Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring, 2015 Outback (sold), 2019 Toyota LC 200, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - looking to buy an additional rooftop box for my 2015 Outback. I currently have a 25 year old Yakima Rocketbox and a Yakima Skybox 21. I want to buy a Yakima Skybox Lo for my skis. However, I have not seen one on a Gen 5 Outback using the factory bars so I don't know if the tailgate will open fully with this box on the roof. Anyone have experience with the specific box on the 15 Outback? Pictures with the gate open? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring, 2015 Outback (sold), 2019 Toyota LC 200, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like they moved my message to the dead letter section again. So much for being a useful forum.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Recently I needed to buy a kayak carrier for my Gen4. I tried to review the options on line, and before too long my head was swimming with all of the advice found.

I ended up going to a place that specializes in roof racks called "Rack & Go" near me. The guy running the store was a wealth of knowledge who walked me through the various options (ended up with a Thule system that folds down when not in use, plus optional key lock system to prevent thefts plus optional tie downs to connect the front and back of the kayak to the hood and rear gate).

I also plan to buy one of the carrier boxes in a few months. I already discussed a few options with the guy and will go back there in a few months when I am ready to purchase the carrier box.

·
Registered
STUBARU = 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight (package23+) Lapis Blue/Ivory
30 Posts
Yakima Skybox 21 on Gen 5 Outback

Worst case is that you will have to move the box forward a bit or set your tailgate to open a bit less. The Skybox 21 should fit perfectly on a 2015+. Look at Yakimadotcom/skybox-21-carbonite
The demo car looks like a 2015.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R, Tungsten Metallic, Black Rhino Boxers, BF Goodrich KO'2,Chrome tips, yellow lamin-x fog light film.
108 Posts
A skybox 16 fits perfect. leaves a few inches clearance. I wanted to go longer (she said), but I didn't want to have to leave the tail gate half open. Not sure what the dims are on a lo

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an original Yakima Rocketbox. I cannot use the factory bars because it would only allow me to open the hatch about 8 inches. What I did was to buy the Yakima Landing pads and use my round bars. I now can open the hatch 90% of the way, when I put the box on top, I just set the adjustment height so is does not hit.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited / 2020 Subaru Impreza
70 Posts
check out this video, rear hatch may bump rear of box if use Outback's crossbar.

I have skybox 16, it fits perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Ius5DYIJs
Same here. I researched the heck out of this before going with the Skybox 16. No clearance issues and no need to cut up the box to slide it forward. It allows full gate opening with no clearance issues at the regular install points.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have the original Yakima RocketBox you can simple drill new holes that position the box so the rear hatch can open. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Totally off topic but I’m looking to get the Yakima skybox 16 on my 2019 Outback. Does anyone happen to know what the total height is with the skybox in stock crossbars? The only thing stopping me is that it may not clear my garage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts