. Crazy that they've limited some products to specific countries... and U.S. isn't one of them.

Speaking of Frontrunner, does anyone know why there isn't a gen 6 version already? The OEM roof rack from Gen 5 to Gen 6 doesn't look much different, if at all, though I haven't climbed up and done a 1 to 1 comparison. The height of the front runner seems a little more appealing, if they made a version available. Also at retail cost, frontrunner would be cheaper not needing all of the add-ons to mount it direct. On sale would, of course, be preferred.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,659 Posts
@MiamiC70 thank you for the detailed reply! Much appreciated. Your roof setup looks awesome. What are you typically carrying up there? Hard to tell what's between the hard case (pelican?) And awning.

The offgrid seemed like the easier and faster solution (availability-wise), but I think you've talked me out of it. If I were to rush into a basket, I wouldn't spend that much for something seemingly so difficult to work with. Maybe a Rola Vortex + extension for sub $300 on Amazon. Seems long term they may be prone to rust from the inside out, but some heat shrink and silicone can help prevent that.

The 6 inch height on the LockNLoad doesn't look bad from the sides, I just wish they made a larger wind fairing option that filled the gap from the front a bit more. I would certainly mount direct with the SL adapter. Crazy that they've limited some products to specific countries... and U.S. isn't one of them.

Speaking of Frontrunner, does anyone know why there isn't a gen 6 version already? The OEM roof rack from Gen 5 to Gen 6 doesn't look much different, if at all, though I haven't climbed up and done a 1 to 1 comparison. The height of the front runner seems a little more appealing, if they made a version available. Also at retail cost, frontrunner would be cheaper not needing all of the add-ons to mount it direct. On sale would, of course, be preferred.

Thanks again.
Currently on Yakima Platform ARB 2000x2500 awning, 2 RotoPax 2 Gal Gen1, 2 RotoTrax on top, 8 Gal WaterPort Weekender, Pelican 1720 rifle case with recovery gear. 6 Baja Designs work/scene LED lights along plar perimeter and 30 inch Diode Dynamics LED bar up front.
Grille Automotive tire Building Hood Motor vehicle

Issue with OffGrid is they make it all Aero and sleek but that means no attachment points for actual using the rack. So, unless all you want is to carry bikes, kayaks or maybe a rooftop bag not sure what or how your supposed to to do it. Literally m everything from lights to waterport was a major hassle undertaking I think same would go for Rola. If doing that just get old school Yakima with round bar construction.

Yea, me too. As for availability I’ve gone as far as contacting Yakima US and Yakima Australia product managers and they cant figure it out either. Yakima is a bit frustrating as a company and always have been. They seem to cater to the “poser / lifestyle” crowd and why you find mainly at REI, bike shops, etc…

I looked at FrontRunner and it’s overpriced, they run ZERO sales, refuse to budge off MSRP, charge shipping and by all accounts assholes to deal with on every front. Pun intended.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the extra info. Similar load out would be going up on mine.

Feels like no matter what, the main theme here is "compromise". At which point a more permanent solution like SpiderNoDrill may be the route I take. At least then my only compromise is the amount of extra work installing it. Then hopefully it ticks all the remaining boxes from there on out.

I don't like Prinsu requiring drilling out factory holes, nor am I a huge fan of the idea of plusnuts over torqued bolted connections. I've never used them, but have plenty of bad experiences with rivnuts loosening over time in my line of work. Never fun.

I've searched and haven't seen anything from someone who has actually put a SpiderNoDrill rack system on their outback here. Am I just lousy at searching things?

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Limited. LP Aventure, Bilstein, Rallitek, Pirelli, Frontrunner, Diode Dynamics
112 Posts

Thanks again.
[/QUOTE]

I think your local metal fabricator can easily reverse engineer the mounting bracket likely needed to fit a gen 6.

Frontrunner has a downloadable intallation instructions on their product page. You’ll find diamgrams and pictures of the mounting brackets.

The frontrunner is quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts