Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a Yakima TopRack. Want to get the fishing rods out of the car. Anyone have experience with it? It will be mounted on a 2020 XT.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
829 Posts
No experience but I've looked at top mount fishing rod holders. Yakima is expensive but also looks like the best of the options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't overthink it.
Keep it simple.
Remove your Reel. Keep it inside to be sure it won't accumulate dust/dirt during travel.
And just attach your rod directly to the crossbar with tie wrap or elastic rubber
Bungee/cord/rope.

Thats what I do when I go fly fishing and I
Only have a 1 piece rod and the car is full...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,897 Posts
Not familure with the TopRack. Did you mean TopWater? If so, I've looked at them but wasn't convinced they were water or theft proof. ( An aquantence of mine had his rod locker stollen off his truck while night fishing a while back and that has stuck with me.)
I ended up going with this and am super happy. Fits in the cargo area or back seat and holds everything I could want for a weekend on the water. ( Only works for 2 , 3 or 4 piece rods though). It may/may not work for your needs .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not familure with the TopRack. Did you mean TopWater? If so, I've looked at them but wasn't convinced they were water or theft proof. ( An aquantence of mine had his rod locker stollen off his truck while night fishing a while back and that has stuck with me.)
I ended up going with this and am super happy. Fits in the cargo area or back seat and holds everything I could want for a weekend on the water. ( Only works for 2 , 3 or 4 piece rods though). It may/may not work for your needs .
[/QUOTE
Yes I meant to say TopWater. Unfortunately the rods are not able to be broken down. They are 7’ - 7.5’ long. I do like your setup.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
977 Posts
I have to get the fly rods out of the car, not for ease of use (I'd rather have them inside), but because my rods are mostly 2 pc and with kids in the car I can't put the seats down, so they just don't fit well.

My plan is a roof basket and attach the rod tubes right to it.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,119 Posts
Plumber/electrician style? PVC with endcaps?

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
977 Posts
No, fly rods typically come in tubes. Yeah, they're typically PVC and covered with a nylon cloth, zipped ends. You can buy them too.

Was thinking of getting a few aluminum ones to permanently mount too.

Note, spinning rods generally won't fit in these, you need bigger tubes. Fly rods have small eyes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you leaving them up there for extended periods of time? I’ve always used Thule ski racks for my inshore and surf rods. 7-12’.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
759 Posts
I have an older Atlas Rod Vault. Love it. Keeps the road grime off the rigged rods when I am steelhead fishing all winter, and keeps people from stealing my equipment. Is it worth it? How much do you fish, do you need the protection, etc. If you need it (or just want it), go for it. I never regretted it for a second.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited Ice Silver exterior/Black interior
11 Posts
Here's another idea that keeps the rods out of the dust and grime of being on top of the car. Get some twine, rope, etc., and tie it between the two rear seat grab bars. Now remove the reels from your fishing poles, and carefully thread the rods over the top of the rope you just strung. The rear end of the rods can hang back by the tailgate, or rest on top of other cargo. The tips of the rods will be up against the headliner, out of the way of passengers and cargo. I've done this for years and it works great.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT MT / 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
55 Posts
6" pipe with endcaps. drain pipe is cheaper than schedule 40

1 - 12 of 12 Posts