Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium, Magnetite Gray
11 Posts
sounds like a great trip, especially the part about leaving CA (haha), I've lived there for a bit, and CO (and I'd happly go back there).

Enjoy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this roof box as well. I'm interested to know if there is enough room (if you shove the box to one side) to fit in a roof bike rack? Would you be able to check that for me? =)

Safe trip btw!

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
765 Posts
I'm thinking about getting this roof box as well. I'm interested to know if there is enough room (if you shove the box to one side) to fit in a roof bike rack? Would you be able to check that for me? =)

Safe trip btw!
I have the same box. Not on the stock roof rails.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
765 Posts
Yeah, creating an integrated, stowaway rack system that allows the average owner to immediately carry things on the roof without being forced to buy hundreds in extra equipment is just moronic. Shame on them!
My 18 had the low profile roof rails. I also had the Thule bars that you had to put on and take off every time you needed them (or leave them on, but they were really loud with the sunroof open). For the few times a year I use them (along with 95%+ of owners I’m guessing), the fold out bars are way easier.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 2007 Outback 2.5
135 Posts
Yeah, creating an integrated, stowaway rack system that allows the average owner to immediately carry things on the roof without being forced to buy hundreds in extra equipment is just moronic. Shame on them!
Yes but for those of us who need to use a rack more than occasionally, it is extremely limiting. I would pay for the option of having standard rails. Just because you don’t need larger bars than what Subaru provides doesn’t mean that no one does, and for those of us who do need them it’s not possible in any reasonable way.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2013 Outback Limited 3.6R
573 Posts
I pinged Yakima, again, and they responded that the control-towers should be available by 12/20, which solves this problem (if you're okay with Yakima round-bars, I suppose).
This would allow pretty much any length (within reason) Yakima bars to be used, up-top, with more or less the same clearance as the stock-system, except that they'll be actually-flat, and able to accept a lot of load-variety (even the 48's should be able to handle a box, and at least one slim bike adapter).

I used mighty-mounts, briefly, to solve this issue, but in recent months (for the obvious reasons), I haven't needed to have a box and/or multiple bike-adapters, on the roof.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
823 Posts
Other than for roof-top tents, I guess I don't see the need beyond the stock bars.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium, Magnetite Gray
11 Posts
I pinged Yakima, again, and they responded that the control-towers should be available by 12/20, which solves this problem (if you're okay with Yakima round-bars, I suppose).
This would allow pretty much any length (within reason) Yakima bars to be used, up-top, with more or less the same clearance as the stock-system, except that they'll be actually-flat, and able to accept a lot of load-variety (even the 48's should be able to handle a box, and at least one slim bike adapter).

I used mighty-mounts, briefly, to solve this issue, but in recent months (for the obvious reasons), I haven't needed to have a box and/or multiple bike-adapters, on the roof.

This is good news to me, as I have 2 sets of round bars, and a slew of racks, and while I would'nt mind getting brand new racks, thats a whole lot of money to start over.

@BillyBurger , hows the trip, hows the box, quiet? any rattle or shake? whats it going to the mileage

·
Registered
135 Posts
(even the 48's should be able to handle a box, and at least one slim bike adapter).
It depends on the box, but on my Gen 3 I have an older 1600 size Thule box and a bike rack on 48” bars. One issue with the combination of the Gen 6 Outback, the Thule Motion XT, and the stock bars is the box must be centered on the roof because of the antenna. The box has a cutout in the center for the antenna. If you don’t center that, the box pushes down on the antenna and dents the roof. I don’t know if this is just a Thule Motion XT issue as I haven’t tried other boxes on it yet. I will probably order a Motion XT XXL soon.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't recall anyone mentioning that about the motion boxes. I know you can adjust them further forward. I'm either going XL or L depending as I intend to have an awning bar going above the antennae and need the box slid forward enough to not interfere.

·
Registered
135 Posts
@Sumrtym Try to look at the boxes in person. Thule’s internal measurements are more theoretical than actual. The XL is a perfect fit on the roof. I don’t know whether the L will be much better for you because they shorten the boxes slightly front and back. Yakima publishes distance from front bar to rear of the box, but I don’t think that Thule does. When I wrote that the Motion XT needs to be centered on the rack, that wasn’t entirely true. The center channel is about 4” wide, so you have a little room to move it around. I can’t tell you much more than that as I no longer have the box.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I found the measurements from front bar for Thule. The Large of Motion XT and Force are 47.5". I'm trying to decide if that's enough or if I need to consider a Pulse M.

Of course, I really still need to see what kind of extension bars height-wise I need for locating the awning at the back. That rear door though goes up a mile because of that spoiler when fully open.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the pro version of the 16 from Yakima. I’ve done long trips with it on my 2013 legacy as well as 2018 outback. I’ve had the box for 4 or 5 years now. I’d say max mpg penalty is 3, minimum around 1. If the box is misaligned or not centered on my legacy anyway mpg was way worse than 3, more like 6 mpg lost. Since then the box has been centered. I have a touring outback that came with the Thule crossbars. One could theoretically get a box and bike up there but I’m not sure if one could open the lid of the box without severe scratching. I have a Yakima loadwarrior bike rack which is pretty wide on the crossbars. There might be better options. Perhaps one could buy longer crossbars for a touring.
The box can be noisy at times and not shut well, but it holds almost all my camping gear minus food, stove and cooler.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd eyesight
117 Posts
I have an old (~2005) Yakima roof box, I think the biggest one they made at the time, and it fits fine on my '18 OB, although I haven't taken any trips with it yet. Also, clears the antenna just fine. I used to use it with my old Toyota, and the round Yakima crossbars made huge amounts of noise when the box was not on there, while the box hurt mpg by maybe 3 or 4mpg on a Camry. I believe, however, that the new Yakima crossbars are not round, but more oval shaped, which would cut down on noise.

As for the bike rack, imo you're better off using a hitch-mounted one. Less hassle, less air resistance, and less likelihood you'll trash your bike pulling into a gas station. However, someone did rear end me once and destroyed my expensive rear-mounted bike, after which I switched to roof mount.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback Limited, 2.5l CVT
32 Posts
Yakima Skybox 16 mounted today from REI. Ready for her first ever road trip: CA > AZ > CO and back. Will report back on MPG, noise, etc. Bonus points for just fitting into my car port space at apartment complex! View attachment 493454 View attachment 493455 View attachment 493456
I also have a Yakima Sky Box. Not sure what model but it is more square than rectangular. As far as noise is concerned, I hardly know it's there. I do lose 3 MPG though when I use it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts