Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find an existing thread where someone confirmed the compatibility with the McIntosh PF-2520i, so I am posting this for future search users.

My CD player was skipping when cold and it was annoying. I'm not an audiophile or even that big of a music fan but on road trips it is a must. I first picked up a wireless FM modulator but the sound was good but not so great. Definite difference between the CD and the FM modulator. I used a Tecboss 2017 Model W and if you want a no muss no fuss solution it's not too bad. Better using a portable player than USB flash simply because you can drive it harder and set the EQ.

I saw a dozen threads here and elsewhere talking about the Yatour, but no one had ever confirmed it worked with USB flash holding 6 folders of 99 files each.

I will confirm it. My vehicle is a 2003 Subaru Outback VDC with the McIntosh PF-2520i and automatic climate control. There are plenty of other threads here detailing the process of removing enough trim to slide out the climate and head units as an assembly so I'll skip it. Do your due diligence. Don't drop any screws! Yes, the CE-Net plug of the Yatour fits the only way possible, with the cable angled straight up from the HU.

After I fill up the folders I'll try to add more (some units are capable of seeing more than 6) but re: the 2520i I don't know yet. FAT 32 has it's limits and I may need to use the HP formatting tool to work around some of them. Google Sony PS3 external drive hacks for more. So far the unit treats the folders as an external 6-disc CD changer and if the unit does not fail soon I'll be super happy.

Important: I had to disconnect not just the battery, but the head unit also. My HU would not see the Yatour until I had DC'd the large plug in back. Upon restoring power the HU found the yatour and it functions well. Make sure you have an offset Philips head screwdriver for those 2 pesky upside down screws. Also, the screws securing the HU/Climate are a PITA. I used a cheap Walmart type bag to reinstall the screws by poking the tip of the screws thru the bag and using the driver inside the bag. Keeping tension on the bag kept the screw on the tip of the driver. Then I pulled the bag off, leaving very little of the bag on the screw.

Hope this helps someone now or in the future who wants to upgrade their system without replacing the HU and Mc Amp. Thanks for reading...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Yatour for VDC McIntosh has been discussed here in the past

we had a guy on here with a yatour item on his US spec 2001-2002 VDC wagon
( @samhandwich if you look / search for it ,... )

US spec 2003-2004 VDC (without the tape deck) I think has a better plug on the back then the 2001-2002 did.
@idosubaru, @botenredwolf may know something .

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Yeah but this guy actually did it and it worked.

Do you have pictures of this? I've got friends that want to put the McSystem in their vehicles because it's so bad4ss, but don't have any way to use modern accessories with it.

*wonders the usage of a hacked-up standalone bluetooth speaker/mic combo to add phone connectivity to this system*

·
Registered
2003 VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah but this guy actually did it and it worked.

Do you have pictures of this? I've got friends that want to put the McSystem in their vehicles because it's so bad4ss, but don't have any way to use modern accessories with it.

*wonders the usage of a hacked-up standalone bluetooth speaker/mic combo to add phone connectivity to this system*

There's nothing to see and that's part of the reason I like it. For the McIntosh PF-2520i all that's needed is to pull the HU and climate control units out (as an assembly) far enough to unplug the HU harness plug and plug in the Yatour. Plug the HU connector back in, test, and reinstall the HU/CC assembly.

As far as choosing to install a Mc HU and amp, there are way better options, IMO. Sound systems have come a long way since the early 2000's. If someone picked up a Mc system cheap that's one thing, but I would prefer the mp3 ID tags and playlist capabilities of a modern media player. Yeah, I know, just use your phone, but even touching it in Oregon while driving is illegal. The longevity of the speakers is also in question. My car is a garage queen with 90k, and 3 of the 4 Mc door speakers' rubber surrounds were shot. Shot shot.

Yatour also sells a BT box that is a plug-in for the Yatour. IDK if it can be used on the Mc without the CD changer emulator but it looks like it is daisy-chained, so probably would work.

Then there's the difficulty of impedance. I have installed 4-ohm speakers and they work well, but how long will the amp last? The proprietary link cable, under-powered sub, and wiring schematic all present difficulties should a HU or amp fail as well.

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
$400 got me a touch-screen unit capable of Android Auto. It's easy to do fancy things nowadays. USB FTW.

The friends of mine wanting it are going for audio quality, that McAesthetic, and the unique factor: "Hey, my car has McIntosh". It's possible, just not the most practical or efficient manner of doing so.

The amplifier is over-engineered. I ran it on 4x 4-ohm mains and a 2-ohm Polk 8" for a few months with no ill effects outside of "don't touch that amp, you'll burn yourself." It uses chip amps for the power stage, and they've got built-in limiters and gain adjustments for various loads. Thermal loading and overall power supply stability could be a concern if you went any lower though.

The sub only lacks because of its location and size. With a 2-ohm driver you're looking at almost 100W RMS, although I wouldn't recommend it for people who don't feel adventurous enough to replace that IC if it burns out. They weren't rated for 2 ohm loads. The datasheet shows 80W RMS @ 10% (ouch, but realistically 50W or so at a reasonable distortion level) on 4-ohm drivers. Get a nice efficient 8" subwoofer on a 4 ohm load and 50W RMS isn't terrible.

Anyway, I'm going off topic. I like doing things that are considered "weird" and that typically take way more effort than people SHOULD put into things if practicality and expediency is their main concern, so my ideas are simply that: project ideas.

·
Registered
2003 VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2003 VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nearly useless, but here is the Yatour YTM06-clr manual: http://img.mysoocuu.com/photo/ycarlink/catalog/20120810015157_1625.pdf

The unit is picky about which flash drives it will see. Most of mine are USB 3, 16 or 32GB drives, and do not work. An old USB 2 8GB works fine. Neither of the "mini" types I have work. Too bad since these are the size of a wireless mouse interface. I was hoping one of these would work.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
Nearly useless, but here is the Yatour YTM06-clr manual: http://img.mysoocuu.com/photo/ycarlink/catalog/20120810015157_1625.pdf

The unit is picky about which flash drives it will see. Most of mine are USB 3, 16 or 32GB drives, and do not work. An old USB 2 8GB works fine. Neither of the "mini" types I have work. Too bad since these are the size of a wireless mouse interface. I was hoping one of these would work.
...our VDC cars are 2001-2004 ,...yartour is a advance on that with USB 2. ...and here we are on USB 3.

one of my cousins had a 78 camaro with its original 8 track player,...and he had a rather robust cassette adapter in it. (this around 1990)

if you had one of these 45 sized record players,...you would need to round up some 45rpm records.

·
Registered
2003 VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't find an existing thread where someone confirmed the compatibility with the McIntosh PF-2520i, so I am posting this for future search users.

After I fill up the folders I'll try to add more (some units are capable of seeing more than 6) but re: the 2520i I don't know yet. FAT 32 has it's limits and I may need to use the HP formatting tool to work around some of them. Google Sony PS3 external drive hacks for more. So far the unit treats the folders as an external 6-disc CD changer and if the unit does not fail soon I'll be super happy.

Hope this helps someone now or in the future who wants to upgrade their system without replacing the HU and Mc Amp. Thanks for reading...

I added CD07, CD08, and CD09 to the existing CD01-06 folders on the flash drive.
I had to play the last track on CD06 and let the Yatour automatically move on to get 7,8, and 9 to play. The CD1button on the Mc HU lit up for 7, 2 lit up for 8, etc. Manually pushing a CD button on the HU sent it to the # pushed, not 7 8 or 9.
The only real use for 7, 8, and 9 are for trips when you want to just let these 3 extra folders play.

·
Registered
2003 VDC
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.