Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are pics of my 2010 Outback with Yakima SkyBox Pro 16s Titanium. Fits perfect.

Titanium color doesnt quite match my Steel Silver but looks better than the lighter silver imo. Dimensions: 16 cubic feet (81” x 36” x 15”) Link to specs on Yakima.com

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmmm.... That photo makes me wonder how our Rocket Box (long) will fit, but that makes this all the more valuable while we shop for cars.

I have to admit that the rack on this car is a concern where I don't see how I can get utility and value of all of our rack items (bars, attachments). Yakima customer service said their current products limit the bar spread to 21 inches.

Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in the market for one of these puppies. Thankyou creso, the 16 fits beautifully. :10: Yakima now has the 2010 OB in their 'fit my car' feature and by the looks of it any of the boxes will technically fit with the disclaimer about interference with the rear hatch. Interference would not please me at all. :3:

From the pics it looks like the 18 would just about work -- an inch or two on the back end should clear the spoiler but not foul the glass.

But, is there any need to go bigger than the 16? The rack is only rated at 100 lbs, and the box alone will consume almost half that capacity. I'm looking to carry camping gear rather than skis, etc. to keep the back free for his lordship the dog. Gear for 2-3 adults and 1 kid.

What would other people do? Go to REI and have them bring out a couple? I'm a member and there is a store within 30 mins of here. Everyone seems to have the same price on there.

Also, is the nicer lid finish worth the extra money? :confused: I guess that one's quite subjective...

·
Registered
23 Posts
The rocket box will not fit unless you drill new holes and do not want to lift the hatch up very high. I had to bite the bullett and buy the 16. But for those of us that ski, the 16 can only carry skis up to 180cm.

·
Registered
351 Posts
knibby said:
The rocket box will not fit unless you drill new holes and do not want to lift the hatch up very high. I had to bite the bullett and buy the 16. But for those of us that ski, the 16 can only carry skis up to 180cm.
Hmm.....

That's important news for me the Rocket Box owner, and making me think less of the already poor design. By poor design I mean a rack where it has been optimized for non-use.

The rack may not be a deal breaker, but it's more reason to remain a tire kicker at least until the next generation 4Runner is released later in the month.

I would not want to buy a new roof box and I really like my older one because the white top doesn't roast the contents.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT

Anyone mount a Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT on a2010 Outback? I need the longer box for my XC skis (210 cm). I specifically want to know if the box can be mounted all the way back (to minimize drag) and still not interfere with the rear hatch.

ManyThanks!
Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT

mattreis said:
Anyone mount a Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT on a2010 Outback? I need the longer box for my XC skis (210 cm). I specifically want to know if the box can be mounted all the way back (to minimize drag) and still not interfere with the rear hatch.

ManyThanks!
Matt
No dice.... I have one and I have it pushed as far forward as the OEM cross bars will allow and my hatch hits. Debating on wether or not looking for a smaller box or getting shorter struts on the hatch to stop it just short of the box... I love the size of the 1800 so I am bummed. It fit the A4 wagon no prob.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Re: Re: Thule Atlantis 1800 687BXT

ssrgeoff said:

No dice.... I have one and I have it pushed as far forward as the OEM cross bars will allow and my hatch hits. Debating on wether or not looking for a smaller box or getting shorter struts on the hatch to stop it just short of the box... I love the size of the 1800 so I am bummed. It fit the A4 wagon no prob.
Hmmm...too bad I already bought one based on the Thule fit guide info online.

It looks good (thanks for the pics!), too bad the hatch doesn't open all the way. Even though it hits, does it open enough to load and unload stuff in the back?

·
Registered
17 Posts
^ Yes, you still have plenty of space. I would say it hits on the last 1.5"-2" of opening all the way. I havent let it go all the way since I didnt want to either crack the third brake light or scratch it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am suprised more owners have not posted on this subject yet. For those of you who have an aftermarket rack system (Thule or Yakima) please be aware that you will be able to use very little of your current carriers. My wife and I ski or cycle nearly every weekend here in CO with friends and we normally carry a Skybox 18 and a six-pack powderhound in the winter or 4 bikes and a Skybox 18 in the summer on my old '99 Legacy wagon with another couple and dogs. Obviously I have huge crossbars to carry all of that junk, but unfortunately you cannot put aftermarket crossbars on the 2010 OB. They have made it where you can only use the factory crossbars which are 36 inches wide. This will only fit my Skybox 18 and nothing else.

I spoke to an individual at SOA and he indicated he had already received over 500 complaints about the utility of the new crossbar system. I feel like the new system is a great design, but I wish they had built in the option of using an aftermarket set of crossbars as well.

Just something to consider for anyone looking at the new OB.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ssrgeoff said:
^ Yes, you still have plenty of space. I would say it hits on the last 1.5"-2" of opening all the way. I havent let it go all the way since I didnt want to either crack the third brake light or scratch it up.
Phew...the wife would have laughed at me (Mr. Research) if it didn't fit the car I haven't even taken delivery of yet :6:

I think I will use a piece of foam on the back of the carrier to protect the hatch... or maybe a temporary "strut limiter" like a pre-measured piece of rope tied inside trunk and to hatch would also limit upwards travel??? Hmmm...let me ponder most elegant engineering work-around....:1:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Personally, I think Subaru should junk this new so called rack and replace it with a more traditional one where you can move the cross bars back and forth along the rails. You can always take the cross bars off if you aren't using them.:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm planning on buying the Yakima Skybox Pro 16 as well this month.

FYI, Yakima is currently a $50 rebate on the Skybox Pro series and a $25 rebate on the SkyBox series through 12/31.

Also Dick's Sporting Goods is offering a $150 gift card for any purchase over $300 through 11/30 (this may only be a southern California offer though)

·
Registered
91 Posts
hthighway said:
I'm planning on buying the Yakima Skybox Pro 16 as well this month.

FYI, Yakima is currently a $50 rebate on the Skybox Pro series and a $25 rebate on the SkyBox series through 12/31.

Also Dick's Sporting Goods is offering a $150 gift card for any purchase over $300 through 11/30 (this may only be a southern California offer though)
Apparently it's CA only: Promo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if it is nation wide but Minnesota REI's have a 20% off sale on Thule racks and cargo boxes from November 20th through the 30th.

Looks like I will be buying the Atlantis 1600 instead of an 1800 judging by the posts here. Anyone get an 1800 to fit without making adjustments to the rear struts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I almost didn't buy because of the rack. Almost.

I had an entire Thule system for my XC70: Crossroads, fairing, two Side-arms, and a Ascent 1100 cargo box for the winter. None of them would work on the new OB I was hoping to buy. I told the dealer that the rack was deal breaker. The dealer agreed to mount a trailer hitch and give me enough cash back to buy a new hitch-mount bike rack and a cargo box. After selling my old system, I came out smellin' like a rose.

I bought a Thule Atlantis 1200 (shorter that I like, but works fine) and am still on the fence between Yakima or Thule for the bike rack. Will wait til spring for that though.

I think the new rack is a great example of design by focus group. It's useless for most aftermarket attachments, and has a very questionable plastic locking mechanism. Sure, it's quiet when folded away and out of use, but for many outback owners, that's just a few weeks out of the year. It also leaves a lot to be desired in terms of styling. Kinda bulky.

I bet we'll see a modification next year.

1 - 20 of 404 Posts
About this Discussion
403 Replies
201 Participants
John Birkhimer
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing