Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited Twilight Blue
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a roof rack, wheels both on, for my bikes(2). I've got it narrowed down to the Yakima Highroller or the Thule Sidearm. Any of you guys run one and if so how do you like it. Both look like they'll get the job done. The only advantage I see to one is the hihgroller has a built in lock chain for the frame. The sidearm looks like one could still undo the front hub & take the frame leaving the front wheel.... What does everyone think?

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
Subaru and Yakima have a strong partnership, so I'm partial to Yakima (for many other reasons too).
Are you using the factory crossbars? or are you upgrading them to the Yakima control towers and landing pads?
I have a set(2) of the Yakima Frontloaders. I chose the cheaper Frontloader over the Highroller, because literally, straight out of the box, it fits on the Outback. Zero assembly, modification, etc... I'm kind of a crazy about MPGs too, so I take my racks off whenever I'm not using them, and the Frontloader is super easy to get on and off. It does have a hole for an SKS lock core so thieves can't grab them. The Highroller requires you to buy an adapter so it can mount on the factory aero cross bars, which adds an extra $30+, unless you get the Yakima landing pads and control towers and use a round cross bar, which is a $300 system.
I carry my 30 pound AM bike, and my dad's 27 pound trail bike which zero problem. There is a lot of flex in the system, but I'm pretty sure 75% of it is from the crappy factory crossbars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts